Build or Buy New PC

csmdew

Currently I have xp 1700 amd w/3gb of ram and its just not fast or powerful enough for me. I was thing of building a new pc but found a sale on one that I would like an opinion on. This is selling for $600 so would it be better buy or could u build something equal for approx price:

Look here: buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=207544960&adid=17653&dcaid=17653

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop / Intel® Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad

Core, 3072MB, 500GB, 7200 SATA II HD, DVD ±RW 18X Multi Dual, NVIDIA

GeForce® 8500GT DVI VGA/NVIDIA GeForce® 8500GT, 15-in-1 Reader,

Fax, Modem,

Any comments appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://://://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s...amp;dcaid=17653

The link won't work otherwise :dance2:

What kind of pc are you looking for? A powerful desktop? A gaming computer? Or something for an IT professional?

It seems like a great deal... I don't think that you'll be of cheaper/better building one yourself.

If you do wanna play a game every now and then I suggest you go for a more powerful videocard (8800gt/9600gt), but for the rest it seems fine.

build a pc yourself, that's always cheaper

You should reconsider that in this case, look at the specifications of the computer he posted!

try checking out hardforum.com if you're gonna build a new rig....best to click on [H]ot|DEALS

its funner to build your own versus buying a retail box

theres always posts about deals on pc parts

Bolt_Gundam510

yea that's what i am doing slowly bulding my pc the way i want it to be. but it takes a little at a time to do it, i just need to save up and i can get the mother bord and i can go from there i bascialy have parts from this computer, from that computer. soon i am going to call this one E-gore with all the parts from different computers in it of course heh heh.

i bought a desktop Gateway for my mother, and i had lots of problem. It was cheap at first, but the reason why it is cheap is because all the parts are of poor generic quality. Yes it work BUT dont expect a long lasting PC. If you are patient build it slowly if you are in a hurry buy something else than a Gateway. When you build your PC you know whats under the hood...

Bolt_Gundam510

never liked gateway to hard to maintane and the product it self is to cheap, i like dell my self, my computer is going to be between dell and HP parts mostly dell parts here and there. when i get done it's going to have over 2 or 3tera bites or storage and a hell os a graphics card and sound card it in. i all ready got to ram cards for it and the burner drives, i just need to save up and by the other parts that i need for my frankstine computer.

Just need a faster workstation, almost never (less than 1%) play games or movies or anything except surf and do my business online. I like the basics of the puter I listed but like most not to keen on some of the parts used. Seems that cases today have gotten quite expensive but I don't need much more than MB, CPU and memory as I have lots of extra parts since I like to have spares on hand. Maybe if I can find a good but not overpriced case I will build again. Thanks

Like this MB but not enough pci ports; are there sata to pci adapters that can be used. I have several new 200 gb hd and new 20x dvd burner that are pata.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131273

appreciate any input on this one

• 5 months later...

If you never play games, then your videocard is just fine.

If you only do surfing and your business online, then why did you take a quadcore? A nice dual core will do the trick for you. But it's your choice of course.

• 2 months later...
Currently I have xp 1700 amd w/3gb of ram and its just not fast or powerful enough for me. I was thing of building a new pc but found a sale on one that I would like an opinion on. This is selling for $600 so would it be better buy or could u build something equal for approx price:

Gateway GT5628 Quad Core Desktop / Intel® Core 2 Q6600 2.4GHz Quad

Core, 3072MB, 500GB, 7200 SATA II HD, DVD ±RW 18X Multi Dual, NVIDIA

GeForce® 8500GT DVI VGA/NVIDIA GeForce® 8500GT, 15-in-1 Reader,

Fax, Modem,

Any comments appreciated.

I think if you are looking for a gaming m/c your proccy is good als o3gb is more than sufficient but you need to buy a good card so mayb 4870 will be a best buy for you.:)

Archived