Opera 11.10 gets WebP support, faster "Turbo" mode

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

g6VKo.png

Opera software has pushed out the final version of Opera 11.10, an upgrade to the company’s flagship desktop Web browser. Opera 11.10 brings a significant speed bump to Opera’s Turbo browsing mode, new Speed Dial features, and some more HTML5 support.

You can download Opera 11.10 for Mac, Windows, and Linux from the Opera website.

Opera’s Turbo mode has been around for several years now and allows you to download sites faster over slow connections. Turbo works by proxying your connection through Opera’s servers and compressing websites before you download them. The latest version compresses sites even more, making it up to four times faster than previous Turbo releases, and 15 percent faster than Opera without Turbo, according to the company.

Turbo’s new compression tricks now take advantage of Google’s WebP image format to shrink photos and graphics before you download. WebP is Google’s effort to improve on JPG, making images smaller without degrading the image quality. Thus far only Opera and Chrome support the WebP image format.

WebP does an impressive job of making images smaller in Turbo, though in my testing there were still some compression artifacts visible, particularly with larger images. Still, for those times you find yourself with a slow Internet connection, Turbo makes Opera significantly faster than the competition, and that alone makes Opera worth having around, even if it’s not your primary Web browser.

The other big news in this release are the changes to Speed Dial, which shows frequently visited site thumbnails in the new window or new tab view. Several other browsers have since copied Opera’s Speed Dial, but Opera keeps tweaking it with new features. Speed Dial in Opera 11.10 is more customizable and allows you to set how many thumbnails you’d like to see.

Opera has long been a leader in Web standards support and the latest release continues that transition adding partial support for the HTML5 File API. Unfortunately, the “partial” File API support does not extend to the drag and drop file uploading used by some websites (notably Gmail).

Other new features in Opera 11.10 include automatic updates for plugins like Adobe Flash, and some IMAP improvements for Opera’s built-in mail client. For a complete list of everything that’s new in Opera 11.10, check out the full change log.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a benchmark of the browsers installed on my system, everything is up to date. While benchmarking Opera, I also read mail, downloaded attachments, browsed forums, read an article and had open like 15 tabs (or more). Testing in the other browsers was done as suggested, in a new browser window opened especially for the test.

post-2350-0-22195300-1302654408_thumb.pn

On my laptop configurations, it's behind chrome

benched.jpg

Linux aspire 2.6.35-28-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 14:40:58 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Intel T4200

3GB DDR3 RAM

Intel GMA 4500M

I cannot believe I installed Chrome just for this. Anyway... all can I say is lol, but meh, take a look at the results.

@bahamot: You must probably upgraded your Opera from older versions? I read a clean install is recommended.

post-2350-0-03297100-1302700518_thumb.pn

I remember the days of Opera introducing Turbo feature... wasn't that good as images where not loading, cookies not loading, so is passwords etc.

Good for somebody with my Internet speeds, but rather not to use in all other circumstances

Toyo: I just did a clean install but get a bit lower score ... I guess it just doesn't like my setup. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I see your CPU is 2.0 GHz, mine (Core 2 Duo) is 3.16 GHz; maybe it likes a little more speed to unfold. This speaks very nicely of Chrome, that manages to do very good with few resources.

SacredCultivator

Will probably test out this new version when Portable version is updated.

Though I know that on Portables, speed is a bit harder to benchmark since it's running off your USB Drive.

• Administrator

Did you guys look into the details of the benchmarks of peacekeeper? Compare every detail of the numbers of both Chrome and Opera. Don't you see something fishy in those numbers? ;)

Did you guys look into the details of the benchmarks of peacekeeper? Compare every detail of the numbers of both Chrome and Opera. Don't you see something fishy in those numbers? ;)

The data part on chrome is significantly higher than any browser.

benched.jpg

Another benchmark using older laptop (Dell Inspiron 9300).

• Administrator

@toyo: To be really straight. I feel Chrome is cheating on Peacekeeper, not only in numbers but also in some specific parts of the benchmark. I've had noticed this on my last benchmark and some people on other sites are confirming it.

You think Chrome is not that fast as it shows on the benchie? But all the websphere cries at Chrome's feet about how amazingly fast it is. It should be fast, since it's such a barebone browser.

I'm not a fan (I like it tho'), as I just installed it today for the first time.

• Administrator

That's the question that I'm having. But doing my personal tests found that Chrome, at some cases, loses to Firefox 4 and IE9. Almost makes me feel Chrome's speed is more virtual than real. And no, I'm not a anti-Chrome guy to be saying that.

Now about benchmarks, did you click on Chrome's bar and Opera's bar to see the details?

Well, I'm planning to do a full attention benchmark of Chrome from some time now.

Archived