Can HTML 5 Replace Adobe Flash Plug-In?

Tweety.Abd

65 members have voted

1. 1. Can HTML 5 Replace Adobe Flash Plug-In?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Is Microsoft Doing A Good Thing By Abandoning Flash in IE10?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I personally think that it is a wise move by going plug-in free, or at least free from flash. What do you think?

• Replies 17
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Can HTML5 replace Flash?

Yes. But in far future. Not so soon.

Is Microsoft Doing A Good Thing By Abandoning Flash in IE10?

Well they are trying to make a plugin free IE so that's understandable. But if they are literally trying to stop flash than I don't see the difference between them and crapple. Again, if that's the case, my answer is no.

Can HTML5 replace Flash?

Well they are trying to make a plugin free IE so that's understandable. But if they are literally trying to stop flash than I don't see the difference between them and crapple. Again, if that's the case, my answer is no.

You could've voted lol :P but thank you for your view on the matter :)

Yeah, i can't wait to be rid of flash! Sick of it telling me to update all the time, and sick of it putting its crappy update checker back in the 'run' folder of my registry after i delete it, and sick of hearing my cpu fans when i watch a video grrr

• Administrator

You could've voted lol :P

I did it before posting. :)

In my opinion, Yes, HTML5 can replace Flash but the thing is that Microsoft is going too fast, IE 10 is not a good time for abandoning Flash, I agree with DKT, in far future this will happen but not so soon like in Windows 8 & IE10. ;)

So, it is better for Microsoft's situation to support Flash at least in IE10. ^_^

Nice topic though, thank you. ;)

As a (former) designer with some Flash Pro experience, I strongly think Flash will still play an essential role for many years to come. The platform is just too powerful and continually evolving, not to mention having Adobe behind it. Some functionality might be replaced with emerging technologies like HTML5 over time, but Adobe will not leave Flash to die without putting a serious fight, and they already try their best to make it a better platform for anybody and reduce the hate that this product is getting. So, I'm optimistic about its future :)

You could've voted lol :P

I did it before posting. :)

Okay, it was my bad, it didn't show the poll results and I thought you didn't vote until I saw the 'show results' button. I'm sorry for what I said.

And thank you all for your valuable opinions about the topic. I've been reading a lot about it and I just thought I might want to ask you guys what you all think. Thank you :)

Well, The New Features from HTML 4.01 to 5 is pretty impressive, I like it very much personally. with new features such as WebGL, Rendering for browser will be much easier than flash.

But About How MS is Interested in going for HTML5, I'm unsure. If Plugin-Free IE10 be Arrived, Users and Developers will pay more attention to HTML5 , and Also, IE Users will get rid of flash ads forever :P but , the websites that use highly flash, will be useless , So users try to find a brand new browser such as Firefox and Opera.

HTML5 will not replace flash for years... and even then, it is unlikely because there are literally tens of thousands of flash games that will never have html5 compatibility. Additionally as long as IE10 has the option the download flash it is fine. If they are preventing flash entirely, then its a horrible idea, especially considering how IE is losing ground already.

• Administrator

Just noting it. The metro based IE, which is aimed as table users (like the "metro" start screen), will be plugin-free. The normal IE which is what normal desktops will be able to use properly, will have options to all the plugins etc. Don't forget, there's going to be just 1 Windows 8 version for both Desktops and Tablets (AFAIK) so they need to have the interface for both.

Personally I feel this is M$'s first step to discard Flash.

@Nima: One of the reason W3C (the people that maintain WWW, etc.) have given a long time before HTML5 specification is written, so that HTML5 can be evolved in the meantime. There are many things HTML5 can do right now that it couldn't do when it was new. Expect it to improve further.

Just think, no need for any plugin to run videos, just some codes in html. It's a great thing. But it will take a loooong time before it can replace Flash.

Yeah, i can't wait to be rid of flash! Sick of it telling me to update all the time, and sick of it putting its crappy update checker back in the 'run' folder of my registry after i delete it, and sick of hearing my cpu fans when i watch a video grrr

D= u hear your CPU fan, when watching videos ? wtf

Can HTML5 replace Flash?

I agree with DKT and I voted "yes" for 1 and "no" for an other. Sure it can be replaced eventually and might be a good idea. But on other thing it, when an exploit is found and used in HTML5, how long would it take to fix that hole? Maybe Flash is better and easier at that? (But that's a little off-topic already...)

of course it can be replaced ...

how i wish if i could, i would right away shun it off ...!

tired of seeing the plugin container in FF eating away all the CPU and all its crashes and loud humming of the laptop when ever watching any video streaming .

MS i think is doing a good step letting the flash go ,

what so ever it is , IE is still the most widely used browser ,

and backing off from Flash would sure send a strong message ...

the video and the multimedia content of the internet as it stands as of now , for sure needs a big overhaul ,

and HTML 5 is the right candidate for the job

start with it and develop it ....

...But on other thing it, when an exploit is found and used in HTML5, how long would it take to fix that hole?

Well this is the thing in HTML5.. from what I have seen of it.. it is ( to dumb it WAAAAY down ) for the most part is like posting an image.. Some script could be used.. some HTML5 would be used.. BUT embedding Flash itself, or Silverlight.. is not... If you write any of the code incorrectly or there is an exploit .. You must change the code on the page.. OR alter the browser engine and how it processes it and so forth... I mean improvement over time to the versions and types should say something as well though.. HTML, XHTML all of it has went through several changes.. and there are parts to and methods of which have become deprecated over time..

I like the idea of something being as clean as writing HTML only pages now.. You can't hack something that has no exploitation.. You can Phish and Pharm or poison DNS entry or registry.. and redirect possibly.. and use more code to do so.. BUT your not going to take control over someone's system with it.. and more than likely not even the server.. Your not going to have information disclosure ( providing the server has been configured correctly..) and/or denies those requests..

One thing that gets me.. I have a very low end system.. and I always thought Flash would not consume so much system resources when in use.. but to hear people talk about it it seems to be the same on more powerful computers as well..

EDIT: All that being said, I think that Flash, Silverlight.. and Script are going to be around for a long long time.. before anybody goes away.. IE10 method of use is more than likely s a protection to the user. Much like turning off all plugins when using Vidalia.

• 3 weeks later...

Well .. my Vote is for no flash.

It appears to me that all the browser crashes I've experienced for the last 6 months or so, weather I use Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer have been caused by Flash. There engine seems to bleed over to other tabs. If they find away of locking the resource down to a single instant then flash seems to work without a problem! It;s doesn't handle "multi-instant" tabs very well in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

not yet. maybe in the future since there are still a lot of specifications to implement. nut it would be nice if all browsers implement the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it will be replaced in the future, But currently there are too many things that depends on Adobe Flash and HTML 5 isn't the best for old computers..

My 3 year old laptop can't handle YouTube in 480p + and sometimes 360p when trying HTML 5. I believe this may be because this laptop is running on Intel Graphics and is just simply SLOW, But i believe these two types should co-exist and flash shouldn't die as they both have their purposes :)

Archived