Hide all System Tray Icons

Marik

Some applications that are running in the background are displaying an icon in the Windows System Tray to give the user faster access to the program’s options. While this option is useful for some applications it does look kinda ugly especially if a lot of icons are visible in the system tray.

If you like a more beautiful appearance of Windows you could hide all system tray icons. The programs would still be running in the background but the icons would not be visible anymore. It’s possible to hide the icons using a Registry setting. Press Windows R, type regedit and hit enter.

Now navigate to the Registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer" and check if the DWORD entry "NoTrayItemsDisplay" is already available in the left pane. If it is not create a new DWORD with that name. Now double-click the entry and change the value to 1.

The left image is a picture of my system tray and the right one a picture of it after applying the Registry setting.

Note that you have to log off or restart the computer before you can see the change.

260vf9k.jpg becomes 15g4bap.jpg

view.gif Source: DotNetWizzard

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you could also stop the programs from running until you need them?i only have a/v and battery strength and network connection running except when i download then i have peerguardian and utorrent.i cant think of any other crap i would want running except for some anti spyware,maybe?i prefer to see these so i know they are running.how would your know if your a/v suddenly turned off or the battery in your laptop would be dead in 10 minutes etc.seems like a crazy thing to do. like running administrator account all the time.your just asking for .trouble because someone is too lazy to stop programs from running all the time. i do not recommend doing this.

do you have to restart after creating the entrty ? I tried it without restarting and nothing happened.
Note that you have to log off or restart the computer before you can see the change.

u edited and added that ddnt u ? :P thx for the reply.

no i didn't....:)

the original post looked like this

The left image is a picture of my system tray and the right one a picture of it after applying the Registry setting. Note that you have to log off or restart the computer before you can see the change.

I only made a modification on the "Note that you have to log off or restart the computer before you can see the change" line....and inserted a bold code...

weird, I read the whole post befor asking my question :dance2: any way any idea why it works ? I mean why does naming it "NoTrayItemsDisplay" give it its function and works ? Where is it pre-defined ?

cool so we dont wast memory :welcome: from the computer cuz those little icons use lots of memory...

nice info <_<

Actually the background proggies themselves use the memory, this still leaves them running, just hides their tray icons, so it has no effect on performance whatsoever..

Archived