Firefox 10 - How big of an improvement over it's predecessor?

Tweety.Abd

I guess everybody has it's opinion. Personally, I'll never switch to Chrome, never. I tried and instantly went back to Firefox. I'll rather use IE then Chrome. Firefox is much more pleasant to use then Chrome. I mean, it doesn't miss basic features! It renders every page properly! Not to mention privacy, who knows what Chrome sends to Google, who is to much into people privacy.

Cheers ;)

• Replies 56
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess everybody has it's opinion. Personally, I'll never switch to Chrome, never. I tried and instantly went back to Firefox. I'll rather use IE then Chrome. Firefox is much more pleasant to use then Chrome. I mean, it doesn't miss basic features! It renders every page properly! Not to mention privacy, who knows what Chrome sends to Google, who is to much into people privacy.

Cheers ;)

So far, from my experience almost anything that Firefox can do Chrome can do it (if not better/faster). And if you're worried about privacy I would suggest you try SRWare Iron or Comodo Dragon.

I been using Firefox since version 1.0 and still using it mainly because I just got too used to it, but in my humble opinion Chrome is better in almost every aspect; it's light, fast, stable, and have grown to be quite extensible.

Also, a plain (not add-ons) Firefox and a plain (no extensions) Chrome both offer the same basic set of features, actually Chrome might have a slight edge (integrated Flash?).

If you're like me and got attached to Firefox out of habit or familiarity, then I understand but I would suggest you give Chrome (namely Iron or Dragon) a fair chance.

Have been using firefox for seven years

After reading this discussion, i tried chrome

And man, I was impressed

From installation to browsing, its FAST

Have just decided to shift from FF to GC

Have been using firefox for seven years

After reading this discussion, i tried chrome

And man, I was impressed

From installation to browsing, its FAST

Have just decided to shift from FF to GC

I'm not sure what happened to Firefox, it used to be one of the best browsers around. I started using Firefox from version 2 and continued till version 4 and then I had to quit because it just became unusable. I tried version 5, 6, 7 and even 8 for a while to see if Firefox got back to the way it was before, but it's just getting worse every time. Google Chrome is a very good alternative, but IE 9 isn't bad either, nor is Opera, you might also want to try them. :) Every browser has some different specialty, so you might want to use them and see which one suites your needs the best.

Hmmm, after using it for the past few days...found the latest version tend to hang sometimes.

Not a big issue but still one.

After finally getting it to auto upgrade to 8 the text font is almost too small to read and I can't get the size to change. Need a magnifier like IE or someway to change the font size for page display. Seems a bit faster though.

• Administrator

After finally getting it to auto upgrade to 8 the text font is almost too small to read and I can't get the size to change. Need a magnifier like IE or someway to change the font size for page display. Seems a bit faster though.

Ctrl + to increase and Ctrl - to decrease.

Additionally, if you want it only to resize the fonts and not whole page, press Alt, go in View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only.

• Administrator

That's odd. It's working fine here. You did try "Ctrl +" after selecting that right? :)

Also, if you want to do it system-wide, open control panel > display > set custom text size (DPI) (on left bar) > set it to something like 125% to 150%

Firefox 5 =Firefox 4.1

Firefox 6 = Firefox 4.11

Firefox 7 = Firefox 4.2

Firefox 8 = Firefox 4.21

None of the update so far has been noteworthy.

Exactly what I think. Personally don't see much of a change since 3 to 4. Should still be version 4.

That's odd. It's working fine here. You did try "Ctrl +" after selecting that right? :)

Also, if you want to do it system-wide, open control panel > display > set custom text size (DPI) (on left bar) > set it to something like 125% to 150%

I already have my sys set to custom and also have IE 9 set to 125 but firefox only works with ctrl +; the "zoom text only" option did not change anything.

Latest version of firefox tend to crash more often than previous one on by x64 W7...wtf

Are you talking about the version 8.0.1 revised version?

Latest version of firefox tend to crash more often than previous one on by x64 W7...wtf
Are you talking about the version 8.0.1 revised version?

The revised version so far seem ok...touch wood..

Well that's sad to know there hasn't been much different. I'm going to stick to Opera...IMO this rapid-release cycle is just pointless.

I am going to have to agree with tweety on this, the rapid release nonsense is just getting annoying. That is the only difference I see.

Well that's sad to know there hasn't been much different. I'm going to stick to Opera...IMO this rapid-release cycle is just pointless.

I am going to have to agree with tweety on this, the rapid release nonsense is just getting annoying. That is the only difference I see.

thats why i switched to chrome

• 4 weeks later...

Firefox is open source, many good engineers improve the code with a passion. I used to use opera, think google is a great browser (although I have reservations for privacy). I have all three on my laptop and consistantly update to latest versions. But the one I use all the time is firefox's minefield. Trully cutting edge, but not recommened to the novice to avoid an overload in the developement enviornment. These guy's are preparing to unlease mindblowing changes, after that we can really compare.

Firefox 9 witnessed considerable performance improvement over it's predecessor Firefox 8. However I'm skeptical if it's successor will bear and considerable changes. I personally use Chrome, as it runs fastest of all browsers (benchmaked using Peacekeeper) on my computer. Opera is a close 2nd, but there's no Norton toolbar for Opera, restraining me to Google's WebKit browser.

• 1 month later...

Firefox 9 was a big improvement from it's predecessor, and introduced new 'Type Inference' feature. Firefox 10 has been released. Have you noticed any changes, with aspects to performance, appearance and other features?

• Administrator

Yup. Firefox 10 feels faster in general. I'm quite regular in my usage so I can say for sure, well, atleast till now. :P

BTW, also seeing some good bug fixes.

Yup. Firefox 10 feels faster in general. I'm quite regular in my usage so I can say for sure, well, atleast till now. :P

BTW, also seeing some good bug fixes.

Its good to know that. What's the most noticeable feature of Firefox 10? For Firefox 9, it was Type Inference, but I'm not sure what's in Firefox 10..

• Administrator

Silent Update: Add-ons Default to Compatible

&

DOM Bindings: Node List and Array Bindings

As you can see. All the addons that are compatible with Firefox 4.0 are now automatically enabled. As for DOM, last time I did some benchmarking, Firefox was behind Chrome in this matter, this above update should give Firefox a good boost as far as I know, but yet to check it.

I am sorry to be a wet blanket, but for me FF 10 sucks.

CPU load is extreme and the browser itself has become

more bogged down than ever before.

Look, I really like FireFox, and I have been using it from wayyyyy back,

but I have to be honest on this, I am considering trashing this browser

and moving on to something else.

One of the things that dissapoints me the most is my damn spell checker no longer works.

This little annoyance started back with version 9. I have the option checked, I even downloaded

a dictionary, nothing works.

I will keep with FF10 because all of my incompatible addons are now compatible.

Archived