HDD died, need some help.

anemones2

Hey there first time this has happened.

On the old pc my dad uses the HDD looks to be dead, boot runs post then windows loading screen then blue flashes then loops.

I have removed them to check with my hdd dock... but I am wondering... how is the simplest way to get an OS back onto a HDD for it?

Can I image my C:drive... then install that image onto an old IDE hdd I have, then put that back into his PC and expect it to boot up?

Thank you *novice

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a 7+ minimum year old PC... using IDE HDD, there is no way i'm going to find that CD.

Can I use the OEM XP SP3 CD from my pc I am on. The PC in question is our first ever, this one is my first but a lot newer?

Can OEM be used in two pc in same household, or is there a way I can do that with out doing a registry glitch etcetera.

thanks

This is a 7+ minimum year old PC... using IDE HDD, there is no way i'm going to find that CD.

Can I use the OEM XP SP3 CD from my pc I am on. The PC in question is our first ever, this one is my first but a lot newer?

Can OEM be used in two pc in same household, or is there a way I can do that with out doing a registry glitch etcetera.

thanks

OEM you can use only in one pc instal or reinstal how many time you want...but only same pc

Hey there first time this has happened.

On the old pc my dad uses the HDD looks to be dead, boot runs post then windows loading screen then blue flashes then loops.

I have removed them to check with my hdd dock... but I am wondering... how is the simplest way to get an OS back onto a HDD for it?

Can I image my C:drive... then install that image onto an old IDE hdd I have, then put that back into his PC and expect it to boot up?

Thank you *novice

Blue screen crashing and reboot loop often is due to bad drivers or memory. Hard drive failure is unlikely to cause blue screen crashing, most hard drive failures are known by louder than normal clicking or scraping noises. Just after the bios screen press F8 franticly until the boot menu shows up and try loading windows in safe mode or last known good configuration.

Try booting from a windows cd and if it can reach the point where the setup process begins then you could probably try to repair windows. If the system crashes while booting from the disc then the memory is probably faulty.

The Hdd is dead.. it isn't a blue screen as such I just notice a flash of blue before the loop.

(won't load in safe mode)

The HDD won't load up in my HDD HUB either, but the one with file data will.

I put an old 15gb spinpoint (IDE) in and reinstalled and it is fine... only lost outlook express contacts (i had a kinda recent backup of the .dbx message files)

word templates and desktop data.

Oh well...it is faster now at least haha.

Is there anyway to get the image off a broken HDD, can you remove the hard disc itself and put it in a new case with new arm mechanism et cetera or is that reserved for ef be ai, or is it sealed in there

just curious

Blue screen crashing and reboot loop often is due to bad drivers or memory. Hard drive failure is unlikely to cause blue screen crashing, most hard drive failures are known by louder than normal clicking or scraping noises.

Haha, exactly blue screens and freezes and crashes happened to my last 2 faulty HDDs :P

@anemones: Did you run HDD Regenerator? It's really helpful sometimes. Or Spinrite.

Also, you can recover the info from the platters, but it will probably cost you 1000 USD or even much more, depending on what techniques are necessary to read the data. The recovery procedure does not guarantee 100% data recovery though ;)

Is there anyway to get the image off a broken HDD, can you remove the hard disc itself and put it in a new case with new arm mechanism et cetera or is that reserved for ef be ai, or is it sealed in there

just curious

Dust from the air will cause physical damage if you break any of the seals.

If there are no abnormal noises and it causes the blue screen crashing then it could be the controller board died from heat or it reached the end of its lifespan. Mechanical and spin failures can sometimes be temporarily fixed, many times the heads succumb to gravity and you can alleviate the situation by operating the hdd vertically instead of horizontally. Some people try weird things such as placing the hdd in the freezer but I don't know if that actually works.

In your case you mentioned no abnormal noises from the drive so I am inclined to believe that the controller board is at fault and those things can be replaced if you manage to find an exact replacement from another hdd just like the one you have but usually that is very difficult to find.

You should really try HDD regenerator as toyo suggests, if there are any faulty magnetic areas on the hdd then hdd regenerator is your best bet. It won't help for mechanical failures and controller board failures but at this point you have nothing to lose so try it.

• Administrator

Some people try weird things such as placing the hdd in the freezer but I don't know if that actually works.

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

:)

I've seen many top level editors suggesting it before too.

But before that, try HDD Regenerator. ;)

Ok... well like I said.. the drive spins up but won't show up with my HUB ...

It kind of loads up but barely gets there and freezes My Computer so there is no way of using HDD regenerator...

it is an old IDE hdd, so doubt will find mainboard for it .... I put it in the freezer

thanks for all the help :)

Ok it is a frosty cube... and makes the vague noise of

"ch-chchck ch-chchk ch-chchk brrpbrreerreerr" over and over very vaguely... just the normal hdd read sound but that pattern.

It won't show up also

By now, probably the only way to get (some) data from it is to ask a forensics lab to do it for you, they have the needed gear (but not all of them, it's expensive, so it might be needed to mail it to one of the big ones). If you're up to paying A LOT and the data is REALLY important, well... what can I say.

I've had a client that did not heed my advice to backup some of the sites I was working on back then, anyway, he had everything on a HDD that broke. He paid me further to recuperate the data and I needed to go to a pro forensics business in the end, as the drive was really broken. They said "up to 500 USD" and they offered free diagnostics for the drive, but after the diagnostics, they asked for 1000 USD, than for 2000 USD for all the data. So be aware, the prices are really high.

Long , long time ago, I had similar attempt, but kinda fixed it myself tho. Open actual HDD (don't just yank it) because one edge has some connectors) anyhow- try opening the other side, there you'll find few springs and small arm like dead on a top of disk- gently move it back to open and see if there is any resistance. I had some obvious- spring was kinda fallen between arm and a plate. Put everything back, turned to its edge (so the arm was falling on to its 0 position by gravitation and was moving by the motor up)and it worked for few hrs for me again, before it packed up again... HAMMER faith it had...

By now, probably the only way to get (some) data from it is to ask a forensics lab to do it for you, they have the needed gear (but not all of them, it's expensive, so it might be needed to mail it to one of the big ones). If you're up to paying A LOT and the data is REALLY important, well... what can I say.

I've had a client that did not heed my advice to backup some of the sites I was working on back then, anyway, he had everything on a HDD that broke. He paid me further to recuperate the data and I needed to go to a pro forensics business in the end, as the drive was really broken. They said "up to 500 USD" and they offered free diagnostics for the drive, but after the diagnostics, they asked for 1000 USD, than for 2000 USD for all the data. So be aware, the prices are really high.

Ok it didn't show up in the usb reader but plugged back in via pata in the old pc as secondary drive .. it showed up.. I think because at boot check disc ironed out errors which would have prevented this...

tried running scans on it but it drops out too frequently to do a process like that... so just copied all the stuff off of the old C:/ drive.. well all needed data and left it at that.

The freezer trick works it seems.

I think it shrinks the discs so there is less friction and the head can read it better.

haha yeah the team probably took a second look and thought ... HEY there is some pretty vital stuff on here..

I think we can charge a little more!!! :D probably wasn't more difficult

Archived