ESet 5 vs nine competitors Performance Benchmarks

anuraag

• Replies 24
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Dunno why the report seems very similar to AV Comparatives.

As much as I feel fast using ESET 5, I don't really trust these reports, but I do agree with some things mentioned.

Just remember to read the disclosure. :P These tests are done and paid for by certain companies. They then have the right to release, or keep hidden anything they want.

That's how each company posts results like this, which show them as the best in test. Guess who paid for this one? :D As far as im concerned these tests mean nothing.

Just check the disclaimer :lol:

im jsut amaze they actually tested software that was of the same time period for once.

though i do wish they would also compare the older version final version too to see if the new software actually better

Interesting read. Nsane is still ESET crazy I see. I no longer use a live AV (haven't for a long while now) so these tests really don't mean much to me though...

Interesting read. Nsane is still ESET crazy I see. I no longer use a live AV (haven't for a long while now) so these tests really don't mean much to me though...

That is a big security risk, everyone should use a real time protection.

Sorry, no offense , but I do not quite understand this attitude -> look I'm smart , I do not use antivirus . :uhuh:

I believe Gabben is right .

is there truly a better AV? i think not. of all the top 5 AV's i don't believe you can go wrong. to most/all new computers (last 2/3 years) AV's barely use any resources at all in comparison with what these computers have in terms of hardware and people with computers for gaming/design related work, everything non essential gets turned off for better performance anyway. what of other quality products out there that don't get mentioned hardly ever that are also good products? F-secure, panda anti-virus (and others) anyone?

if you think eset is 100% the best why? I know eset is incredibly light on resources so people with older computers will like it and i see the appeal there, but that is just one reason. I like eset too, but i also like and use other AV's to try something different. I want to hear intelligent answers other than "i read this here" or "look at this test" because if you don't truly know why you pray to the eset gods maybe try others for more than a couple hours and you just might be surprised.

P.S. not trying to be insulting to anyone, just that many of these topics get created and they are all the same shit but different pile. I want to hear something different and more intelligent.

P.P.S i do realize that we are making fun of these supposed "tests" that are out there. this just reminds me of the many, many, many, many many many... of the AV topics that are out there on this forum and others that deal with security.

Well if you want something funny to look at .. point your search engine to ' top antivirus of 2011 ' ... see some trash? LOL...Next add any AV name.. :P That's called paid advertising people... a thousand places I have posted on the thing that make me choose ESS over others.. BUT usually I only post something about it being in the top 5%.. overall..

Really it has been my experience with it since version 2 coupled with the BlackICE IBM Branded Firewall... My systems have been average at best and slipping all the way.. to say the least.. BUT.. usage of system resources and still able to hit the mark is important... I have tried other programs in the past that were supposed to have good performance .. but either it is a memory leak or other problematic activity.. for example.. when using Advance Heuristics in some.. My system will work.. pause.. work.. pause.. its like being on a ship... and depending on which one it may do this for a number of activities.. and all the while use little to no memory consumption.. but need a terrible amount of cpu or was just extremely slow at processing the action.. while using nothing.. yet still slowed down the system.. crispness is gone in various areas.. including how they jack in to system components.. like Explorer and the Context Menu.. various system objects I believe.. that are monitored as well.. Try to couple this with other forms of security or listen to an MP3 and/or video an you may even have problems there.. unless your using a dual core machine with 4 GB of ram.. all of this varies.. SO with ESS I turn on the bells and whistles and due its ability to allowed detailed configurations... I can cover the bases.. use advanced protection in all areas ( in this type of product )... and we have smooooov.. usage.. :P It tells me when I have an application in my computer that may alter something.. not just scare me to death.. and give me false positive.. or act like a speed freak on overkill mode and clean.. OOOPS system files.... did you catch that?.. :lmao: and a number of other files I may keep or have purposefully went and gotten for my usage... BUT if I wanted it too I could..

So essentially it is good at what it is designed to do.. AND it can also be user friendly.. as well as very professional for the end user and/or company to work with... It doesn't promise free and slap ads in your face.. or hold your system hostage...

I have used a few others out there and some actually include more features.. and come as a more rounded product.. but they miss many areas.. important and foremost.. Like building a formula one car and designing a motor but forgetting to engineer the engine in a way that it most efficient in achieving it's job.. ( essentially killing the equation ) .. This example is not to say that they will not keep your system safe.. but it is to say that all around and from long term usage and analyzation of the product it seems to be a better choice.. I stay with the product because even when they hit hiccups or strange issues..They are sure to work them out.. not simply allow them to exist for years of versions.. I have faith in them to do so.. plus I would have to redo settings and may not even have the ability to configure my protection how I want it or need it .. and this will vary from system to system and environment.. Something a company should not overlook.. I am comfortable with it.. It has what I need.. AVIRA for example who has been right there with ESET for quite some time.. does not.. even with advanced versions of the product... The last Norton I ran did not either and I felt like someone had me by the BA!!5... Coranti... way too many engines... BKAV not quite ready for full time cloud protection, PREVX.. really are you kidding me.. GDATA.. you need a monster to run it... I think.. unless it was just bad code.. and what is up with not writing your own engine? AVG.. :lmao: .. but new versions may tell a different story.. false positives and you don't even know it.... Avast.. ?? There was something with this one.. but I can't remember .. it didn't take me long though..

