Firefox 5: How to Install or Enable Incompatible Extensions

madeinheaven

madeinheaven

Firefox 5: How to Install or Enable Incompatible Extensions

96938819027686046412.png

Firefox 5 has released for a short time, but the Firefox add-ons, plug-ins and extensions have not been updated to be compatible with Firefox 5. There are a lot of incompatible extensions been ...

Firefox 5 has released for a short time, but the Firefox add-ons, plug-ins and extensions have not been updated to be compatible with Firefox 5. There are a lot of incompatible extensions been detected, which be automatically disabled by Firefox 5. However, some Firefox add-ons, plug-ins and extensions, which may be able to work well in Firefox, has also been labeled as incompatible by Firefox 5. If you want to install or re-enable the incompatible extensions, just read on this tutorial and you will find the answer.

Install or Enable Incompatible Extensions in Firefox 4

Following the steps below, you can disable and turn off Firefox 5 extensions compatibility check to install or enable incompatible extensions in Firefox 5.

37795435473537353285.png

1. Open your Firefox 5, and enter "about:config" into the address bar. Then Press "Enter" or click "Go".

40442919706634538506.png

2. When the warning prompt appears, click "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.

3. Right-click on the windows, and choose "New -> Boolean" from pop-up menu.

21219694888935116136.png

4. Type "extensions.checkCompatibility.5" into the preference name box, and click "OK".

78871179854895623906.png

5. Switch its value to False.

70494688054259108607.png

6. Restart the Firefox

At this point your extensions should install just fine…

43804464542037576965.png

45344699254263348932.png

You can install or re-enable the incompatible extensions now. But you should keep in mind that not all the extensions can work well in the latest Firefox, Firefox 5, especially when the extension has been tagged as incompatible.

• Replies 21
  • Views 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not working here my IDM addon is still not compatible :frusty: my rig is win7 ultimate x64

extensions.checkCompatibility

extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0

Try and see if those are there.. and set to false..

..AND do you have the Add-on Collector Extension Installed?

madeinheaven

not working here my IDM addon is still not compatible :frusty: my rig is win7 ultimate x64

You can install or re-enable the incompatible extensions now. But you should keep in mind that not all the extensions can work well in the latest Firefox, Firefox 5, especially when the extension has been tagged as incompatible!!

48280889936159224489.png

Even it says IDM CC is not compatible with Firefox 5 IDM still working fine here.[win7 ultimate x64]

I have to look I had this problem with mine too.. and I fixed it just don't remember what I did.. exactly until I look..

extensions.check-compatibility.saved.extensions.checkCompatibility

extensions.check-compatibility.saved.4.0

Could be it.. I am going to Prefs.js now to look.. I actually took the prefs from 3 and dropped them in to get mine to work and stay that way.. afterward I had to change two things.. and I had also used an extension which would install on the fly and disappear that supposedly was to help with it..

Okay install this addon.. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/checkcompatibility/ I also always kill the Compatibility Check when the new install starts.. You should feel special I actually installed 5.0 just for this reason I just installed this.. and it states all are to be re-enabled upon start.. so we shall see.

This does also not work without the rest of those settings applied.. I have been through that already..

EDIT: Seems to have done the trick yet now I don't seem to have the function in a few areas but I am not for sure the cause.. extension or other problem..

• Administrator

@implague: Your addons (including IDM) is working after this trick. It's just showing that it's incompatible. ;)

But, but, there IS some technical problem with IDM on Firefox 5. IDM has this special compatibility with Firefox which isn't there anymore. Should wait for a update of the IDM addon.

• Administrator

Do the addon he has incompatible not having any option settings?

Incompatible addons, when made to work, should have options like compatible ones. But I guess those two don't.

Tricky .. seems that this type of development is sort of what I was afraid of..everything that makes it appealing starts to become unstable and useless.. actually starting to worry a little...

