With CPU spikes every second.

Doesn't matter to me though. Have got a fast CPU. :wub:

• Replies 66
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, so had a look at eset website:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2475

If your system startup scan is taking an unusually long time to complete, you may have conflicting programs set to run at start up. We recommend configuring your startup scan to activate when the CPU is idle.

Maybe my o'cing programs are interfering... :frusty:

dk +others, u guys have anything weird and wonderful running at startup?

Hmmm perhaps something too do with HIPS?

Do I have to leave it in learning mode? What are you guys using?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=307667

Porbably see if I can fix it in a day or two, otherwise i'll rollback and wait for better relese.

edit...

Aight, learning mode for HIPS seems to be the answer, cpu usage spike for about 30 seconds during startup, but its back to eset 4.2 after that.

Also ran pre-release updates..

edit 2

SPOKE TO SOON. Another reboot later, again the eset service was going bonkers on startup scan...

anyone using eset 5, could you please advise me how many items are scanned in your initial startup scan?

I had this same problem wherein NOD32 constantly went insane on CPU graph for apparently no reason, the only file it seemed to scan(shown under stats page) over & over was some Perfect Disk(version 12) sys file when optiwrite was turned ON, the ESS service wasn't hogging 100% of processor cycles but every second or two it spiked out of control, probably due to PDagent/PDengine running in the background, but something that didn't happen at the beginning when I installed ESET 5 nor was it the case with any other AV(tried AVAST/AVG) so had to uninstall it afterwards !

It`s hard to understand why `ekern.exe` is going up to 100% . I have also in my laptop PerfectDisk12 (OptiWrite -> on) and nod32 5.0.93 and I don`t have that problem . So , only thing I can think is that maybe you didn`t clean your comp. before install nod32 v.5 . Do you have another security program installed that could enter in conflict with nod32 ?

I had Avast 6 before but uninstalled it with TU 5.10.1 & anything remaining with its awsclear utility though I installed PD 12 alongside Avast but the AV didn't give me any problems then nor with AVG later on(after uninstalling NOD32 with TU then using ESET utility to clear any traces left) btw I had prerelease updates enabled for ESET 5 which "may" have been responsible for those CPU spikes !

anyone using eset 5, could you please advise me how many items are scanned in your initial startup scan?

I currently do not have ESET 5 ( waiting for BE ) BUT... have you checked on the items listed in your scheduler? and could you list them here? I have minimized mine down to two items...

Log Maintenance... and Hourly update... it depends on how you have things configured... The two for dial-up and update on startup I believe where the two big ones in 4.. For me IMO the startup scan is sort of redundant anyway because I check it and all entries whenever I install something... Even if it hasn't taken effect yet... it will still show up.. in my programs anyway...( that I use to check it with ) As well as services.. I men if you don't know what's in there I am willing to bet you have a newer system and don't worry about the load to your system.. AND if you think about it.. anything that would have occurred would set off UAC and/or ESET anyway.. This may be a concerned between OSes and differences but its already covered for the most part and I would know or be able to tell if something of this kind was taking place... AND it would be in the logs and show detection.. if it was found because the EKERN service runs always on boot.. and the only thing is the GUI- notifications..

It is okay for people who do not know.. but unnecessary.. other settings however do relate to it however... But launching ESET.. and having it perform or attempt to perform several simultaneous tasks seemed a little ignorant.. and tasks not relative to the system configuration as well..

I currently do not have ESET 5 ( waiting for BE ) BUT... have you checked on the items listed in your scheduler? and could you list them here? I have minimized mine down to two items...

It is okay for people who do not know.. but unnecessary.. other settings however do relate to it however... But launching ESET.. and having it perform or attempt to perform several simultaneous tasks seemed a little ignorant.. and tasks not relative to the system configuration as well..

I currently have all 6 (!) Items checked, including scan at startup and scan at user logon. I do have a newer computer (i5), but I never had to mess around with startup scan on eset 4

>5000 (!!!!) items are scanned at startup, and sometimes it keeps re-scanning the same items (as far as I could tell) e.g. the appdata folder for OPERA

Anyone used App Remover to uninstall Eset? Never tried it personally but maybe it does a thorough job? <_< http://appremover.com/

I think that you would better use RevoUninstaller -> reboot -> Safe Mode -> ESET Uninstaller -> clean manually if there are still remnants (search in hidden files in `Users` and registry entries related ESET ) . B)

I have seen a lot of ESET users posting in different threads about various problems . It`s interesting that all of them that have activated `pre-lease updates` were complaining about strange behavior of nod32 , major part were about `ekern.exe` reaching 100% CPU . Don`t you think there is a reason why ESET didn`t activated that by default ?

You can see here that CPU and RAM usage are at low level , even at full scan ...

I currently have all 6 (!) Items checked, including scan at startup and scan at user logon. I do have a newer computer (i5), but I never had to mess around with startup scan on eset 4

>5000 (!!!!) items are scanned at startup, and sometimes it keeps re-scanning the same items (as far as I could tell) e.g. the appdata folder for OPERA

Try optimizing the scheduler and excluding some of those areas... You will probably be okay with certain areas excluded.. I have always been able to do so with Firefox.. never been infected.. but it is up to you.. There are areas recommended to be excluded by AV scanning by Microsoft as well.. should be easy to find by searching.. All going to be what your comfortable.. and how you have it configured.. especially if you have Web Access Protection on and working for these programs.. it too will still protect the program you exclude..

