How to Install Android on PC or Workstation

madeinheaven

How to Install Android on PC or Workstation

iboUhUHZRZ8Wmb.jpg

1.How to Install Android on PC

In this article, we are going to deal with a tutorial that which guides you How to install Android on PC. Few of you might have already read this tutorial at famous sites like HowToGeek and TechPP, but yea I’ve tried it today and got through it, as I thought sharing this awesome tutorial with our readers might help you to Install Android on PC. Google Launched Android OS for SmartPhones as well as Tablet PCs, and now here we are about to check out the procedure about “How to Install Android on PC”.

In order to Install Android On PC, you need to follow few simple steps. Mobile Phones based on android platform always tend to deserve the best place in market and also its not only fixed to Mobiles, the Android OS is now available for Tablet PCs as well. So, if you are bored with Android OS on your Mobile or Tablet and want to try it on your PC, or notebook, here’s a procedure to experiment that guides you to Install Android on PC.

How to Install Android on PC

iUeeRijt4CXBM.png

• The first step is to download android X86 and copy it on your memory card or flash drive. Scroll down and download it from the firm release section of the website, which gives an ISO file from the site(android X86 - Direct Download).
  • Your memory card or flash drive must have memory more than 256MB, and also make sure that your memory drive is free from virus.
  • You should have a Universal Netboot Installer (UNI)to run android on pc; so, before you move further, download UNI from UNetBootin site, which is compatible with all the leading Operating Systems like Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can download your OS from UNetBootin site. <Download UNetBootin>

irUReC4EgWVpi.jpg

iPixj1cE0emVw.jpg

• Consider the case wherein you’ve downloaded UNI for your windows platform. All you need to do here is just insert drive in order to install android on pc.
  • UNI extracts the ISO file of OS that you downloaded and select the target disk. Now, it’ll start extracting the file from ISO and install in your disk.
  • It’ll not take much time for the flash drive to get installed with Android OS. It’ll ask you to reboot your PC; you can reboot immediately or you can close it, and can run OS whenever you want.
  • The next step is to reboot the system with flash drive to run android OS. You need to change the boot setup as “boot from Removable disk“. By default, the hard drive will be selected to reboot- press F2 to change the boot setup.
  • You can easily change in the Boot menu’s BIOS setup and then press F10 to save your changes. After doing this exit the BIOS setup. Your PC will automatically restart and show the menu in front of you with many options.

ivZiJ5g9eAPKf.png

• You have to select the Live CD – Run Android without installation option. Finally the Android will start booting and you have to wait for a while and give it some-time to get loaded on your PC. The default app will be home screen; you can change the application according to your needs.

ibvF3X3sdjUmEV.png

Thus, the final view of Android will appear and in this procedure you can Install Android On PC by following few simple steps.

Note: If you choose to install it, select a partition to install it to and then format it using the EXT3 format. Choose to install the GRUB boot loader.

After the installation is complete, you can reboot your EEE PC to run the installed Android OS.

The OS is very responsive and works perfectly well, atleast with the EEE PC. Everything just works out of the box – Wi-Fi, Ethernet, Display, Mouse, Keyboard etc.

It can be used as a backup OS or just to show off a bit. It also has a makeshift version of the Android Market with a few apps compatible with the X86 platform.

Youtube Video Tutorial on How to Install Android on PC

How to Use Android OS on PC?

Android gives you access to Wi-Fi, and webcam by default; you can change the app in the menu as per your need. You can always carry flash drive or memory card anywhere, but the installed apps will be erased if you try to put your removable disk into another system.

Thus, this is how you can Install Android on PC and enjoy.

Install Android Apps From Your Computer: Android Market Website Overview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evAiHzNPEgw

2.Google Android running on your Workstation

The escalation of the phone OS wars has generated a new breed of operating systems that has crossed over the boundry from smart phones to netbooks and tablets. Someday these environments are likely to reach the desktop, but you don't have to wait, you can run them virtually on your desktop today!

The response from our ealier post on running Google Chrome OS in VMware Workstation was phenomenal and the number of downloads of the Chrome OS .vmdk from gdgt.com has encouraged us to look for other new operating systems that VMware Workstation users may want to try.

For the past couple of months, we have been keeping our eye on the Android x86 project http://www.androidx86.org/. Finally, I got a chance to download and try the new 1.6 r2 build this weekend. I created a new VM and was up and running within ~20 mins.

ibzajmkxTO64NL.jpg

The tricky part was creating and formatting the disk correctly - the text on the screen of the installer refreshed poorly and ended up with artifacts on the screen which made it a little difficult to understand what needed to be done. After some trial and error, I eventually realized that I needed to create a disk first and then choose to make it bootable. After solving this everything else was simple.

i1f3EKa45xbW4.jpg

In general, Android worked well. I was able to navigate thorough the OS, use the onscreen keyboard, run a search, surf the web and play Lunar Lander. I did manage to install a widget that didn't work on the desktop and that I couldn't remove and I downloaded Solitaire from the App Store which successfully downloaded and indicated that it was "ready to install" but I haven't figured out how to install it. How can I run a true test of computing power without being able to run the most over played computer card game ever???

iPeXnxg4rTBbJ.jpg

Source1: gadgetcage.com

Source2: blogs.vmware

• Replies 7
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Andriod be installed in VM-Ware Workstation?

