Windows XP 64 bit or 32 bit?

shought

Windows XP 64 bit or 32 bit?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should one use Windows XP 64 bit or 32 bit?

• 64 bit
    • 32 bit

As the title states, should one use Windows XP 64 bit or 32 bit for normal desktop/multimedia usage.

Normal desktop/multimedia usage(IMO): Internet browsing, Chatting, Emailing, Word processing and eventually encoding a video or playing a game.

You can find some more information here.

The PC i'm going to use Windows XP(64 or 32 bit) on is mentioned here.

This is meant to be applicable on every PC that's similar to the one i posted.

Last but not least: Please don't vote if you don't know what you're talking about :) This will make the results less accurate.

• Replies 11
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

32 bits!

64bits only if you have more dan 3.2gigs of RAM. Because 32bit only supports till that amount.

Also all the programs in XP64 you want to use have to be 64-bit, and there really aren't mutch of that.

The 2nd problem is : drivers, you really need 64-bit drivers, 32-drivers would not work!

So if you have less then 3.2 gigs of RAM --> XP (with SP2 ofcourse)

If you have more then 3.2gigs of RAM --> Vista

Why Vista? Because vista also can install/excecute 32-bit programs (XP can't do that)

*Sorry for my bad English :fear:

32 bits!

64bits only if you have more dan 3.2gigs of RAM. Because 32bit only supports till that amount.

Also all the programs in XP64 you want to use have to be 64-bit, and there really aren't mutch of that.

The 2nd problem is : drivers, you really need 64-bit drivers, 32-drivers would not work!

So if you have less then 3.2 gigs of RAM --> XP (with SP2 ofcourse)

If you have more then 3.2gigs of RAM --> Vista

Why Vista? Because vista also can install/excecute 32-bit programs (XP can't do that)

*Sorry for my bad English :P

Your english was quite good actually, but i have to correct one thing: Windows XP 64 is able to execute 32 bit programs :fear:

"Windows XP 64 is able to execute 32 bit programs"

Mmm, i didn't knew that, thanks :fear:

But the only +-point of 64bit remains, that it supports more then 3.2 gigs of RAM

If you have less, it's useless.

"Windows XP 64 is able to execute 32 bit programs"

Mmm, i didn't knew that, thanks :fear:

But the only +-point of 64bit remains, that it supports more then 3.2 gigs of RAM

If you have less, it's useless.

Ok thanks for that :P

Your english was quite good actually, but i have to correct one thing: Windows XP 64 is able to execute 32 bit programs :fear:

i have used wxp pro 64 bit on my desktop and yes they can execute 32 bit programs;however many manufacturers have made more programs for vista 64 bit and skipping wxp64 bit.i have vista home premium ion my laptop.also wxp 64 cannot run as many 32 bit exes as windows vista.in my opinion.also 64 bit operating systems usually run cheaper.(my own experience)it seems to me,the only people who get 32 bit OSs are the ones who get it for free or are afraid of 64bit.hope this helps.

Your english was quite good actually, but i have to correct one thing: Windows XP 64 is able to execute 32 bit programs :dance2:

i have used wxp pro 64 bit on my desktop and yes they can execute 32 bit programs;however many manufacturers have made more programs for vista 64 bit and skipping wxp64 bit.i have vista home premium ion my laptop.also wxp 64 cannot run as many 32 bit exes as windows vista.in my opinion.also 64 bit operating systems usually run cheaper.(my own experience)it seems to me,the only people who get 32 bit OSs are the ones who get it for free or are afraid of 64bit.hope this helps.

I'm not going with vista, so what are you saying? XP 32 bit for me?

Explain 'run cheaper', please?

• 7 months later...

I think you should definitely go for 32 bit XP as it is more stable and having very good driver support because 64 bit XP sucks like hell with all loose driver support. I used it for 2-3 months and it really sucked as i use to get lots of blue screens but then switched to Vista and haven't looked back.Also we don't have that much 64 bit applications running so i would recommned 32 bit. :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

• 1 year later...

i believe xp 64 had same problems as vista 64. certain security programs and others not allowing a 32 bit version to be installed on a 64 machine.

xp should stay 32 bit. one of the problems with vista 64 was that they where not installing enough ram..

plus if you are giong to use xp then its clear thihs machine is going to be used for another 10 years. go 32 bit.

32-bit for Windows XP.

Only go for 64-bit XP if and only if:

1) you have at least 4 GB RAM and

2) you have 64-bit drivers for all your devices and

3) you don't have any 16-bit programs. As I found out with 64-bit Vista, you cannot run any 16-bit programs in a 64-bit OS.

Archived