the best Portable/External DVD Writer ?

majithia23

howdy guys ...

well , the inbuilt DVD burner on my laptop is troubling quite a lot .

fails to pick up any compact media , blank or written . pirate or original .

if it happens to pick a blank CD ,

the burning will go through and it reports " Completed Successfully . "

but , if you pop in the same CD again , it again fails to read . " please insert a CD in the drive G : " , keeps displaying this message . duh:

and sometimes it reports CD burned ,

but after ejecting the CD , its still blank ..!!

i have run the Lens cleaner discs , but that just worked a few times and only in the beginning and now even the lens cleaner fails to be recognized .!

will any kind of troubleshooting help restore the functionality ?

on the other hand ,

i am thinking of getting an external DVD writer . a portable one .

can you guys recommend any brands or makes ? a good one ...

any which you have used and has served you reliably well over a period of time .

i especially ask , coz some one recommended me an HP as being quite good ,

which i highly doubt and dont trust , coz this laptop is HP and its all crap ...

so , wat you say ....

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi majithia23,

From my personal point of view and experience, most drives are fine when and if they still work. I have tried Asus, LiteOn, Pioneer and they lasted at least 4 yrs. depending on frequency of usage. Although, I've also seen the same brand reported to have only lasted in less than a year :dunno: . I have also read that Plextor drives are quite good. But, I believe there are lemons in every brand. :)

pain in the ar$e them internal ones, if you'd ask me. Most of them work as new, matter of making sure to get right one as a replacement , but somehow they do fail often. External ones?- well matter of being sure, that they are compatible too (IE USB 1.1 backward incomparability sometimes is an issue) simply hard to advise , just one of them try it, if works- good! if not pain in the back side. Personally I prefer to use Desktop for all burning purposes as those rarely if ever fail, never mind the age of them, they are just better!

Hi majithia23,

From my personal point of view and experience, most drives are fine when and if they still work. I have tried Asus, LiteOn, Pioneer and they lasted at least 4 yrs. depending on frequency of usage. Although, I've also seen the same brand reported to have only lasted in less than a year :dunno: . I have also read that Plextor drives are quite good. But, I believe there are lemons in every brand. :)

hey ck ...

yeah thats right as to what you say .

things esp electronics can have no guarantee as to how well or long will they perform .

but still there are certain brands or makes which do have a unanimous appeal among majority of users , as to be performing reasonably well . !

thanks for your input ,

lets see , what other users say ....

pain in the ar$e them internal ones, if you'd ask me. Most of them work as new, matter of making sure to get right one as a replacement , but somehow they do fail often. External ones?- well matter of being sure, that they are compatible too (IE USB 1.1 backward incomparability sometimes is an issue) simply hard to advise , just one of them try it, if works- good! if not pain in the back side. Personally I prefer to use Desktop for all burning purposes as those rarely if ever fail, never mind the age of them, they are just better!

hey Atasas,

yeah thats right . the desktop ones are pretty good . i too have a Sony DVD writer on my desktop which is approx 7-8 years old , and ( touchwood: ) ,

it hasnt failed me even once . no dead discs and hardly ever read errors .!

as for this inbuilt HP dvd writer , i fail to understand what its problem is .

it fails to read the disc which it itself has burned ...!

duh:

so i want an external one , which i could use ......

thanks for the link D.

but i know , its not some thing related to some settings or in the software side .

the hard ware itself is crippled , of bad quality .

such type of help pages rarely sort out such type of errors .

they are just an eyewash, a bogus means by these companies to divert the number of complaints they want to attend personally, by giving the user to play about with some thing .

at the end of which he/she is convinced that its something wrong with his Windows or he might have done something wrong , that is causing the error .

not realizing that it is the shitty components used by the manufacturer that are to be actually blamed .. !

• Administrator

I know. :)

Well, as for HP drive, it's the only drive so far that has worked more than 1 year for me. I've tried Samsung and some other brand I don't remember. I've seen Sony and LG drives too, but LG had this some sort of problem that didn't snip or read any drives and throw them out. My engineer did a lot of searching and said that HP is the only drive that's proper when I bought it. I had send this one and got a refurbished one, but hasn't caused any problems. Yes I know I know, it's HP, they make worst products, but this is the only CD/RW that works fine on my side.

Having said, I have no idea whatsoever when it comes to external drives, laptop drives and nor I know what's good these days (mine was bought 2-3 years ago).

hmmm...

as i said in my first post , this guy also recommended me an hp like you do .

and as for me, on my desktop i have a Sony drive thats working trouble free for the last 7-8 years .

and there arent many external options in Sony. the one external sony i saw was quite expensive .

and there are many other options available in quite affordable price as compared to the sony model .

but then i have no idea to their working ....

well lets see , if any other user has some experience in them

Hi!

I have burned almost 650 dvd`s in 3 years and it works great i burn at 12x speed with dvd+r platinum of Maxell, Sony and Verbatim dvd`s no fail, all good LG is perfect and fast quality.

LG GE20LU10 20x External Lightscribe DVDRW Retail Kit

http://anonymz.com/?http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/optical-media/LG-external-dvd-burner-GE20LU10.jsp

http://anonymz.com/?http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-GE20LU10-External-Lightscribe-Retail/dp/B001DCK9W8

http://anonymz.com/?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POTjVyZL61A&

Good luck! :)

Archived