XP over Vista

Ronin

bought a new pc 6 months ago with vista home premium :dance2: , wishing it was XP :angry: . Has anyone here done that? Is it a smooth change or full of conflicts, what are your thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming the drivers are compatible with XP :dance2: I don't even know where to begin

There should be a partition where your backup Vista is. I had managed to convert 3 vista to xp, the only problem I found is the sound card which only recognized vista,

finally managed to find an unsigned version by searching the Internet.Every thing is OK now.

If you have problems, you can always revert back to Vista.....

if you want to keep vista i know a website where you can make vista have the advantages of xp and use less resources.let me know.

would it be a reformat and clean install or a dload and run kind of thing

I would recommend a reformat and clean install, but first you must notes down all your hardware models and brands in order to get the right drivers for XP,

Search though the Internet to get your drivers, note down what you are going to do before reformatting and installing.

Preparation is very important, and taking notes along the way will ensure that problems can be easily trace.

Good luck!

I would like to keep vista (just in case)and have the advantages of xp.

Normally, when you purchase an OEM, the OS is partition and read as another drive. Could be D:......

When you reformat, it will ask you which drive to reformat, just make sure you don't click D:

If in future, you want to go back to Vista, just click F8 while booting up, and follow the instruction....

I'm assuming the drivers are compatible with XP :blink: I don't even know where to begin

Please remember, not all drivers are compatible with XP, you need to search the manufacturer website and read specification.

bearoninternet
I'm assuming the drivers are compatible with XP :blink: I don't even know where to begin

Please remember, not all drivers are compatible with XP, you need to search the manufacturer website and read specification.

It's the other way around actually, not all drivers are compatible with Vista. :sneaky:

I'd suggest a dual boot with xp & vista. Safest way is to install other os on a new hard disk (they're cheap) or resize and create new partitions on your original disk.

It's the other way around actually, not all drivers are compatible with Vista. :sneaky:

I'd suggest a dual boot with xp & vista. Safest way is to install other os on a new hard disk (they're cheap) or resize and create new partitions on your original disk.

Sorry, let me rephrase that, all your existing drivers for vista might not be compatible with XP. Thanks.

bought a new pc 6 months ago with vista home premium :blink: , wishing it was XP :dance2: . Has anyone here done that? Is it a smooth change or full of conflicts, what are your thoughts?

Do as I did.

My laptop is HP Compaq 6715b, I went to official website of HP support and I did a search to see if my laptop can be compatible with windows XP.

I found the drivers, I downloaded them all, I saved them in my 2GB USB and then I put a Windows XP Professional bootable disc in my laptop and I restarted my laptop.

I did a format on C:/ and Setup and I was just fine.

* But as incurable I am, I found Windows Vista Ultimate with a valid key and I removed everything I had and now am running Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) *

:sneaky:

I have nothing new to add because I have little experience with Vista.

I suggest you to dual boot and before installing XP check all your drivers.

I'm assuming the drivers are compatible with XP :P I don't even know where to begin

It's the other way around actually, not all drivers are compatible with Vista. :rofl:

i have used vista since i got my laptop with it and every driver i had on my desktop xp pro 64 bit works on my vista home premium 64 bit.

Archived