Why Symantec?

morteza

Why Symantec is a leader in security solutions?Why it is a greatest security company in the world and why Kaspersky and ESET can not a greatest security in the world?In your opinion, backup and support of Symantec employee because this or any things else?I think Kaspersky engine and its program is very well but very hard to say that is light or its support is very week.I remember Kaspersky blacklisted 1000 license of its users wrongly in middle east and don't say excuse me or don't replace licenses or ESET is light but very hard to say that is good in every section like web guard and html risks & firewall ... maybe must we say if we want to create a safe space in our work in the internet and every IT sections we must use a security software with good rating in every section with good support plus a brilliant brain for analyze of things that are happening around us.Maybe Symantec is a leader because its products are good in every section ( maybe not excellent but it is good ) and its support and ideas in technology and its security analyzers are good ( maybe brilliant ).Maybe that is a reason for companies to use its OEM version on every laptop and its cloud computing in every where...

What do u think?

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what is Symantec leader? To your question, Why Symantec is a leader in security solutions? Hell no, they were never leader and never will be.

Cheers ;)

@ all

You can know that from reports that is showed by popular Institutes like Gartner & ...Symantec earnings was over than 5 Billion $ and after that Kaspersky with 1.5 billion $ approximately.Open your eyes to see trues ^_^

Because it's made by the US company! US products always win in global market. Same thing on food (McDonalds), beverage (Starbucks), movies (Hollywood), everything. :P

• Administrator

Because Symantec has home to enterprise solutions? It's a big company and their products are not limited to just few. Doesn't mean Symantec is great in everything though.

Because it's made by the US company! US products always win in global market. Same thing on food (McDonalds), beverage (Starbucks), movies (Hollywood), everything. :P

That`s not quite so .

They are the biggest security company if you look at sales (and that`s only because it`s an american company) - if look at quality and level of protection they are not the best !

If Kaspersky (or Eset) would be an american company then they would be the biggest - think a little : american companies , army, government and federal administration buy american products (when it`s about security) . USA is a big commercial market .

Here , on nsane.down , we all know that McAfee sucks big time - still it is on second place - why ? ONLY because it`s american !

AV-Comparatives.org Summary 2010

KlrYB.jpg

QJaig.jpg

You know my opinion already as I have stated it several times n the past and consider most of these threads to be .. more antagonistic than anything else... I mean a few people may come to some self realizations but for the most part it winds up being for sake of argument.

Bottom line.. for system security there is no perfect program. Some very comprehensive ones, don't get me wrong.. but ignoring other factors which are a part of that is is truly not an option, if that is what your going for. There are programs out there which have great protection for files.. and some out perform others. A company's net worth or amount of reciprocating income is not a proper assessment about how good their products are. You can make the statement that they are not trash... but the effect is not that of which we can say why.. Especially when it comes down to the wide range of people who make the mistake of buying the wrong product, and/or have no idea, but feel secure and spread it by word of mouth and so forth.. Giving all of these factors voice, considerable to the end game.. is not really a true assessment of any statements being made by anyone. Posting test results are fine.. but the majority of these are performed in a lab.. vary from Product version to version and even within each one.. its settings - to be able to encompass a wider scope of system configurations and user need.

I always recommend - mind you its a recommendation, not a statement of ' GOD ' title in protection - I recommend using programs which score in the top 5% margin in the lab tests... The reason I state any of this in this manner is that I consider the performance results on a system ( or system load ) and the detection rates.. with advanced options. If you cannot write a program to leave or have the least amount of impact on a system, and do its job; no matter how detailed and intensive it may be.. and be reasonably good at doing the job it was created for.. THEN I would say it is not a good program.. It can set off alarms and do nice tricks... claim its doing this or that.. but if ts not.. forget it... It can be styled with the most recent or last generation queues... but it still does not make it a good product.. It can integrate the latest social networking protections.. appealing to a certain type of user... BUT it still doesn't cover all of the bases... It can use 20 AV engines at once.. but can you still use your computer? ( and why is it missing other areas or not protecting others ) It may detect a ton of things.. and catch them all .. BUT how many times are we going to be killing something ( regular programs, security programs or advanced programs ) or wind up being censored or blocked.. or deleting by mistake - files, and things which are only a false positive or supposedly reported by a well of peers.. giving the average intelligence of every user involved... versus the ones who know.. or haven't done so because they have no clue what is wrong with their systems or problems they have caused themselves? Issues which may be simple incompatibilities or otherwise..

In the end its simple... IF there existed a said one GOD Program.. then in fact there would only be one choice and EVERYONE would be using it.. It would monopolize the industry itself... There would be no question and others simply would not be more than an honorable mention...

