Throttle Bandwidth of Firefox and IE

Marik

i59phv.png

Why would anyone want to throttle the bandwidth of Firefox or Internet Explorer ? That was my first thought when I read about two tiny apps for Firefox and Internet Explorer for the first time at Sizlopedia. I mean, it is normally the other way round. You download some large file or use P2P networks and want to use a browser as well which means that there should be a way to assign a minimum amount of bandwidth for the browser instead of throttling it. Everyone should be capable of not download large files or browsing all those rich entertainment websites if he really needs the bandwidth for something else.

Firefox Throttle and IE Throttle are add-ons for Firefox and Internet Explorer respectively that allow a user to throttle the bandwidth of the browser by selecting maximum values for upload and download. IPs and / or websites can be excluded from this effect which is good if you have a website that you don’t want to throttle. Local Area Network IPs are excluded automatically and some presets are available to choose the bandwidth assigned from.

Lastly it provides stats for uploads and downloads of the session as well as total stats since installing / reseting the add-on. The Internet Explorer version comes without stats.

A better but more complicated way of setting up bandwidth limitations would be to configure it on a broader level, say the router for instance which would have the advantage that the user could select all applications that connect to the Internet instead of just Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Guess some users might find this useful nevertheless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really understand how this works... Could anyone enlighten me? I mean about the 'throttling' part. Aren't you able to browse when you download anymore or what?

• 1 month later...

I have both and they make a pretty good combo

Suppose it may be useful to some people but personally I think it's a bit of a waste of time. If you are loading a large webpage then your torrent client will slow a little till it's loaded then pick the speed back up. That's assuming of course that your torrent is already maxing out your bandwidth which is usually pretty rare unless you are using a private tracker and are connected to a seedserver. More often than not you will have plenty spare bandwidth for browsing while downloading. If the whole point is to finish your download as fast as possible then it might save you a few minutes during heavy web browsing but the time saved would be negligible in my opinion.

Archived