Tried to install, but I couldn't install it on VM-Ware, but I ran it without installation and it's pretty nice, but it's 1.6 :( Is there any place where I can get the new Andriod?

Can Andriod be installed in VM-Ware Workstation?

Tried to install, but I couldn't install it on VM-Ware, but I ran it without installation and it's pretty nice, but it's 1.6 :( Is there any place where I can get the new Andriod?

You can also try the latest unstable nightly build here:

yebyen's site http://nerdland.info/~yebyen/android-x86/

mariuz's site http://mariuz.android-dev.ro/

moonman's site http://android-x86.moonman.dk/

Running Google Android 2.2 on Your PC with VMware in Less than 5 Minutes

Step 0.

You will need the virtual machine software VMware Player or VMware Workstation. If you don't have either, you can download and install VMware Player for free.

Step 1.

Grab the Android Live ISO, the one to use is the Asus Eee PC version. (I tried the generic version and it wouldn't even boot under VMware.) You can navigate to the latest version here or just use this direct link for the 2.2 version.

Step 2.

Configure the VMware Player or VMware Workstation options for this VM. You want to choose:

• CD/DVD pointed at the ISO file you just downloaded for Android
  • 512 MB memory
  • Any network setting should work (BUT, you will need to follow the instructions in step 3)
  • Sound card should be changed to "SB X-Fi Audio"
  • 2 GB IDE hard disk (optional)

Step 3.

With the VM powered off, modify the .vmx file that VMware created using a text editor. You MUST change the existing line to now read:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vlance"

If you don't make this change you will have no network access in Android!

Step 4.

Power on the Android VM and from the bootloader screen choose the first option and everything should work!

iPnlCqD7Qu3hM.png

Making it Permanent

The above works great for getting a feel for Android, but because this is a "live" version of Android using a ram disk for temporary storage, all your changes will be lost when you shutdown or reboot. To make your environment permanent it's actually very easy:

Reboot the virtual machine (Power > Reset in VMware)

Choose the "Install to hard disk" option from the bootloader

Create a single primary partition in the partition editor, using all available space. Make the partition bootable. Quit the partition editor.

Allow it to install the OS to the selected partition, using ext3.

Allow the installer to use Grub as your boot loader.

Do not attempt to create a virtual SD card (I didn't investigate how this works, so when I tried it it appeared to overwrite the OS I just wrote to disk. So don't do this unless you know what you're doing.)

Choose to Run Android x86 when asked.

And now you've got a permanent Android x86 virtual machine!

Notes

Certain features are not supported by Android x86, primarily those applications which require devices missing from the virtual machine (e.g., the camera). Other applications such as the YouTube application appear to work except that it does not seem to play videos; I suspect this may have to do with specific hardware acceleration missing from the virtualization. Also, see the many debugging and virtualization related options in the app list; you can do things like spoof geolocation. While limited in some respects, this is an excellent tool for testing and debugging your web and mobile apps on Android.

Have fun playing around with it!

Run Android On Your Computer Using VMware Workstation !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCtOB-C-LGk

@ MadeinHeaven: How did you manage to install Andriod 2.2 (for Asus) on VM-Ware? I tried to do the same and while loading it says "Warning: Not an Asus Product" and then it gets stuck on the main screen which shows the speaker icon on the top and lock on the bottom. I don't have a screenshot cause I already deleted it, so I can't. I'm downloading the generic version at the moment, but you've already mentioned that it doesn't work, but I'll try to install it anyhow cause it's almost done now, and should I be able to install, I'll share it on here :)

Thank you for your help and all your awesome topics.

I've tried installing the generic edition and I get the same thing, here's the snapshot:

Note: Added the snapshot.

@ MadeinHeaven: How did you manage to install Andriod 2.2 (for Asus) on VM-Ware? I tried to do the same and while loading it says "Warning: Not an Asus Product" and then it gets stuck on the main screen which shows the speaker icon on the top and lock on the bottom. I don't have a screenshot cause I already deleted it, so I can't. I'm downloading the generic version at the moment, but you've already mentioned that it doesn't work, but I'll try to install it anyhow cause it's almost done now, and should I be able to install, I'll share it on here :)

Thank you for your help and all your awesome topics.

Ignore that warning. Watch the video please.

You can try out Google's Android OS on your computer using Windows Virtual PC.

Windows 7 users can download 'Windows Virtual PC' from the official website of Microsoft :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

The official direct download links are available here:

http://www.iniyant.com/how-to-download-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc...

You can download the latest Android (ISO) from here:

http://www.android-x86.org/download

Direct download link of Android 2.2 Froyo (used in this tutorial) :

http://android-x86.googlecode.com/files/froyo-eeepc-20110101.iso

Note that some Android applications may not work properly (like camera) because you are going to use it on your PC (not in mobile phone).

But finally, it was a great experience to use Android on PC with the help of 'Windows Virtual PC'

If you don't have 'Windows Virtual PC', here is other options for you:

Option 2: Run Android On Your Computer Using VMware Workstation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCtOB-C-LGk

Option 3: Run Android On Your Computer From Flash Drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvMWP9uySU

Option 4: Run Android On Your Computer Using Bootable CD/DVD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49DXAKK8KSg

Archived