Laptop Temps

elohelomg

Recently, I started to work on a gateway nv53 (i know, they're terrible), and i received complaints that they were randomly getting a black screen. I put it under a full load, and looking at speed fan, I got temps as follows

HD: 30 C (normal)

Temp 1: 65C

Temp 2: 57C

Core: 69C

Now, black screen could have meant shutting down, or simply, the screen shut off to save power. But, i was curious, are these temps normal for a laptop?

I've also noticed that while doing something skyping on it, the temp read outs being to rise again.

Temp 1: 55C

Temp 2: 53C

Core: 59C

and when that happens, the fans are mildly spinning, though, you'd think that when it hits 59C, the fans should start to increase the spin.

Was just wondering, are these normal read outs? I've already replaced the fan as well as upgraded the thermal compound.

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I would say it's normal. Generally, laptops are more hotter. My Acer reaches 80C on full load, even with cooling pad.

Cheers ;)

Well, I would say it's normal. Generally, laptops are more hotter. My Acer reaches 80C on full load, even with cooling pad.

Cheers ;)

its a bit more comforting.

There is a program called core temp, which, upon installing will show your tjmax, the temp which is the max your cpu should read, and mine is at 75. under full stress for a while the computer lingers around there. 71-72.

You should take a look in the Event Viewer to see if the graphics driver worked OK. When it recovers from errors (or because of high temps), it usually goes to a black screen like you described. Even if everything is OK, you should probably stress-test the GPU too, maybe it failed during gaming/3D apps or even when watching a HD movie or something.

You should take a look in the Event Viewer to see if the graphics driver worked OK. When it recovers from errors (or because of high temps), it usually goes to a black screen like you described. Even if everything is OK, you should probably stress-test the GPU too, maybe it failed during gaming/3D apps or even when watching a HD movie or something.

Thats the thing. Using AIDA, i stressed everything, and has been going without any issues for 20 mins now

Not sure what kind of GPU the laptop has, but I'm pretty sure AIDA cannot stress it. You need something like Furmark.

Not sure what kind of GPU the laptop has, but I'm pretty sure AIDA cannot stress it. You need something like Furmark.

Hm. Let me give that a shot. Thanks Toyo!

wait, toyo, does your name have anything to do with tires?

Noticed somethign weird. The video card is only getting 8 fps. I dont think thats normal at all, and, during the score check thingie, it only got like 280. very, very odd.

Nothing to do with the tires, but they come in handy, as anyone who would search for "toyo" would be drowned in tire results :P

Your GPU should be something like HD 4200/HD 4570. Take a look in AIDA and see what it says. Then you should compare your scores with other Radeons like yours. Laptop GPUs are considerably underpowered, so don't expect more than very modest marks.

wait, toyo, does your name have anything to do with tires?

LOL :P honestly, I've been wanting to know that too :P

Do my posts look like I'm here to advertise for some corporation? I don't even have (or want) a car, lol.

Maybe I should consider changing my nick.

My name used to be Michelin...

-----

On a serious note: I believe these temperatures are quite normal for a laptop (especially when it is under load). If at maximum load it doesn't reach temperatures of above 75 degrees then you should be fine.

Getting a black screen could either be a driver issue or have to do with the heat in combination with a not perfectly assembled system (every system).

And ma grand daddy's name is B.F. Goodrich...I feel ya! :lol:

Wish it were true...then I'd be rich! :sneaky:

Gateway laptops, as with many others, come with a piece of foil over the thermal paste that prevents efficient heat removal from the cpu. Very hot temps are not uncommon. They are too cheap to give you electrically non-conductive thermal paste so they cover it with a foil to prevent leakage. The CPU heat makes contact with the dry foil then the thermal paste under it then the heatsink, very inefficient. If you want better temps you have to use some arctic cooling mx-2/3/4.

When I say they are too cheap, it's not limited to Gateway, other brands do it too.

Those are pretty normal temperature for a notebook. My notebook GPU once reached 88*C (with cooler) while playing Medal of Honor (2011) with maxed out settings (8x AA) and the average was 82*C and it freaked me out and I disabled my AA and I got the max 78*C and average 75*C. The maximum operational temperatures for mobile GPUs is (for me) about 85*C (max recorded, not average) and average should be about 79*C. If it exceeds more, I tend to lower my graphics settings. But the CPU core temperatures shouldn't exceed more than 60*C, if it exceeds then you should hold your laptop in front of an air conditioner for about 5 to 15 minutes and back down the temperatures to 30 or even 20. Hard drive temperature shouldn't be more than 45*C or 50*C at max.

guess no one tried an HP laptop ever ..!

i regularly see my Core Temp touching 72'C to 85'C

and these are under normal usage ..

no gaming or heavty stuff !! <_< .. . . . . .

ripping or copying easily makes the reader to climb to 90'C .!

you can fry an egg on the palm rest !! <_<

HP = Fail ....

Being that we are talking about temps.. the n thing that bothers me is how to get special characters with input from keyboard.. like the degree sign.. I know a lit of them in HTML but what about BBCode?

Actually..

& # 1 8 6 ; minus the extra spaces.. will get you º
Source: http://www.nouilles.info/keyboard_shortcuts.html

Works from HTML.. NVRMND.. :P

Archived