It should help some.. where did you find that it scans 5000 + items on startup? That is quite a bit and to do it twice is a little redundant too..

I have seen a lot of ESET users posting in different threads about various problems . It`s interesting that all of them that have activated `pre-lease updates` were complaining about strange behavior of nod32 , major part were about `ekern.exe` reaching 100% CPU . Don`t you think there is a reason why ESET didn`t activated that by default ?

You can see here that CPU and RAM usage are at low level , even at full scan ...

I was having the problem w/out prerelease updates, thought running it might solve the issue... :P

if you're not having any problems, could you please tell me (on startup) how many items eset scans? I'm trying to figure out if its my PC or a glitch with eset itself, as I never had a problem like with with either RC, 4 or 4.2

I was having the problem w/out prerelease updates, thought running it might solve the issue... :P

if you're not having any problems, could you please tell me (on startup) how many items eset scans? I'm trying to figure out if its my PC or a glitch with eset itself, as I never had a problem like with with either RC, 4 or 4.2

Here is a screenshot at 2min. after reboot :

iFB0o.jpg

Right... here are some of my screens, and btw my cpu is i5 (1st gen) ~2.5 ghz so its decent...

But:

DURING THE STARTUP SCAN:

S5aWZ.jpg

AFTER ABOUT 5 MINUTES:

retni.jpg

Cpu seems to slow down after scanning 2632 items (exactly), system is fine after that

DURING A FULL SYSTEM SCAN:

8RNRY.jpg

I don't get it how come the cpu usage is SOOO high during the startup scan, but not high at all during the full system scan?

This would come from how you configure the module itself and in what area... Threat Sense Parameters... The scan are configured separately as well... If you have the system scanning everything it is accessing at the same time it is scanning files which are n startup you have overlapped your security.. One of the reasons people would look into their settings and make sure of this.. it is like having two or three version installed and running at the same time..or the same effect you get when you have several AV's installed in the same machine..

You logs and methods for can be a big deal too..

I would think about the type of use you have on your system.. main points of access.. Other people, drives.. sites.. servers? so on.. and configure these modules to properly cover those areas and operate one at a time..

A good example is turning on Web Access Protection.. having Advanced Heuristics and the whole nine turned on.. Then having those files actively scanned on your system..They have already been torn apart.. once.. why the second time again? so you exclude the folder and keep active file monitoring for file already there.. UAC helps protect access to these files as well and you will get notification when something is altered if file security is correct.. true of the registry and any other areas which have Administrator Only access.. so access or patching of these files usually will not occur unless something has come into your system.. That is picked up.. and starts accessing something which will be caught by one module or another..

Comb through..take your time.. get a feel for it... see what you have going on.. start at the top BTW and go down one thing at a time.. but think about the way you use your computer.. and your direct concerns..instead of just turning it all on..

This would come from how you configure the module itself and in what area... Threat Sense Parameters... The scan are configured separately as well... If you have the system scanning everything it is accessing at the same time it is scanning files which are n startup you have overlapped your security.. One of the reasons people would look into their settings and make sure of this.. it is like having two or three version installed and running at the same time..or the same effect you get when you have several AV's installed in the same machine..

You logs and methods for can be a big deal too..

I would think about the type of use you have on your system.. main points of access.. Other people, drives.. sites.. servers? so on.. and configure these modules to properly cover those areas and operate one at a time..

A good example is turning on Web Access Protection.. having Advanced Heuristics and the whole nine turned on.. Then having those files actively scanned on your system..They have already been torn apart.. once.. why the second time again? so you exclude the folder and keep active file monitoring for file already there.. UAC helps protect access to these files as well and you will get notification when something is altered if file security is correct.. true of the registry and any other areas which have Administrator Only access.. so access or patching of these files usually will not occur unless something has come into your system.. That is picked up.. and starts accessing something which will be caught by one module or another..

Comb through..take your time.. get a feel for it... see what you have going on.. start at the top BTW and go down one thing at a time.. but think about the way you use your computer.. and your direct concerns..instead of just turning it all on..

Thanks mate, I really appreciate the time taken to reply. Have taken your advice - Am going through, altering settings, but for whatever weird reason, the cpu usage reaches a much higher % compared to the full scan even after altering many of the settings of a start up scan.

I only assume its a glitch, just can't understand why cpu usage would be different in the two scan methods.

Works perfect for me.....however i have cleaning turned off.

I just need to know if i have any real viruses...and stop my PC from downloading any crap i don't explicitly trust.

If i do get a nasty virus....which i haven't in years because of good internet practices.....

I can easily install Spybot and/or MalwareBytes without uninstalling ESET for the actual removal......and if that doesn't get rid of it....it's time for a reinstall of the OS.....and if that doesn't do it....it's time to flash the BIOS.....and if that doesn't do it.....then i set my PC on fire and dance around.

• 4 months later...

With version 5.0.95 ESET finaly solved the problem I described in the first lines of this post - now , again , nod32 is doing it`s job as it should , with the default settings ! (so there is not needed anymore to set it `Strict Cleaning`)

Archived