Intel mobile processor i3 Vs i5

-CRySis-

what are the other differences between the two apart from L3 cache which is 3Mb for i5-2000 series (notebook) and also the same for i3-2000 series (notebook)..

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only really difference that matters is that the i3 is Dual Core vs i5 which is quad core. Both are still 64 bit supported! More cores means more processing power Dual is 2 cores Quad is 4 cores!

Not for sandy bridge, both i3 and i5 are dual cores, the difference is mild, the i5 comes with Turbo Boost. That's the only difference, not really worth paying extra for. This is for mobile editions, desktop editions the i5 may come with 4 cores as x-sobe-x mentioned.

Thanks bro but I wanna know about the laptop ones, cuz i3 and i5 are both duel cores for laptops, so which one should I buy =(

Not for sandy bridge, both i3 and i5 are dual cores, the difference is mild, the i5 comes with Turbo Boost. That's the only difference, not really worth paying extra for. This is for mobile editions, desktop editions the i5 may come with 4 cores as x-sobe-x mentioned.

Yes i3 got no advanced encryption standard & turbo boost but is it still the best one to buy?

You probably missed it but I already gave my suggestion above, it's not worth paying the extra money for the i5 mobile cpu.

You are asking about the new AES-NI instruction set? I don't know of any commonly used apps that rely heavily on AES-NI instruction set. It's a relatively new instruction set and most of the AES encryption used is for wireless connections, the wireless hardware handles it. Right now I'd say that's more of a novelty instruction set because it's cool to have it but it will probably never get used.

Personally I'd stick with the i3 on the notebook but I don't know your financial standing. How much extra is it for the i5?

I have i7 2600K 4.6 GHz and it's AWESOME! :w00t:

monsterw.png

I sugest you buy i7 2600K. I payed about 350€

I7 2600K is amazing , but he wants a mobile processor comparison.

Go with the I5 , the performance gain is bigger than expected.

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on what you use it for and the price difference.

if you just do general stuff like web browsing and office stuff the difference between i3 and i5 is negligible. If you need a lot of raw power like video encoding or 3D gaming then maybe you should consider a desktop for best price vs performance.

If the difference between i3 and i5 is less than $50 then it is no brainer, go with the i5. if the difference is $100 or more then it is really your call. If you are not pushing the limits of the CPU and you have an SSD then the difference is really not that big of a deal.

You totally mistaken..i5 is 4 core without hyperthreading...i7 add HT. Both i5 and i7 have turbo...no turbo or HT for dual core i3. And yes....it's crazy not to go for the i5 with a close price. ;)

Here's a local shop listing...

http://www.newegg.co...=Sandy%20Bridge

Here's the full chart on this page:

http://www.geforce3d...intel/page2.php

You totally mistaken..i5 is 4 core without hyperthreading...i7 add HT. Both i5 and i7 have turbo...no turbo or HT for dual core i3. And yes....it's crazy not to go for the i5 with a close price. ;)

Here's a local shop listing...

http://www.newegg.co...=Sandy%20Bridge

Here's the full chart on this page:

http://www.geforce3d...intel/page2.php

You said I am mistaken but you paste information only to confirm exactly what I said. This means you didn't read or understand my post at all, your full chart only contains desktop processors, the mobile ones are different. Please note that the author of this topic was asking about notebook processors and not desktop, my information is correct. You may want to go look for a chart for the mobile sandy bridge i5 to confirm. ;)

my bad...didn't catch the 'mobile' part. Thought you were saying that desktop i5s were dual core...I need to pay attention eh? lmao

It worked out for the best, since you pointed that out I renamed the topic to more accurately reflect what the topic author asked about. Hopefully that will avoid future confusion. :)

Archived