What do you think about Windows Phone 7, Samsung Focus?

LeetPirate

So I am thinking to ditch Android for Windows Phone 7. Anyone have experience with Windows Phone 7?

Unlike Android, WP7 requires that you sign in with a windows live id so I am wondering if this phone will work good enough without a data plan.

I have no use for the full qwerty keypads so the Samsung Focus is at the top of my list.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually looking at the Samsung GT I8700 Omnia7 which to my surprise has almost identical specs to the Samsung Focus. According to what I have read at GSM Arena , Youtube, and Amazon about the Omina7 most users report very positive experience for this phone. Here is what I remember

• User-friendly UI and very smooth scroll (some claim it almost feel more fluid than iOS)
  • W7 App Store is not as mature and lacks apps compared to iOS and Android. But it's catching up.
  • Great Screen (Vibrant Colors with the Super AMOLED) and great build quality.

In terms of using the phone without data-- I think it is important to note that remember to buy unbranded/unlocked phones (ie no brand logos from att, t-mobile, etc.). A rep at a mobile phone store told me that if it is branded, then there is a good chance your service provider will find that you are using a smart-phone and impose data plan upon your account. I would assume that this type of detection only applies if your branded smart-phone is the same as the brand as your service provider. This is no surprise since AT&T have been doing this for some time to track iPhones on their network without data service.

just my 2 cents on the topic, hope it helps in some way.

The Samsung Focus was built for AT&T but unlike Android and iPhone, Microsoft forced the carriers and everyone else to make their software uninstallable. So WP7 is very good in that aspect because you can uninstall all the bloatware as easy as it's done on a Windows computer. Microsoft is very strict about what software goes on their WP7 marketplace but that is a double edged sword because it also makes it more difficult for app builders to develop for the WP7 platform.

The service provider detects your phone by polling it to check its IMEI and that is how they determine if it is a smart phone, it does not matter if your phone is branded or not because they use the IMEI to bill you the smartphone charges. I found that out from a guy who works for AT&T. It was totally random cuz I was trying to find out whether I need a data plan or not and I found out that the companies poll the phone to get the IMEI and bill you. I also read that for people on the "dumb" phone plans who use the unlimited data plan from AT&T could use their old sim on a smartphone and go undetected, but as soon as they change any settings in their plan or call at&t for support and a rep makes any changes to their account the system will definitely poll the phone and update its billing profile and they will apply the smartphone charges from that time onwards. AT&T no longer allows unlimited data plans for smartphones cuz it was just a marketing trick to fool people since the generation of "dumb" phones could not really use the large amount of data that current smart phones can use.

I asked a guy on a forum if he had a data plan and he said he has been using the Focus for about a year and he has no data plan for it, he says that all you need is wifi to sign on with your windows live id and for syncing with Zune.

I was looking at the Omnia 7 but I saw a video and I know for sure that the Focus uses Gorilla glass but I'm not sure about the Omnia 7. But aside from that the specs on the Focus and Omnia 7 are almost identical but I can get the Focus for about $30 USD cheaper so that's the main determining factor between those 2 models.

The thing is I think the interface blows at this time because you can basically change the theme between a few flat colours and that's it, not even a custom wallpaper. The only wallpaper that can change is for the lock screen. I find it to be too impersonal as I am currently used to the ability to theme Android to look as badass as I want it. The UI on the Android is much more appealing to me. I would like to tell myself that maybe Microsoft will make it better in the next update but what if I take the chance and end up not liking it. lol. That's what I'm scared of, the reason I want to get WP7 is because of it's potential to become much better with a future update but I'm just too undecided.

The Samsung Focus was built for AT&T but unlike Android and iPhone, Microsoft forced the carriers and everyone else to make their software uninstallable. So WP7 is very good in that aspect because you can uninstall all the bloatware as easy as it's done on a Windows computer. Microsoft is very strict about what software goes on their WP7 marketplace but that is a double edged sword because it also makes it more difficult for app builders to develop for the WP7 platform.

I am a big fan of lite software and I hope they workout the the best mix of quality and availability for the apps.

The service provider detects your phone by polling it to check its IMEI and that is how they determine if it is a smart phone, it does not matter if your phone is branded or not because they use the IMEI to bill you the smartphone charges. I found that out from a guy who works for AT&T. It was totally random cuz I was trying to find out whether I need a data plan or not and I found out that the companies poll the phone to get the IMEI and bill you. I also read that for people on the "dumb" phone plans who use the unlimited data plan from AT&T could use their old sim on a smartphone and go undetected, but as soon as they change any settings in their plan or call at&t for support and a rep makes any changes to their account the system will definitely poll the phone and update its billing profile and they will apply the smartphone charges from that time onwards. AT&T no longer allows unlimited data plans for smartphones cuz it was just a marketing trick to fool people since the generation of "dumb" phones could not really use the large amount of data that current smart phones can use.

Are you sure that they can even detect unbrand and unlocked phones sold by the manufacturer? I would assume that the service provider's IMEI database would differ from the manufacture's list.