• Administrator

Tricky .. seems that this type of development is sort of what I was afraid of..everything that makes it appealing starts to become unstable and useless.. actually starting to worry a little...

Most of the addons that are installed by a outside software/application don't have any options. :)

Well, its not just that... or his extensions that I am worried about.. Its mine.. seems that several or some of them are causing issues now with 5... rendering them useless.. and the ones I have were chosen for what they do and specifically HOW they do it.. some of which have not been updated since version 2 or 3.. so abandoned extensions.. or possibly devs who are not fluent in how to make them work in the new scheme of things.. can't devote the time and so on..

• Administrator

Ah I see. Well only one addon was incompatible with Firefox 4 and was broken. I trashed it and found another way to do the addon's job. As for Firefox 5, the only addon that seems broken is IDM. Going back to you, if you want you can post your addons so that we can find alternatives. :)

No.. I have spent a couple of days doing this already.. Besides that I don't like to be one of those people who sit there as people keep bringing me something and all I say.. is .. ' Nooo....' and wave you away to venture out again.. ( like a slave or servant.. ) :lmao: Wouldn't want to give you rage-face.. :P I would love to replace them but not at that cost :thumbsup:

BossKey is one of them... for example.. as to what I mean.. there are approximately 4 extensions which lay claim to do what a Panic Button is to do.. HOWEVER.. Boos Key allows you to Hide and Show FF using Hotkeys.. With extensive options in this area.. allows you to limit the memory and dump some of the usage when doing so.. it has options as to how to appear when doing so.. and has options for Program Transparency.. UI Options include a Button which can be added to FF.. if need be..

Now out of those extensions which I have found that could be replacements.. One will allow you to hide the Window.. yet will not give you Hotkey options, nor option on how this hiding is to appear.. and you must and can only use it with a big hinky button on the navbar..Another will also allow you to minimize the window but not hide it completely.. with minimal options and so on and on.. the story goes.. No minimalism, and void of being a complete extension.. which seems to be geared for those sneaking around at work and not as a useful additional function for the UI.. FAIL... is what happened... with the others which leaves me with being better off throwing the function away than steeping down to a product which accomplishes nothing more than the idealism of being a viable replacement..

EZSidebar.. another good example.. I see nobody else able to do what I can do ..especially with an added Script here and there for autohide when my Sidebar is actually attached to my browser window... nor able to roll it up when needed.. all of this relative to th perfect form and easy of use when it comes to the usage I can get an need for convenience from FF.. out of probably a hundred results at Mozilla.. nothing pulls its weight as a replacement .. even in some cases a culmination of extensions.. which just winds up making it heavy...

Lost yet.. <_< BUT yeah.. I wouldn't put anyone through that... LOL .. extension after extension..

nop still working with me after i installed the disable compatibility addon

here is the screen t3CWy.jpg

now it is working for me i reinstalled the IDM again and its working

LOL.. looks like it has re-enabled it... BUT before you do anything.. close Firefox and go to your profile directory and check for entries in your prefs.js file relative to compatibility.. see if you have anything there... If this is a new profile for version 5.. then you may have to reset it to false.. and restart the program.. IF you change these settings with Firefox running at all in Task Manager.. your changes will not take effect and will be erased.. SO make sure it is done right...When you start FF afterwards then it should have the new settings..

I think I should share my Profile.. LOL not sure how safe that would be though.. :rolleyes:

Read update.. LOL

touchyfeelyhugfreak

I had trouble getting this to work, until i changed the boolean string to "extensions.checkCompatibility.5.0" (adding the ".0" to the end got everything working.)

the “extensions.checkCompatibility” hack did not work in FF5 guys.

can not install highlighter addon in FF5 as it is incompatible. Google search tells you can edit the addon xpi file . here is the link to the tutorial.

http://indigic.com/productivity/how-to-install-incompatible-addons-in-firefox-5-0/

May be it will help. I could install highlighter after this.

Hope it helps all who need it.

cheers!!

Archived