IF you consider how many people use these products without logging their information and paying money.. then the numbers are a placebo effect... Consider how many use a free version... How many knowledgeable people out there actually pay for them... How many people actually know what they are doing.. and how to do it... and what are they using? That data is not on file...

How many of these people use these programs, test them and see which one is suited for their system.. their activities on the computer and configurations, how many different ways can you think of to protect a system in its various different considerable areas?

How many people need more options and control and are competent enough to know what they are doing? - with these advanced options... How many people use the one that is already installed and even buy a full license on a new system.. how many of them use something because they simply already have it and even more so .. do not care about any of this.. including system performance or have any comprehension of it.. or even the program? ( OEM installs ) How many companies are able to sign a contract with manufacturer or distributor.. and come in with the lowest bid.. or meet requirements.. or even allow various conditions of said contractual agreement..

Best company.. economic effect.. lots of factors...country.. It is like a word problem in school.. the ones which contain a ton of information which has nothing to do with anything relative to the answer.. IF there even is an answer.. The data for true assessment is ________? :dunno:

All of it... but truly, does that data even exist and how could it even be attainable and manageable.. Why all of the confusion and wide range of ideals on the matter?... What considerations and challenges are faced by the task...

I say you have to choose on your own... what you want and need.. You have to educate yourself on then subjects and consider these factors when choosing... I also say you have to do other things than simply installing a security suite to cover it all because simply put there are too many areas to protect.. there are many different methods.. and, programs of this kind; are there to cover the areas targeted by this type of threat.. You have to inform yourself of the different areas.. and use other methods and/or programs to maintain a system.. This is not a flaw in them.. though - some may not cover some areas.. ( inferior ).. BUT its not where the game stops...

Right now I use a Symantec product which used to be owned by itself.. called PGP Desktop.. it covers another area of protection. I also use other programs to cover different areas such as SpyBot Search and Destroy, Hitman Pro, Tenable Nessus, Vidalia.. My own system maintenance... file cleaning.. SuperHash Calc, DeCafME.. HiJackThis.... an I have extensive knowledge ( though still not GOD - :P ) in areas to keep secure and private with what I need or want to be.. The products, listing a few simple tools.. range from about five different companies.. some specializing in different areas.. Some don't... Each one may even have an area which is better developed in various areas... Even within my browser there is the same effect.. and I have a wide range of other programs as well.. but the point is to cover the bases with th best product or most advanced.. which the best at it.. as seen within my usage.. as well as those areas provided by the OS and Microsoft.. - if I don't top here this could go on for a long time.. :P

Making a war between devs or companies or even the people that use them isn't really what should be focused on.. If you took those superior aspects and worked on putting them into one product the result could be great.. but you would violate many things when you did.. ownership and procurement of intellectual properties comes into play when a person has worked for one company or team and developed a superior product... Including and not limited to legal implications.... AND if you did not allow for configuration then you are wiping out all people except those who are specifically going to use a program in certain ' lab-type' conditions..

Find something for yourself.. that works for you.. I say try to use something in the top 5%.. expand your knowledge in these areas... quit sticking your head in Dun and Bradstreet.. and trying to come out with a plum..There is much more to it all than just that.. Use that method when you are about to burn-in with a contract.. with a company in which you are about to issue large amounts of funds to.. or who is to embark on a large project ( commissioned by you or your company ) requiring financing and stability along with legal proceedings..

It really has nothing to do with choosing the best AV... The other factors may in fact be also prioritized in the actual impact they have on the question asked... You have to consider.. radical factors.. encompassing data... and association... not psychological connection or theorem based on something we know to be a factor in other situations..

there is nothing is best though symantec has the security solutions for big corporations and they hav contracts with big corporate firms like aceenture and others though i hav a personel expiriance with this while i worked for a corporate company the used symantec enterprise solutions(Symantec AV corporate edition ) and i am remembering that one day we found a virus a worm rather named win32 sality F so doono how that worm entered in the network which was secured by symantec

so probebly beacause of bigger corporate tieups made them earn so much and become toppers in the list

ps:this is totally my personel opinion( and experiance too)

I havent used anything from Symantec...I used to use Norton Utilities back in the day. Actually I dont use any malware products except to do a manual scan about once a month. Dont need 'em.

Symantec and McAfee are only rich and well known because they have good marketing. Every OEM computer comes with either a trial version of Symantec or McAfee software, that alone targets the majority of computer users. Alot of those users don't know better and end up buying the product after the trial. In fact you can even buy the full versions when you customize your computer from certain OEM companies such as Dell. That's how they get so much returns and why they are so popular.

I saw that AVG recently began giving away their free antivirus with AMD CPUs so that's also good marketing for them.

Companies with strong marketing will win the popularity contest, that does not mean their product is the best.