I was looking at the Omnia 7 but I saw a video and I know for sure that the Focus uses Gorilla glass but I'm not sure about the Omnia 7. But aside from that the specs on the Focus and Omnia 7 are almost identical but I can get the Focus for about $30 USD cheaper so that's the main determining factor between those 2 models.

I do not know why but places like gsmarena and amazon do not list gorilla glass as a feature. But searching some google reviews some claim it has gorilla glass. Not sure why Samsung marketing isn't more clear about this. However, I noticed that the Samsung Focus has a SD expansion slot up to 32GB while the Ominia has none.

The thing is I think the interface blows at this time because you can basically change the theme between a few flat colours and that's it, not even a custom wallpaper. The only wallpaper that can change is for the lock screen. I find it to be too impersonal as I am currently used to the ability to theme Android to look as badass as I want it. The UI on the Android is much more appealing to me. I would like to tell myself that maybe Microsoft will make it better in the next update but what if I take the chance and end up not liking it. lol. That's what I'm scared of, the reason I want to get WP7 is because of it's potential to become much better with a future update but I'm just too undecided.

I think adapting to W7 or Andriod would be less difficult for someone like me who has been resisting switching over to smart-phones. But, if you are already a seasoned Android user then I think the transition would probably be rougher until Microsoft has the chance to work out all the kinks.

Are you sure that they can even detect unbrand and unlocked phones sold by the manufacturer? I would assume that the service provider's IMEI database would differ from the manufacture's list.

To answer my own question, I found an interesting discussion on the AT&T forums and seems you are right about the IMEI detection. AT&T will scan your phone's IMEI (regardless of branding/unlock state) once you start sending data (picture & text messages) on their network.

Reading these type of info feels like the movie: "I, Robot" ; One smart-phone for every human. :pos:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, now back to Samsung Focus and Windows Phone 7!

• Administrator

That's crazy how they scan your IMEI to check what phone is using the Sim card are adjust the plan accordingly. Pretty much un-heard of this side of the the Oceans (you can look either side).

I like the system in Hong Kong - you buy a phone (completely unlocked and free from additional branding) and then choose the plan you want from the provider you choose. In my opinion this is the way things should be.

--------

You don't need data all the time to use WP7, although like most smart phones (android and iphone's included), its kind of assumed one will have atleast some network connectivity.

• Administrator

I like the system in Hong Kong - you buy a phone (completely unlocked and free from additional branding) and then choose the plan you want from the provider you choose. In my opinion this is the way things should be.

That's pretty much how it works here too. :)

Should be all over Asia.

• Administrator

Its not :P

In HK phones are sold completely independently. If you choose not to have a plan or PAYG, you don't need too.

Its not :P

In HK phones are sold completely independently. If you choose not to have a plan or PAYG, you don't need too.

thats a good idea actually, subsidized phones seem to be a good idea because your only paying 200 instead of 500~600 but contracts are much more expensive in the long run.

Well, I believe it will quickly drop far behind the competition. It really doesn't have a differentiating factor other than the Xbox Live connectivity.

I had a chance to visit a recently opened Microsoft Store yesterday, and I got some hands-on experience with the latest Samsung Focus S. I can say that after playing with that phone, I no long want the Omina7 :uhuh: (Unfortunately, I can only find this phone tied to AT&T service contracts.)

What I thought about the phone

- Super thin (8.5mm, I think it's one of the thinnest smart-phones I have seen)

- Size Feels good in the hand (don't feel bulky compared to some smart-phones)

- Very nice clear screen with bright colors

- Very responsive scrolling and going in & out of apps

- Organized and easy to read UI/Menus. (centralized locations for email, social-networking, and IM)

- Built-in MS Office app is nice and can be shared with desktop (useful for simple and personal document needs)

Info from the MS Rep (He was also a trained AT&T contracted wireless service rep for in-store signup)

- I confirmed that after you activate the phone with your Windows Live account ID, you can use WiFI and other things without using any data.

- Transferring media to and from the phone requires Zune software (Microsoft version of iTunes. I am guessing there is probably a workaround for this somewhere)

- W7 phone have a lot of popular apps & games and they just added 10,000 new apps last month but still far behind apple and android. ( October'11 Apps Count: Apple ~500,000, Android ~320,000, W7 ~35,000 source)

- Phone will be eligible for Windows 8 updates when they become available (Kind of skeptical about this... W8 still far away).

- The phone can access data stored on your Windows Live SkyDrive.

- Samsung Focus S is $199USD with a 2-year AT&T contract.

Overall, my user-experience of W7 phone is pretty positive and if I wasn't tied into a contract atm I would definitely get the Samsung Focus S. I didn't have a lot of time to stick around in the Microsoft store but if you have questions feel free to ask.

In regards to service provider scanning the IMEI, I think it's sad that there aren't enough people aware of these shady tactics. I think it's a dick move that phone companies think they can dictate what service you need even if you paid full MSRP on the phone. Some will say it's just business/money but I think somewhere along that line there is some personal freedom morality being violated.

That review is for the Focus S, I could only find the Focus to buy unlocked but I would really like to be able to get the Focus S because it has a faster cpu.

Archived