Disconnecting Printer Issue

RideFarAway

Recently I changed over the domain on all of the computers where I work. When I did this, we moved all of the printers off of the old server onto the new one. The old server has been taken offline and the printers on the old server are no longer accessible. When I changed the domain on all of the computers, I also removed the printers from the old server and installed the printers from the new server. After restarting the computers, the printers from the old server show up once again. It is causing the computers to search for the printers on the network in turn slowing their startup times.

- What would cause them to come back on restart? (they also come back if you restart the print spooler)

- Would they be set using a log-on script? If so how do I disable that log-on script?

- Do I need to remove them from the registry?

Thanks guys!

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are probably still cached somewhere...

Is it a workgroup or domain? With workgroup there is an automatically add printers feature in XP (probably vista too). Why it would continue to appear after it was long gone I have no idea but my guess is it's still related to that feature. To disable it do this on the XP machines:

Open My Computer, click Tool then Folder Option. Click On the View tab. At the top under Files and Folders, uncheck "Automatically search for network folders & Printers"

If it's a domain then maybe its a group policy issue that keeps assigning them printers that aren't even there. Also if its a domain make sure the printer is removed from the Domain Controller. If that printer was shared and "listed in directory" the server may still have it and be assigning the printer to them even though the printer doesn't exist on your machine.

Source: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/21377-network-printer-keeps-reappearing-after-i-delete-it

Archived