Two Bootable HDDs or Two Partitions

bigjohn

G'day

I have a 64 bit Asus system with 8GB of RAM, and W7 64 Ultimate OS and I have another PC with XP Pro 32, I'd like to clone the XP OS on the 64 bit PC. One of the reasons is that I cannot run my printer on W7 64, also I have different software programs on the two PCs. I do not want to do clean installs. What would be the best way to get the best results? Do I create two partitions an a new HDD, or do I use two HDDs each with a different OS?

I'll appreciate your help

Regards

John

• Replies 6
  • Views 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1- almost no difference as if two partitions or separate drives (unless you are planing in keep switching them on-off)

2- I might not get you right, but in order to install OS'es properly- best advice is to run clean install. Its a matter of how boot is sorted for one, then Priorities etc.

Mate thanks for your answer.

So, if I installed HDD images or cloned the drives to their respective partitions, it may not boot?

Only clean installs would work?

John

So, if I installed HDD images or cloned the drives to their respective partitions, it may not boot?

Only clean installs would work?

to be short- no comment!

Could/would/maybe= messy/unreliable/not necessary

XP mode... some issues are like drivers simply don't load/ are not compatible(different structure depending on OS'es) and primarily question about printer compatibility- do clean XP install, then W7 and as ever- I'd advise you another partition for your important files to access from both and have them safe independent of OS'es and programs partitions and failures

It's very possible you might be able to install the printer in Win 7 as a generic device, although you might lose some advanced features.

Thanks guys

All my data is in another drive. Boot drive I use only to install programs.

I'll try Acronis Migrate on a new HD in case I mess up.

Thanks.

John

Archived