Anti Virus Advice

Guest Flametonguex

Guest Flametonguex

Hi. I was told that NOD32 was the best free anti virus to use. Is this true + does it have access to update the virus definitions. Also i want to download this but the download link for windows xp doesn't work. Also would you say its much better to get this than AVG. Also could you suggest a very good firewall from this site becasue i dont know which to get sygate or outpost?

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

1) Nod32 isn't free.

2) AVG an OK (at best) product.

3) Both Sygate and Outpost are good products - try them both see which YOU like the best (only one at a time...). Outpost is prolly the easier to use one.

make the 30 day evaluation last 40,000 years every pc reboot, which they don't want you doing, it costs $39 after the 30 days are up :lol:

Everyone has their own personal favourite when it comes to AV and firewall software, so opinions are going to vary immensly.

Personally, I use Symantec for my AV and Sygate Pro and haven't had any problems with either. Just please avoid Zone Alarm. Far too many bugs for my liking.

As Lite mentioned above, it all boils down to how YOU find the product and whether you find one easier to naviagate than another. At the end of the day, it's your perogative if you decide to keep it on your system. If you don't find one that satisfies your needs, simply uninstall and try another.

• Administrator
Just please avoid Zone Alarm. Far too many bugs for my liking.

With the old 5.x releases i would agree. However the new 6.x versions seem to be much more stable and bug free.

[...]Outpost is prolly the easier to use one.

Really? Hmm, thats interesting.. I always though Sygate would be easier to use.

With the old 5.x releases i would agree. However the new 6.x versions seem to be much more stable and bug free.

is version 6.. more user friendly? ei setting up the ports inside zonealarm? i have never liked version 4 and 5 when it came to port setup.

• Administrator
Really? Hmm, thats interesting.. I always though Sygate would be easier to use.

Yes, outpost is prolly the easier to use. Aleast this is the feeback i've had.

is version 6.. more user friendly?  ei setting up the ports inside zonealarm?  i have never liked version 4 and 5 when it came to port setup.

I've found all versions of zone alarm pretty easy to use.

I found all the versions of Zone Alarm very easy as well... along with Kerio...

Sygates on my company systems...

Yes, outpost is prolly the easier to use. Aleast this is the feeback i've had.

I've found all versions of zone alarm pretty easy to use.

the port setting options to do it always seems unfriendly. not liek other firewalls. everytime i had to do it i had to take a refresher course on zonealarm port setting. i stop using it because of yEnc newsgroup problems. and it didnt seem to block stuff unlike other firewalls. oh well.

Guest justice4all

I used McAfee Anti-Virus for about 5 years (paid4), and then I heard about NOD. I typed in "NOD32 download" and I found this site, found the fix, and I was over the moon! It has never given me any problems.

ps. And I trust it alot more...probly cos of the daily,(sometimes 2 or 3x a day) updates. NOD32 wins hands down! :)

SliverSamuel

Why don't we use norton systemworks? It has AV and firewall. :)

Why don't we use norton systemworks? It has AV and firewall. :)

I use SystemWorks, and it does not contain a firewall. It does however, have "Worm Protection" which in my opinon can not be substituted for a proper fully working firewall such as Sygate or Outpost.

the port setting options to do it always seems unfriendly.  not liek other firewalls.  everytime i had to do it i had to take a refresher course on zonealarm port setting.  i stop using it because of yEnc newsgroup problems.  and it didnt seem to block stuff unlike other firewalls.  oh well.

Hmm, I always found ZoneAlarm very easy to configure.. I had been using it for a long time though. Perhaps i just got used to it.. ;) I use SyGate now

• Administrator

I wouldnt count on just VirusP's tests. Their are several flaws to them.

Rudeboy2025

I used McAfee for quite some time and used Zone Alarm for the firewall. Can any of the mods post a download for Zone Alarm 6?

SliverSamuel
I used McAfee for quite some time and used Zone Alarm for the firewall.  Can any of the mods post a download for Zone Alarm 6?

There's a thing called McAfee firewall...

Rudeboy2025
There's a thing called McAfee firewall...

Yes I know that but I prefer Zone Alarm Firewall much better Thank You :P

SliverSamuel

I see, never meant to be sarcastic... :P

Archived