@ all

I don't say Norton is the best , i said that is good in every section and that is enough.I think when a company is big and rich,its responsibility to risks is fast and powerfully.You can see that in help and support section in Norton that solve a lot of problems in Norton+chat online+... you can see its news about security and cyber crime . it is update every 5 minutes and etc.

Symantec and McAfee are only rich and well known because they have good marketing. Every OEM computer comes with either a trial version of Symantec or McAfee software, that alone targets the majority of computer users. Alot of those users don't know better and end up buying the product after the trial. In fact you can even buy the full versions when you customize your computer from certain OEM companies such as Dell. That's how they get so much returns and why they are so popular.

I saw that AVG recently began giving away their free antivirus with AMD CPUs so that's also good marketing for them.

Companies with strong marketing will win the popularity contest, that does not mean their product is the best.

Good point ! :clap:

*Sigh*

I tried to avoid this topic, I really did.

No, I do not have fancy charts and cute little columns

showing someone else's data.....all I have is practical experience.

I guess the first thing that bothers me is the identifier.

Some know it as Symantec, while others may toss around the name Norton.

This next quote pertains to this first part also....

Symantec has many products, not just antivirus solutions. That's likely why Symantec's earnings are more than $5 billion.

Now the reality is, just about everything Symantec is has been bought and paid for. Aside from some tweaks, I do not believe ANY of the code they run is thier own..INCLUDING NORTON.....(sorry staff member, no offense intended).

They bought smaller companies years ago, a peice at a time and then paid a group of coders to unite them into a security "suite" Most of you already know what I think of security suites.

Originally, before symantec found some deep pockets, they were a middle of the road player, with Norton always a step ahead, (Norton Ghost), butr Norton was not real good at the business end of marketing, and THAT is where Symantec took control.

So, now you have a middle of the road so-so av suite company buying up pieces of good companies and stamping their name on it.

I have NORTON Ghost....NOT FROM Symantec, and while I am not able to share this program, I can assure you that it works very well considering its' age.

ANd before some electronic historian takes exception to that last statement, they were 2 separate companies. The crossover was in the finance division, NOT the software development division.

All of the charts and columns seem to miss the most important items to a user, ease of use and straight forward security with out all the memory hogging, cpu stealing bells and whistles.

Symantec and McAfee are two of the worst system cows you could possibly use. I would pit just about ANY of the free av solutions against them, partly because they are not really any better, and partly because system performance will be much happier with ANYTHING els.

Just my two cents

@grouchysmurf: You're definitely right about Symantec buying company/products. Just like Adobe, Microsoft and others in the IT business (If you can't beat them, buy them!). If memory serves me right, even Ghost was also bought because I used to have a license for that also when it was not yet branded as Norton Ghost. Some other ones are PGP and BackupExec (formerly Seagate, then Veritas). And I used to use Norton Utilities (i.e. NDD) back in the old DOS days when it wasn't Symantec yet also. I'm also well aware of Symantec and Norton. I've never personally used NAV aside from the company that I worked for previously used it but I recommended to change it because of it being a system cow. When morteza asked "Why Symantec is a leader in security solutions?", I think "security solutions" here constitutes not just their antivirus solutions that's why their earnings are greater than Kaspersky or ESET (according to morteza). But that doesn't make their antivirus solutions superior than ESET or Kaspersky. :)

@grouchysmurf: You're definitely right about Symantec buying company/products. Just like Adobe, Microsoft and others in the IT business (If you can't beat them, buy them!). If memory serves me right, even Ghost was also bought because I used to have a license for that also when it was not yet branded as Norton Ghost. Some other ones are PGP and BackupExec (formerly Seagate, then Veritas). And I used to use Norton Utilities (i.e. NDD) back in the old DOS days when it wasn't Symantec yet also. I'm also well aware of Symantec and Norton. I've never personally used NAV aside from the company that I worked for previously used it but I recommended to change it because of it being a system cow. When morteza asked "Why Symantec is a leader in security solutions?", I think "security solutions" here constitutes not just their antivirus solutions that's why their earnings are greater than Kaspersky or ESET (according to morteza). But that doesn't make their antivirus solutions superior than ESET or Kaspersky. :)

LOL...ahhhh, dos days...I remember them well........

You are correct imo of your assessment of the situation at hand.

We must all remember that it is marketing and back door deal making that drives the market.

You can use whatever you wish to use, but there is no such thing as the greatest solution.

For every test, there is a counter test. Symantec could be considered good if only for the

pieces that it has bought over the years. McAfee is the same way. However, if the question

was, "Who has the best marketing", then hands down it is Symantec and McAfee. As was

said earlier, both of these solutions manage to find their way onto new systems as "trialware".

You simply cannot get a better marketing ploy than that.

:D

Archived