Main thing years ago was that I installed.. it worked well.. and caught things that were not before.. I was able to successfully clean my system without booting issues... I was well informed of what was going in and out.. has kept me protected successfully for a number of years... I still use Hitman Pro as a secondary and I use other programs as well..False positives and such as well as information disclosure and uploading of file to servers?.. really gets me sometimes... I am not close minded to installing or using another protection... but it will have to be something that does it better or has a feature that would be great to consolidate into a protection suite.. that takes major processing now.. that can be done better with it.. and use nothing more of my resources that it does now..

It should run free and open on my system.. Like my system does without any of them.. :huh: NOT need a dual-core processor and 3 GB of RAM or a tricked-out board...to say.. ' I am fast too.. '

I remember BlackICE, I used to use it back in the day as well. It was hands down the best firewall of its time. :)

69-stang: best AV is relative to the user, whichever one works best for you. I can give you my answer but it may not apply to everyone else. For years I have been using whichever AV slows down my system the least, I make my choice primarily based on product speed, detection rates are ranked second in my mind.

Even the new and improved Avast noticeably increases boot time and slows system performance because they include 100 useless donkey shit modules/plugins and now it comes with auto sandbox and web rep, more useless donkey shit to slow down your system. The worst part is that even if you disable those options whenever you upgrade Avast it does not respect your previous options and goes ahead and installs everything which is very inconvenient for me as I don't care to waste time to uninstall old prior to upgrading. I've had it with them.

Norton is fast but it keeps crying like a little baby and annoying me because I choose to turn off the useless email checking options. All of a sudden my system is catastrophically unsafe because I don't want to enable the email scanner. It's useless because every self respecting mail provider has a server class AV installed so there is no need for me to have one on my system. So even though Norton offers various settings, they don't really want you to change anything else they will annoy you to death. I rank Norton the same as Avast when it comes to being a pile of shit.

Avira is the only fast and light AV that is worth using and it's detection rate is very good as well. I had no problems with them until they started dumbing down their settings and there was no way to disable scanning of archives, maybe that has since been changed but I have not tried them recently to know.

ESET was the best of all for me because it performs very fast out of the box but the number of useful advanced settings is just amazing. I am able to configure ESET to work even faster than its default options. The best part of all is that they are the only AV provider that had the common sense to include a feature to import/export all the settings via xml file. You have no idea how much time that single feature has saved me over the years. I have many computers and rebuild new ones ever so often, and all I have to do is install ESET then import my settings file and smile when everything works as fast as can be.

My only problem is that every major version upgrade seems more bloated but they do manage to maintain consistently fast performance despite the addition of new features. For instance I could care less about this new hips feature in eset v5 because in reality it is just going to ask you what to do and an inexperienced user will click yes to allow a virus to destroy him anyway. HIPS is a useless novelty idea to make noobs happy, it provides nothing. The real idea is behavioural monitoring which is like a smart autonomous edition of hips that could actually do something. ESET already has good behavioural analysis. Trust me, HIPS will never find any real threat that isn't detected by the protection modules of the AV itself. It's just there to waste your time as a human being by making click useless things that do nothing to improve your life.

So that's my answer, and while everyone may not agree with me, these are my reasons for ranking eset as my best AV.

That is a big security risk, everyone should use a real time protection.

I have to disagree with this, even though I always use an av. Lots of people get on fine without one, just read Wilders forum to see that.

Make an image every day or so for safety. Use sandboxie,shadow defender, geswall or whatever you like. Run scans manually to check for viruses (not real time). UAC and all that jazz. There's lots of alternatives now days to using an av. The most critical imo is to have full backups of your system and you cannot get into trouble that a restore can't fix.

AVs should become obsolete in the future, at least ones with signatures, because they can't keep up with the new threats. I think more will be going virtual, sandbox route. Press a button and your back to a clean state again.

Hmmm seems like one big love-in for Eset round these parts,well as much as it's rated it's the only AV that I've used over the years that's actually allowed a nasty to get it's hooks into my system which caused Nod to basically go on a constant reboot as it couldn't remove what it had allowed to install,i could accept this happening once but the same thing happened twice to me so i personally steer clear of all things Eset.

So Avast slows to system and boot down does it,i could understand if you'd said kaspersky slows the system down but from my own experience Avast has no noticeable slowdown on boot up/down or responsiveness on my system as opposed to kaspersky which slows it noticeably.

