How Do I Know If Someone is Using My Wireless Network (WIFI)

madeinheaven

How Do I Know If Someone is Using My Wireless Network (WIFI)

Wireless routers are very common nowadays. When you sign up for a blockbuster Streamyx deal with TM Net in Malaysia, you are automatically given a free wifi router. Getting a wifi up should be pretty easy with the simple step-by-step manual but setting it up with a strong and secure configuration may not be easy to everyone. If they accidentally end up with WEP encryption, then their wifi network is 100% prone to being hacked within minutes using BackTrack. In fact WPA can be cracked if the key (password) being used is a common word that exist in dictionary.

Better safe than sorry, it is always a good idea to periodically check for any intruders in your wireless network because they illegally use your Internet connection without your permission and can steal your files on a public open shared folder. A day ago miyu_07 asked an interesting question in our forum on how will he know if someone using his wifi and swarup1987 suggested two links which both articles advice to look in the router logs. A wireless router normally has DHCP service enabled by default to manage IP addresses in a network avoiding IP conflict problems. Checking for connected clients via DHCP is not a good method because a more experienced user can set a static IP address and they won’t show up in the DHCP client list.

A better method to detect connected computers in your wireless network is to use a network scanner. One of such tool which I have been using is SoftPerfect Network Scanner. It is a portable and free tool that automatically scans the whole IP range of which you belong to. For example if your IP is 192.168.1.8, then it will by default enter the range from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255. If you go to the Program Options > Additional tab, you can enable SoftPerfect Network Scanner to reveal more information such as NIC (Network Interface Controller) vendor, comments, monitor info and etc…

SoftPerfect Network Scanner

85661978151839508998.gif

Wireless Network Watcher

Another similar tool to SoftPerfect Network Scanner which you can use is the free and portable Wireless Network Watcher by Nir Sofer. It pretty much does the same thing except simplified to automatically show who is connected to your wireless network. All you need to do is run the portable executable file and it automatically starts scanning your IP range, showing you the IP address, device name, MAC address, network adapter company, device information, user text and date of detection with count. In the Advanced Options, you can select which network adapter to use to scan and also manually specifying the IP range. There is a background scan which continuously scan to automatically discover new devices or computers that connected the network, without manually pressing on the Start Scanning (play) button.

19735422136093373805.png

I think that the “Device Information” column is pretty useful to amateurs because it tells you if it is your router or your computer. On a Windows 7 computer, I have tried disabling Ping response, used ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and NetLimiter to block all incoming connections but both Wireless Network Watcher and SoftPerfect Network Scanner is able to detect the computer, although revealing less information.

Source: raymond.cc

• Replies 13
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice work madeinheaven , you can also use ip scanner by radmin , which i use for some time to control my networks!

http://www.radmin.com/download/ipscan20.exe

its also free !!

enjoy

no programs needed. its all there in the router!

set up mac access control and ull have no problem at all.

but if you don't want anyone to access your router on your networks , those utilities can assist you .

no programs needed. its all there in the router!

set up mac access control and ull have no problem at all.

but if you don't want anyone to access your router on your networks , those utilities can assist you .

Most people know what there doing these days around routers.

If they aint set there router / wifi with passwords then they should be shot!

no one can breach to the router if you set it to only allow the main admin. (ip or mac address)

There are enough Linux apps that will allow anyone with half a brain to hack any WIFI account.

The best way to monitor it is to watch the speed of your downloads or streaming video. If it starts to degrade start logging into your router and change passwords.

MAC spoofing is possible now a days. Piggy backing is just as easy. If you are paranoid about security go wired only.

• 3 months later...

i prefer to use this ! >;D

http://www.whoisonmywifi.com/

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish

Detect language » Filipino

not need programs just check ur router for mac adress. thats to easy. if ur router's password changed by some one just reset it and use new and strong password

I have a wireless router but I disable its wireless network since I use the wire connection less of a hassle :)

• 1 month later...

Archived