Increase Maximum Transfer Size Of USB From 64KB To 2MB In Windows 7 And Windows Server 2008 R2

madeinheaven

Increase Maximum Transfer Size Of USB From 64KB To 2MB In Windows 7 And Windows Server 2008 R2

Do you find your USB transfer rate on Windows 7 too slow? How to increase the transfer speed of your USB drive, especially when you’re backing up a huge amount of files which takes hours. Good news, Microsoft has release a new hotfix to fix the slow transfer speed of USB flash drives and hard disk.

This fix introduces a new feature that enables you to update the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2. After you install this update, you can increase the maximum transfer size from 64 kilobytes (KB) to 2 megabytes (MB) in the Usbstor.sys driver. First, you’ll have to download the hotfix from the official website.

Microsoft has release an update to help users potentially increase their USB storage device transfer speeds. KB2581464 is the knowledge base article and the KB2581464 fix can be downloaded from here. After the fix you can change the maximum transfer size from 64KB all the way up to 2MB with the following directions:

Posted Image

• Step 1 – Click on start orb
  • Step 2 – Type ‘Regedit’
  • Step 3 – Select the ‘regedit.exe’, navigate to ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\’. You’ll see a list of random numbers and alphabets. These are all the USB devices plugged into your computer previously.

Posted Image

• Step 4 – Select one of the folder, click on ‘Edit’ and then ‘New’
  • Step 5 – Choose ‘DWORDValue’

Posted Image

• Step 6 – Type ‘MaximumTransferLength’ and create the new string, double click on the newly created string.
  • Step 7 – A new dialog appears as shown above, insert the following value ’2097120′
The hotfix is compatible with Windows 7, Sp1 & Windows 2008 R2 (32 as well as 64 bit operating system).

Source: geckoandfly

• Replies 15
  • Views 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could you supply a link to the hotfix please

Microsoft has release an update to help users potentially increase their USB storage device transfer speeds. KB2581464 is the knowledge base article and the KB2581464 fix can be downloaded from here. After the fix you can change the maximum transfer size from 64KB all the way up to 2MB with the following directions:

Could you supply a link to the hotfix please

Thank you very much

In step 7 please note that you should set the base to "Decimal" before setting the value to "2097120". Don't leave it set to Hex as shown in the screen shot.

Here are some more convenient download links so you won't have to request it via email.

KB2581464_intl_i386_zip.exe (358.19 KB) http://www.multiupload.com/ZSEY0A0VE2

KB2581464_intl_x64_zip.exe (366.1 KB) http://www.multiupload.com/1NQEB30G8A

Thanks much guys for this info. Simple to follow instructions....nice tutorial madeinheaven.

• Administrator

Be careful if you try this trick as this will increase the potential for dataloss and/or corruption.

Be careful if you try this trick as this will increase the potential for dataloss and/or corruption.

Just how likely is this to occur? And what if you set the max rate to say 1mb?

• Administrator

I don't think there is a quantitative measure. Windows employs a CRC on all file transfers, but this isn't fool proof. The other thing to consider is power loss.

got it too work, had to add to each folder under 'usbstor'

getting speeds on my Seagate drive using windows default copy handler of up to 115mb/s

and

using TeraCopy v2.22 pro, up to 90mb/s

that was transferring a 4gb file

so at least they have sorted something out for USB 2 to double the speed anyway

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

thanks for this thread as it's the only one found on the internet with an answer. However, my bad news is that this fix does not work for me.

Win7 32bit SP1 Intel i5 4GB Ram

when copying a large file 14.5GB to my Duracel USB 64GB stick (reformatted to NTFS), I get a declining transfer speed which bottoms out at about 3MBs but starts higher such as 20-30MBs for just a few seconds.

I have done Device Drive policies to "Better Performance" for the USB 2.0 stick

I did the fix, changed the value to 2097120 (2MB), rebooted, but this fix has no effect.

Archived