It's all about what works best for you imho. :D

Hmmm seems like one big love-in for Eset round these parts,well as much as it's rated it's the only AV that I've used over the years that's actually allowed a nasty to get it's hooks into my system which caused Nod to basically go on a constant reboot as it couldn't remove what it had allowed to install,i could accept this happening once but the same thing happened twice to me so i personally steer clear of all things Eset.

So do you remember what it was . or how it happened?

+1 to both of you. this is exactly what i was saying, more of "this" needs to happen when talking about security software, or any topic really with intelligent conversation that any user can follow.

Now for myself. i used ESET back in the day and it was my favorite as well. I own a mac now and haven't used an av in some time so I've been out of touch on the topic lately. now i know what the new eset is all about without actually using it, perfect for someone who is deciding what av to use.

is there truly a better AV? i think not. of all the top 5 AV's i don't believe you can go wrong. to most/all new computers (last 2/3 years) AV's barely use any resources at all in comparison with what these computers have in terms of hardware and people with computers for gaming/design related work, everything non essential gets turned off for better performance anyway. what of other quality products out there that don't get mentioned hardly ever that are also good products? F-secure, panda anti-virus (and others) anyone?

if you think eset is 100% the best why? I know eset is incredibly light on resources so people with older computers will like it and i see the appeal there, but that is just one reason. I like eset too, but i also like and use other AV's to try something different.

I do not know how you choose your antivirus - at least I choose depending on how is going to be used the comp., available resources and the computer user.

I like to test different solutions . For ex. in my computers I use different sollutions :

- desktop : KIS2012 (here I tested F-Secure.AV.2011+ComodoFirewall , AV.nod32.4.2.71+OutpostFirewallPro -> returned to KIS2011 and then upgraded to KIS2012)

- desktop : NAV2011+PrivateFirewall (I did not upgrade to 2012 vers. because that one does not let you decide what do in case of malware found)

- laptop : AV_nod32_5.0.93+PrivateFirewall (here I tried NAV2012+OnlineArmor -> didn`t like NAV and I am tired of the multitude of warnings from the OnlineArmorFirewall, also did try BitDefender IS 2012 - too much bugs and too many automatic actions , sometimes deleted files without quarantine)

I confess I didn't read *all* the above posts completely - but I have read over the years that *none* of the AV tests are truly independent. They can be rigged so easy to favor one AV over the other - that they are becoming like the sport betting touts. Pay a few dollars, or place a few ads, and you'll shoot up to the top of the list and be placed anywhere you want.

Let's face it...all AV's can never be 100% anything. It all boils down to the operator of the computer having common sense. But I do agree, I feel safer having an AV running...and the sandboxing, no matter which program you use, are a hassle...especially saving favorites/ bookmarks. I know, you have no problem if you have a second partition as most on here do, it still can be a hassle. One example - in testing a program, one cannot sandbox a program, and test it, if that program needs a re-boot. And unless your browsing through Astalavista links to crack sites, your sandbox would not be needed 99.9% of the time. So, IMO, a good AV is necessary in these days and times - things have changed drastically in the last 10 to 12 years.

Now for a newbie or a spouse who knows squat about a computer and the dangers...best have the rig as tight as it can be set up.

Just my opinion of course...but this line of thinking has been hashed around on the security sites so much it gets to now be a bore.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

This test looks pretty bias towards ESET...

The truth is....even tho i really like Nod.....the real AV testers don't give it a great score.

I have to disagree with this, even though I always use an av. Lots of people get on fine without one, just read Wilders forum to see that.

Make an image every day or so for safety. Use sandboxie,shadow defender, geswall or whatever you like. Run scans manually to check for viruses (not real time). UAC and all that jazz. There's lots of alternatives now days to using an av. The most critical imo is to have full backups of your system and you cannot get into trouble that a restore can't fix.

AVs should become obsolete in the future, at least ones with signatures, because they can't keep up with the new threats. I think more will be going virtual, sandbox route. Press a button and your back to a clean state again.

+1...+1 :lol:

+1...+1 :lol:

I think you'll find an AV that works(any of the top 5) alot easier to deal with than a suite of free apps that do half the job only half of the time, besides to guard against sophisticated hack attacks you need a paid firewall or an IS setup all the time !

I think you'll find an AV that works(any of the top 5) alot easier to deal with than a suite of free apps that do half the job only half of the time, besides to guard against sophisticated hack attacks you need a paid firewall or an IS setup all the time !

Agreed, my lappy has KAV 2012 & Windows Firewall (but enhanced with Windows Firewall Control; thanks to PurpleBeanZ). :P

Even with the above, i would also go into virtual mode (with Acronis - Try & Decide) to try out new softwares or to some unsafe sites.

Archived