and it already too old (3 years) so i'm thinking bout changing it with

ASUS M2N68 (NVIDIA GEFORCE 7025)

PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON X2-7550 @ 2,5GHz

MEMORY 2GB DDR2 PC6400

HARD DISK SATA-2 160GB SATA CACHE 8MB

VGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GT210 1GB DDR3

CASING ATX POWER SX 450W + EXTRA FAN

my question :

1.PROCESSOR AMD ATHLON X2-7550 @2,5GHz.is it better than my dual core?

2.which build is better?

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a review with benchmarks here for AMD Athlon X2 7550. It is compared with other AMD processors as well as with Intel Core 2 Duo E5200. From the benchmarks you can weigh in how the processor fairs.

As for which build is better, the Athlon X2 7550 is a fairly old processor, but I don't know if it's still available from your area. If you're on a budget and you want AMD, you might want to look at Athlon II X2 models or even the X3 and X4. :)

Your getting some1 else old computer to cheaply replace your slower one?

You will be getting like 5% more performance, if any improvement at all.

Better try to go with something newer and better. Athlon ll x2 240-260 + 2-4gb ddr3 + DX11 supported GPU + 500gb Western Digital HDD 16-32mb cache. These old good parts can be gotten really cheap in shops, where and when you planning to buy and what price?

Hello,

First of all, I extremely suggest you not to go for nForce chipsets, they are just shit, you should choose an AMD chipset for better performance.

About CPU, if you can go for Bulldozer, if not, don't worry; get a high-end Phenom II quadcore and enjoy it, If you want to buy Bulldozer, you mainboard should be AM3+ socket, it's a little bit more expensive that AM3, if you go for Phenom II, try to buy 890FX or other 8xx models and of course from ASUS.

For VGA, I highly recommend you 6000 Series from AMD, even the very low models of it have amazing performance + DX11 capable, for example. 6550 or 6570.

For RAM, I suggest you Corsair and Crucial, go and see what you need, choose DDR3 with a dual kit you need, I suggest 8GB 1666MHz or 4GB 1333MHz or what else you can buy with your budget.

For H.D.D., try to get a SATA-6 from Western Digital, or if you want to spend a little more, I suggest SSDs; if not, SATA-3 models are also very good.

No idea, on Case and Power, if you are not a Power User or High-End Gamer, the case will be matter of taste, and power should be enough for all you want to buy. ;)

Thanks, ;)

Nima

There is a review with benchmarks here for AMD Athlon X2 7550. It is compared with other AMD processors as well as with Intel Core 2 Duo E5200. From the benchmarks you can weigh in how the processor fairs.

As for which build is better, the Athlon X2 7550 is a fairly old processor, but I don't know if it's still available from your area. If you're on a budget and you want AMD, you might want to look at Athlon II X2 models or even the X3 and X4. :)

thank you ! :)

Your getting some1 else old computer to cheaply replace your slower one?

You will be getting like 5% more performance, if any improvement at all.

Better try to go with something newer and better. Athlon ll x2 240-260 + 2-4gb ddr3 + DX11 supported GPU + 500gb Western Digital HDD 16-32mb cache. These old good parts can be gotten really cheap in shops, where and when you planning to buy and what price?

well a shop sell it already built up that way :P umm maybe around $180 with today currency :o

after read your post,maybe i should save up some more :D

look for phenom processors its better :)

Hello,

First of all, I extremely suggest you not to go for nForce chipsets, they are just shit, you should choose an AMD chipset for better performance.

About CPU, if you can go for Bulldozer, if not, don't worry; get a high-end Phenom II quadcore and enjoy it, If you want to buy Bulldozer, you mainboard should be AM3+ socket, it's a little bit more expensive that AM3, if you go for Phenom II, try to buy 890FX or other 8xx models and of course from ASUS.

For VGA, I highly recommend you 6000 Series from AMD, even the very low models of it have amazing performance + DX11 capable, for example. 6550 or 6570.

For RAM, I suggest you Corsair and Crucial, go and see what you need, choose DDR3 with a dual kit you need, I suggest 8GB 1666MHz or 4GB 1333MHz or what else you can buy with your budget.

For H.D.D., try to get a SATA-6 from Western Digital, or if you want to spend a little more, I suggest SSDs; if not, SATA-3 models are also very good.

No idea, on Case and Power, if you are not a Power User or High-End Gamer, the case will be matter of taste, and power should be enough for all you want to buy. ;)

Thanks, ;)

Nima

gotta save up a lot for it :lol: i'm jobless right now (just quit from my job yesterday) :P

thank you for the suggestions guys ! :D

You could overclock your CPU to 3.2 GHz-ish easily (I purchased an e2200 for somebody and it worked fine). I'll point out what you need to buy to patch your PC until you find another job or decide to become a thief ;)

- aftermarket CPU cooler, thermal compound, OC as much as you can.

