NOD32 Reporting PeerGuardian To Be A Virus

DJPrice

I have noticed that pg2 has been removed by nod32 as it is reporting it to be a "probable variant of win32/peerguardian application". I thought I would bring this up as I'm currently using utorrent & noticed the pg2 icon has gone from system tray. I wonder why eset are now saying it's a virus :sneaky:.

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have noticed that pg2 has been removed by nod32 as it is reporting it to be a "probable variant of win32/peerguardian application". I thought I would bring this up as I'm currently using utorrent & noticed the pg2 icon has gone from system tray. I wonder why eset are now saying it's a virus :sneaky:.

I had the same thing happen and was forced to exclude the PG2 directory...

I had the same thing happen and was forced to exclude the PG2 directory...

I have also excluded it. I also noticed that PG2 was now blocking nod32 updates from running.

Now to retaliate PG is blocking updates.. and or ESET got some kinda anti p2p thing on.. so switch to Kaspersky very similar.. or just add it to the allowed files

ps: pg also blocks Kaspersky sometimes... :dance2: ehhhh

Now to retaliate PG is blocking updates.. and or ESET got some kinda anti p2p thing on.. so switch to Kaspersky very similar.. or just add it to the allowed files

ps: pg also blocks Kaspersky sometimes... :sneaky: ehhhh

The thing with kaspersky though is there's no u know what on the d/l link. Also surely they expire a lot with kaspersky whereas nod32 has various ways to still use it.

ps: pg also blocks Kaspersky sometimes... :sneaky: ehhhh

The thing with kaspersky though is there's no u know what on the d/l link. Also surely they expire a lot with kaspersky whereas nod32 has various ways to still use it.

We can PM the you know what... lol :dance2:

im using nod 32 2.7 and dont see a problem with the pg2 from the link from this site. dont use the orginal site of pg2. it was stolen/hacked.

im using nod 32 2.7 and dont see a problem with the pg2 from the link from this site. dont use the orginal site of pg2. it was stolen/hacked.

I believe that the dectection of pg2 was introduced in signiture version 2894.

yesterday, with nod32 2.7 , i haven't got any problem, even scanning the peerguardian folder.

this morning, i got the 2895 virus signature, and nod32 detected pg2.exe , starting with windows, as a threat.

another folder to exclude from realtime scanning...

Eset seem to like, more and more, name apps he dislike as virus

nod32 patches as hackAV virus(without any confirmation to delete them), peerguardian as peerguardian virus.

but...

since PG block some nod32 update server, they are right about considering PG as a threat.

i just try to update nod32, without peerguardian blocking, but it seem all servers aren't blocked...

Yup, true, this is really bs..

But I excluded the pg2.exe & installer exe and now it's all good.. But really lame move by ESET..

But it's indeed probably cos it's blocking some eset servers..

Excluding instructions for n0bz:

http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showpost.php?p=114126&postcount=15

For the lazy people lol ............... posted by pandaking from Phoenix Labs here is the link again ;) from original post

Solution

Step 1: Excluding PeerGuardian

* Open up ESET NOD32

* In the top right of you screen click "Setup" and then "Advanced Setup" or just hit the "F5" button on your keyboard.

* Under the heading "Antivirus and antispyware" click on "Exclusions".

* Click "Add" and navigate to your PG2 Folder (C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2).

* Click "OK" on the folder, and you should be left with "C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\*.*" in your exclusion list (make sure the *.* bit is there, it's important).

Step 2: Restoring PeerGuardian

* Open up ESET NOD32

* In the bottom left of the display, it should say "Advanced Mode".

If it doesn't just click where is says "Standard Mode" and then click "Toggle Advanced Mode".

* Click "Tools" then "Quarantine" and if you see PeerGuardian listed there, select it and click "Restore".

PLEASE NOTE:

If you don't do it in this order, in adding the directory to the exclusion list, you may have triggered NOD32 to quarantine PG2 again.

If this is the case, then just follow the instructions on restoring PG2 again.

Thing to do after:

If you don't like adding the entire directory, we can just exclude the pg2.exe file. But you need to add the directory to the exclusion list first, otherwise everytime you try to add pg2.exe to the exclusion list it will quarantine it! :D

* Go to your exclusion lists, select the PG2 exclusion and click "Edit".

* Locate your "pg2.exe" file (C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe)

* Select it and click "OK".

;) Enjoy

For the lazy people lol ............... posted by pandaking from Phoenix Labs here is the link again :P from original post

I made that post over at phoenix labs :dance2: hehe, It's good to see people are not happy with it. Bluetack added eset ranges as they had been found on p2p trackers or something along that line.

wait next update from eset they fix the PG2 Detection

Lets hope they do! I'm guessing you mean signiture update rather than program update?

yes signature update

see what's eset modrator say

MARCOS

We have reconsidered detection of PeerGuardian and it will be removed in the upcoming update. However, we will actively continue protecting our users from blacklists that contain the IP addresses (ranges) of our update servers and thus preventing our paying or trial users receiving updates and keeping their computers protected. We expected that we would resolve this problem on a professional level instead of the communication attempts of our attorney with Bluetack ISS being refused and their childish unproffesional action of banning access to their forum from ESET's IP.

AND BlueIce PhoenixLabs Moderator SAY

I would like to thank you for reconsidering the detection of PeerGuardian 2. We at PhoenixLabs were not aware of this problem until Escalader posted about it over on our forum and then later on the many of users saying that NOD32 was wanting to uninstall PG2. We would have treated the matter the same as we usually do when some blocklist blocks IPs for programs and games that our users use. We direct them to either allow list or tell them how to unblock the IPs b/c PG2 is capable of doing both. But as said thank you again for the reconsideration of the detection.

SO CASE IS CLOSE

Its better to use Kspersky internet suite rather than nod32 because its only antivirus u have install a antispyware again for spyware and stuff with kaspersky you get all in one bag.... :P :dance2:

Its better to use Kspersky internet suite rather than nod32 because its only antivirus u have install a antispyware again for spyware and stuff with kaspersky you get all in one bag.... :P :dance2:

In a way that could be shown to be a bad thing as I & a lot of people prefer to have various layers of security from various programs rather than all the security in one. As if that one program fails you are buggered, whereas at least with layers you have backups to help you out. Each to there own!

Archived