Can reducing your LED monitor brightness to 0,affect image quality?

mrkool123

I recently purchased a LG LED monitor 22 inches.The monitor was too bright on default settings. brightness 100, contrast 50.I reduced these setting by half.But the screen was still too bright.I then reduced brightness to 0 and now its comfortable.Will lowering this to zero affect overall image and video quality?

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I have my contrast reduced to 80 and brightness to 20. So, from my experience, you won't see any quality difference whatsoever, other than not being able to see the darker parts.

Seriously though, when I increase my brightness, I do feel great, but strains the eye so much, why can't those people balance it properly?

Anyway, 0 seems too low, I would advice you to keep atleast 10-20 to make it look proper. Otherwise, it's on your preference. :)

On Win7 you can click on desktop>personalize>calibrate color On most monitors best is to keep contrast 100 to see all colors and brightness 30-60%. Very few new monitors have auto adjustment based on your surrounding.

Changing the brightness does not affect the 'image quality' (to answer your original question).

But image quality is a broad concept. Changing the brightness could impair your ability to spot small differences in color.

i would leave contrast at 50. maybe your sitting too close to the monitor. consider some videos are rather dark to begin with.

It's a matter of preference after you take what shought said into account. From a hardware prospective the brighter you keep it, the harder your monitor has to work. With extreme brightness having a negative effect on monitor longevity and image quality over time as well. Unless I really need more, I keep my monitor at about 40 percent and have self adjustment disabled. It was/is a high end model ViewSonic 2ms monitor 5 years ago but it still has plenty of brightness to spare if I turn it up.

ofcourse not!

this will lessen the monitor monitor but doesn't affect the GPU

i keep the contrast at 60 to 50 % and the brightness at about 70 % normally . and reducing it even lower by 10 to 20 % , if working at night with room lights turned off .

its much comfortable at these levels .

full luminance levels prove to be too harsh for the eyes . you dont notice it when your monitor is set at max levels , but the eyes are indeed under a lot of stress when working on such a screen . and that takes the toll on eyesight in the long run ....

to experience it , set the levels at max and work for about 30 mins .

then lower the levels to moderate intensity , and you would " feel" the eyes and its muscles relaxing . ;)

regards the picture quality , i think it does make a difference . the lighter and darker areas , the color contrasts and shades .

but that is only a concern when doing a media job ( photo/video editing , HD movies , a night scene , and the like ... ) ,

and only then i increase the levels to workable ones ...

one software i would like to recommend is - Flux . http://stereopsis.com/flux/

this is what it does --

" f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. F.lux will do the rest, automatically.

it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. "

nice little app i like keep running . you can even set the levels manually , and it would automatically change them with the time .... :)

Archived