- optional: skip the cooler, buy a cheaper (used) Quad, like Q9400. Even a Q8000 series will be a beast compared to your e2200 if you overclock it properly.

- another 2 GB RAM, same model as you have / Better variant: save your RAM, buy 4 GB of the best RAM your MB can support (DDR2 1066 probably)

- optional: if you play (newer) games: GTX 460; It's good to invest as much money as you can in the videocard if you want 1080p and High settings on the games

- might be needed: a better PSU (450-500 W). Don't invest here (yet), get a cheap one , as you will upgrade it again when you upgrade to a new platform.

---------------------

Used Quad+4GB DDR2-1066+GTX 460 768MB+shitty 500W PSU=300-400 USD, prices are very different depending on country. Without the quad, 250 USD...

Even better is to save money and make do with what you have until you have enough to buy a serious PC (1000-1500 USD-ish). That way you avoid this "patching" job and save some money on the long run.

You could overclock your CPU to 3.2 GHz-ish easily (I purchased an e2200 for somebody and it worked fine). I'll point out what you need to buy to patch your PC until you find another job or decide to become a thief ;)

- aftermarket CPU cooler, thermal compound, OC as much as you can.

- optional: skip the cooler, buy a cheaper (used) Quad, like Q9400. Even a Q8000 series will be a beast compared to your e2200 if you overclock it properly.

- another 2 GB RAM, same model as you have / Better variant: save your RAM, buy 4 GB of the best RAM your MB can support (DDR2 1066 probably)

- optional: if you play (newer) games: GTX 460; It's good to invest as much money as you can in the videocard if you want 1080p and High settings on the games

- might be needed: a better PSU (450-500 W). Don't invest here (yet), get a cheap one , as you will upgrade it again when you upgrade to a new platform.

---------------------

Used Quad+4GB DDR2-1066+GTX 460 768MB+shitty 500W PSU=300-400 USD, prices are very different depending on country. Without the quad, 250 USD...

Even better is to save money and make do with what you have until you have enough to buy a serious PC (1000-1500 USD-ish). That way you avoid this "patching" job and save some money on the long run.

if i can i dont want to overcloak my PC,cuz they said it's shorten your PC life :o

1500 USD :o

if i want to became a thief i'll remember your suggestions :P

i found some new stuffs :D

mobo : Biostar a740g-M2l (am2+support phenom X4)

proc : phenom X3 8600

RAM : 2x1Gb DDR2 Venom RX with heatspreader

VGA : HIS HD 4650 512M/128bit/DDR3

HDD : standard seagate baracuda 250 Gb

PSU: Lcute 500watt

how bout this build? xD

after calculating so much i can buy this around $230

and all of them are brand new :D

1500 USD approx for a new PC. You missed the previous line. Patching your PC should be 250 USD approx.

Overclocking your PC would do no harm, if you do it properly. Plus, it doesn't really matter if your CPU will live 10 years instead of 15, doesn't it?

It's pretty pointless to buy a whole new PC (which is very outdated), when you can patch yours with new components and make it stronger, with the same money.

Question: do you need a powerful videocard? What games do you play and what is your monitor's resolution?

1500 USD approx for a new PC. You missed the previous line. Patching your PC should be 250 USD approx.

Overclocking your PC would do no harm, if you do it properly. Plus, it doesn't really matter if your CPU will live 10 years instead of 15, doesn't it?

It's pretty pointless to buy a whole new PC (which is very outdated), when you can patch yours with new components and make it stronger, with the same money.

Question: do you need a powerful videocard? What games do you play and what is your monitor's resolution?

well if it's time for me to overcloak,at least i know someone to talk too :P

my screen res atm 1360x768 samsung syncmaster 633nw

well i played all kind of games mostly online games such as lineage2 :D (still freezing sometimes at high resolution and when it's on medium and low res,the range of vision in the game far from good :lol:

the last one my cousin played on my PC is AVP3 and it's still laggy on high resolution specially when you play as alien it will freeze for around 8-15 sec everytime you use some skill that make it run so fast :lol:

Then try to see how much these components will cost you:

- GTX 460 768 MB (get one with 1 GB if you have the money)

- a cheap, used Core2Quad (Q8200, 9300... the best you can buy), or a cheap/fast Core2Duo (like e7600) that you can overclock to 3.6-3.8 GHz pretty easy.

- another 2 GB RAM of the same type you have now.

If you have a 500 W PSU, you're set, if not, then you need a PSU too.

