madeinheaven

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

That QOS thing is a myth:

Disabling QoS to Free Up 20% of Bandwidth

This tip made the rounds with people believing that Microsoft always allocates 20% of your bandwidth for Windows Update. According to the instructions, you were supposed to disable QoS in order to free up bandwidth. Unfortunately this tip was not only wrong, but disabling QoS will cause problems with applications that rely on it, like some streaming media or VoIP applications. Rather than taking my word for it, you can read the official Microsoft response: "There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect... One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth."

Source.

Doesn't mean it's not helpful though. Very nice article. :)

I liked that DNS Benchmarking software so much, thank you specially for that, it gave me very useful information. ;)

Domain Name Speed Benchmark

“You can't optimize it until you can measure it”

Now you CAN measure it!

dnsbenchiphone.png

Although GRC's DNS Benchmark is packed with features to satisfy the needs of the most demanding Internet gurus (and this benchmark offers features designed to enable serious DNS performance investigation), the box below demonstrates that it is also extremely easy for casual and first-time users to run:

20111012215827iphone.png

1. Go Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

2.Click Local area connection

20111012220351.png

3.Click properties

20111012220435.png

4.Highlight IPV 4 click properties

20111012220538.png

5.Tick use the following server address aut.

6.Enter DNS Servers from best performance and fastest from DNS benchmark

Note: I tasted my own before and and with speedtaste. it does make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sometimes, maybe once a month or a week, i will make a reset for winsock and tcp/ip interface.... i think that windows 7 default configurations is good enough.. it does not require any additional tweaking ... ;) i have tested many tweaking guide and using traffic shaping software such as cfos... but still i end up with reformatting my computer again and use the default internet settings..

have vista 64

the following i could not find to change.

Turn Off ClearType

Turn Off SmartScreen Filter

Turn Off FlowControl

is there a different name for the ones in vista?

have vista 64

the following i could not find to change.

Turn Off ClearType

Turn Off SmartScreen Filter

Turn Off FlowControl

is there a different name for the ones in vista?

They are IE option.

Archived