nsane links problems

Cougar

• Administrator

What firewall, anti-virus and other security tools do you have?

Are your referals enabled?

• Replies 34
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well....can't u just upgrade to xp sp2 ?

Nope. I don't own WinXP. I own Vista Ultimate (Retail) but dont have any hardware that will run it yet. I'm planning to build a new computer for it... but to do it right, i won't have all the funds until end of Summer.

What firewall, anti-virus and other security tools do you have?

Are your referals enabled?

I use Outpost v6.0 and NOD32 2.70.39.

I don't know for absolute sure where to find the referrals option, but i know that i completely turned off the Firewall and still.... the downloads didnt work. But perhaps that wasnt enough.

Oops.... in spite of my windows update failure freezing issue, and my inability to install .Net Framework 2.0, it looks like i have this error message that shows up on nsane:

"We have detected you are blocking referal requests, some downloads may not work as a result! Please check your browser, firewall, and/or proxy settings to make sure referals are properly sent."

This looks like a referals issue. How can i fix it? Any idea where in Outpost this could be addressed?

It worked! It WorkeD!!

Thanks to that brilliant inquiry by 'Lite' above.... I decided learn everything i could about referrals. Found this URL: http://mblc.state.ma.us/books/catalogs/vc/firewall_help.php (Yes, i know this is for norton, but it taught me enough to navigate my own firewall) so I checked the 'Web Control' section of Outpost Firewall. (I'm going to put the solution here, just in case someone else ever has this problem... what good is a community forum if no one shares, right?)... After Opening the Settings for 'Web Control' in Outpost, I selected 'Customize'. Under the 'Web Pages' Tab (which is shown by default), i clicked on the list item called 'referrers'. By default mine was set to 'block'. On the right pane (after selecting it) it has the option for 'allow'. I clicked 'Ok', and immediately everything worked.

I also found the solution for my Add/Remove Window freezing when attempting to open: From the run command do: regsvr32 mshtml.dll and it worked.

Now if i could just figure out how to get .Net Framework to install, and my Windows Update (automatic and web-based) to stop freezing and act normally... then id be all set! I guess those 2 issues can be saved for another forum. But thanks for the help on this... to everyone who pitched in. nSaneforums Rule~! :lmao:

It worked! It WorkeD!!

(...)

Now if i could just figure out how to get my Windows Update (automatic and web-based) to stop freezing and act normally... then id be all set! I guess that issue can be saved for another forum. But thanks for the help on this... to everyone who pitched in. nSaneforums Rule~! :rolleyes:

I'm glad it all worked out.

I think i might be able to help you out with this problem about Windows Update freezing... Could you do this for me: Start taskmanager, go to the Microsoft Update page(update.microsoft.com), try to start updating and tell me what taskmanager shows? (Probably one process(svchost.exe) using 99 % of your CPU, am i right?)

If this is the case go to update.microsoft.com(again), click 'Change options'(or something like that), scroll down, select 'Disable Microsoft update and only use Windows Update'(or something similar to that) and press 'Apply changes'. There you go, your problem should be solved now. You can try updating :dance2: It worked here so i guess it'll work with your pc as well!

Guest Guest_Idle91_*

I was having the exact same problems and was trawling the forums when I saw this thread.

Outpost use here as well and the referal setting sorted me out too so big thanks for posting how you sorted you issues.

:rolleyes:

It worked! It WorkeD!!

(...)

Now if i could just figure out how to get my Windows Update (automatic and web-based) to stop freezing and act normally... then id be all set! I guess that issue can be saved for another forum. But thanks for the help on this... to everyone who pitched in. nSaneforums Rule~! :sneaky:

I'm glad it all worked out.

I think i might be able to help you out with this problem about Windows Update freezing... Could you do this for me: Start taskmanager, go to the Microsoft Update page(update.microsoft.com), try to start updating and tell me what taskmanager shows? (Probably one process(svchost.exe) using 99 % of your CPU, am i right?)

If this is the case go to update.microsoft.com(again), click 'Change options'(or something like that), scroll down, select 'Disable Microsoft update and only use Windows Update'(or something similar to that) and press 'Apply changes'. There you go, your problem should be solved now. You can try updating :sneaky: It worked here so i guess it'll work with your pc as well!

Nope. I don't own WinXP. I own Vista Ultimate (Retail) but dont have any hardware that will run it yet. I'm planning to build a new computer for it... but to do it right, i won't have all the funds until end of Summer.

well who said anything about legal ?...not me :rolleyes:....Illegal baby Illegal is the way :smoke:...just find a torrent there are thousands of them...

...why buy something you can get for free

well who said anything about legal ?...not me :rolleyes:....Illegal baby Illegal is the way :smoke:...just find a torrent there are thousands of them...

...why buy something you can get for free

Im worried that I wouldn't be able to get the downloads, or Microsoft would pop up some strange or dirty nags at some point.

Archived