The quad plus the GTX 460 will allow you to play at High (or even Ultra for some games) settings on 1366x768, and sometimes you will be able to add some antialiasing, for a very decent framerate.

i got the PSU for a cheap price so all i can afford are

Motherboard Biostar GF8200

AMD Athlon X2 Kuma 7750 @2.7Ghz

Memory DDR2 2GB PC6400

Harddisk WDC Black 500GB

VGA GeCube Radeon HD4830 512MB 256bit GDDR3

PSU Simbadda Black 500W LTW

all of them for around $210 and i'm buying them tomorrow :D

gotta save up more for better processor and RAM :o

core2quad still too expensive for me $112 for the processor alone and GTX460 1Gb 256 bit for $150 :(

gotta find a good job first thou xD

What you are doing is not upgrading, but almost crossgrading, although the HD 4830 is much more powerful compared to the 9400GT.

Never hurry to buy things.

You seem to miss the point here: do you really need to change your actual motherboard, and go to AMD? WHY?!? Is your Asus broken?

Don't hurry up to buy this dual-core AMD, it's not much better than what you have! The 4830 can do 1366x768 at Medium-High settings, but you will suffer with only 2 GB RAM.

You really need to be patient, and take time until you can get enough money to buy an upgrade serious enough to make an impact.

112+150=262, only 52 USD more! You can ask from one of your friends, or family, better do this than buy something you will soon regret (trust me).

There are also GTX 460 768 MB RAM, that are cheaper!

And if you cannot get a quadcore (but why not? Just have patience and get those 50 USD from somebody), then get a fast dual-core like the E7600 I have mentioned. E8600 would be best for a dualcore on LGA775, if you can find one used.

So, do have patience! Don't hurry things up, it's only in your advantage.

What you are doing is not upgrading, but almost crossgrading, although the HD 4830 is much more powerful compared to the 9400GT.

Never hurry to buy things.

You seem to miss the point here: do you really need to change your actual motherboard, and go to AMD? WHY?!? Is your Asus broken?

Don't hurry up to buy this dual-core AMD, it's not much better than what you have! The 4830 can do 1366x768 at Medium-High settings, but you will suffer with only 2 GB RAM.

You really need to be patient, and take time until you can get enough money to buy an upgrade serious enough to make an impact.

112+150=262, only 52 USD more! You can ask from one of your friends, or family, better do this than buy something you will soon regret (trust me).

There are also GTX 460 768 MB RAM, that are cheaper!

And if you cannot get a quadcore (but why not? Just have patience and get those 50 USD from somebody), then get a fast dual-core like the E7600 I have mentioned. E8600 would be best for a dualcore on LGA775, if you can find one used.

So, do have patience! Don't hurry things up, it's only in your advantage.

alright will take a note for it,guess i'm staying with my E2200 PC till i save some more (or borrow it from somewhere) :D

Thank you for the suggestions!

Thank you!

In the meantime, maybe more people will post in this thread and give you advice, so it's a win-win. Patience is king! Or is it queen? :P

• Administrator

I'll say it depends on your budget. If you have money for future and are getting money, then you can spend on things right now.

Otherwise, these days, hardware gets old really really fast. Processors for an example, before, the number of transistors used to get doubled every 18 months, it's said that Intel has speed up things and changed it to 12 months or so, means you are going to see new major processors every year or so, making the older ones outdated. So, don't waste money on anything unless you gather it and make an monster, or if not so, something that works good in short future and gives satisfaction.

I'll say it depends on your budget. If you have money for future and are getting money, then you can spend on things right now.

Otherwise, these days, hardware gets old really really fast. Processors for an example, before, the number of transistors used to get doubled every 18 months, it's said that Intel has speed up things and changed it to 12 months or so, means you are going to see new major processors every year or so, making the older ones outdated. So, don't waste money on anything unless you gather it and make an monster, or if not so, something that works good in short future and gives satisfaction.

yep i'm not gonna build a monster thou,i'll save up more to buy E8600 and upgrade my current RAM after that i'll upgrade my VGA :D

You already have a dual-core that you can overclock at near e8600 performance level. What you need is RAM (for general application performance etc.) and a videocard for gaming, Aero and other GPU accelerated tasks.

So, you might want to change the order of things a little, buy the videocard, the RAM, and after that the CPU :)

Are you still afraid of overclocking? It should be a breeze to achieve 2,6-2,8 GHz. I have an [email protected] GHz myself (OC at 3.33 GHz usually, with speedstep and other powersaving features turned on), and even at 2.5 GHz is a pretty good CPU. There's not such a big difference between our CPUs. I could easily do my stuff with an E2200, so unless you really need a (not much) faster CPU, make it the last change you do.

Then, there is the benefit you achieve through the purchase of a GTX 460, which is so much better than a 9400GT, there's no comparison. While the e8600 is better than e2200, the difference is smaller.

Archived