2010 Top ' Must Have ' and Recommended Software

HX1

Top Software list and ' Must Haves ' for 2010 - Windows 7 Ultimatesb.png

This is a cumulative list of software which I deemed as ' necessities ' for my Windows 7 Ultimate.

The softwares have been used for the entire 2010 year. They will be broken down into categories with short descriptions and links.

The objective here is to present the best possible software solution for each element, cover all aspects and considerable elements for the everyday user; making it possible to accomplish any and all task on a system - giving it full functionality with the least amount of applications possible. This thread will also be the place for all members of the forums and site to add their recommendations which fit the minimum criteria..This means that the programs and application must have been used all year on Windows 7.. Be fully compatible and are not simply extensions of tool and utilities already included on Windows 7.. Deemed something that you must have, to make your computer complete.. You may also debate and state why software should not be listed.. However keep in mind that some may be as valuable and useful as others.. multiple entries can be accepted..All categories and subcategories should be analyzed.. Any confusion about them.. just ask..

This is a Drafted List until the word ' FINAL ' will be included in the Topic Title.. This effort does need everyones assistance.. As you can see it is incomplete.. ( I have even left some of mine off the list ) unfinished.. and still needs a few things added and possibly some taken away.. This can and will included specialized programs such as Web Servers...

As these recommendations are made they will be added to the main list.. and the final product will stand to represent the compilation of this list by this forum.. :D Looking forward to your thoughts on it..

Administrative Tools

Accessibility Management

Desktop
  • DesktopListView
    - This small AutoIt! Program will change the default view of your desktop icons to a list view

• Litestep
    - An Alternative Shell that can be used to give a new desktop environment which is highly customizable.

• Rainmeter
    - Desktop customization platform.

• FastStone Capture
    - Complete screen capture editing an annotation software.

• TrueTransparency
    - Allows you to replace window's borders with skins and adds features such as Winroll.

System

• LogonStudio
    - Takes an ordinary logon and makes it look the way you want it to.

• CFi Shell Toys
    - Over 50 Shell Tools.. too much.. check the site.. Take Control of your Context Menu..

• VistaGlazz
    - Enable the use of new styles on your OS without the cost of extra resources..

• SendToToys
    - Better control over your SendTo.. menu..

• FastPreview
    - It is now a pretty handy tool to display images in a fast manner and is an alternative to the functionality Windows has built-in.

TaskBar/Tray

Data Management

Analyzation

• Disk Space Fan Pro
    - A nice disk space analysis tool for Windows

• VisiPics
    - Hit the link for the description, extremely useful.

• WinMerge
    - WinMerge is an Open Source differencing and merging tool for Windows.

Compression

• 7-Zip
    - A file archiver with a high compression ratio.

• WinRAR
    - Powerful compression tool with many integrated additional functions to help you organize your compressed archives.

Physical

• Nero Burning ROM
    - Industry’s leading CD, DVD and Blu-ray Disc burning software.

Virtual

• PowerISO
    - CD/DVD image file processing tool, which allows you to open, extract, create, edit, compress, encrypt, split and convert ISO files, and mount these files with internal virtual drive.

Network Management Resources

Control

Info

Shaping

• cFos Speed
    - Per Protocol, Program Traffic Shaping to keep your Internet smooth;increases your throughput and reduces your Ping.

• HostsMan
    - Manage your hosts( s ) file with ease..

• Vidalia
    - Graphical controller for the Tor software.

• PeerBlock
    - Lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet.

• PGWare Throttle
    - Boosts download and upload speeds and squeezes out every last bit of performance your Cable, DSL, Dial-Up, Satellite, and Mobile Phone modem is capable of.

• HoneyPorts
    - A project that creates dummy ports and reports to the user when a connection is made. These dummy ports can have a fake service which tricks port scanners. Also, the user is notified when they are being port scanned or being DoS'd

Data

• Windows Live Mesh - Keeps files synced between computers, part of Windows Live Essentials 2011..

Transfer

• Apache - A secure, efficient and extensible server that provides HTTP services in sync with the current HTTP standards.
  • IceCast - Free server software for streaming multimedia.
  • TVersity - Play personal and Internet media (even Full Episodes) on TV, STB, game consoles and mobile
  • Plone - Free Open-Source CMS.
  • EdCast - Encoding for IceCast.
  • Titan FTP - enterprise class server product with unparalleled performance and scalability
  • Vibe Streamer - Stream your music anywhere.

Security

Access

Analyze

• Tenable Network Security
    - provides a suite of solutions that unify real-time vulnerability, event and compliance monitoring into a single, role-based, interface for administrators, auditors and risk managers to evaluate, communicate and report needed information for effective decision making and systems management.

• ESET Smart Security
    - Stops most new threats proactively, well before other vendors have issued a signature, maximizing your defense against new and unknown threats.

• HiJack This!
    - Find settings changed by spyware, malware, or other unwanted programs.

• Hitman Pro
    - Second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).

Data

• Acronis True Image Home w/PlusPack 2011
    - Assures that all your important data, including photos, videos, music, documents and applications, are fully protected and can be recovered quickly in the event of any disaster or when migrating to a new system. More comprehensive than Windows Backup solution.

• Eraser 5.8.7
    - Safely and easily erase private data from your hard drive.

• R-Studio
    - File Recovery Software

• SuperHashCalc
    - File Checksum Generator Checker..

Surveillance - Video, Motion Detection, Recording..

Update

Services Management

• Process Hacker - Tool for manipulating processes and services on your computer.
  • Clear ALL Logs.bat - Clear all Logs in the Event Viewer... ( not one at a time for like a hundred different ones )

System Tools

HD Tools

• NoSleep HD
    - Prevent Sleepy lagging drives.. and problematic access with this little tool..

• Ultimate Defrag
    - De-fragmentation and optimization of your storage devices.

• Diskeeper 2010 Pro Premier
    - Designed for high end computer systems and power users to unleash all the speed and reliability and the extra power boost the systems were built to deliver.

Registry

• Windows 7 Manager
    - Includes over thirty different utilities to optimize, tweak, clean up and repair your Windows 7.

• O&O Registry Editor
    - The O&O RegEditor makes working with the registration database significantly easier, expanding the features of the default RegEdit in the OS.

• WinASO Registry Optimizer
    - No. 1 registry optimizer rated by CNET editor...

System

• Runboxx
    - Can be shortcut key triggered and a stylish upgrade for a CMD Prompt.

• VirtualBox
    - Virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use.

Code Dev

Digital Design

• Adobe Master Collection CS5 - Enables you to design and develop amazing work, collaborate effectively, and deliver virtually anywhere.
  • FontManager X3 - Font Manager Software
  • Axialis Icon Workshop - Create and acquire icons from resources.
  • ArtSage - ArtSage is a small graphics viewer, standalone; packed with features.

Digital Inscription

• ConvertAll! - All-in-one converter..
  • Foxit Phantom - Business ready PDF toolkit, with everything you need to create professional PDF documents and streamline business processes.
  • Microsoft Office 2010 - Offers flexible and powerful new ways to deliver your best work—at the office, at home, or at school.

Entertainment

• Winamp - Multimedia Player...
  • CD Art Display - Free desktop program that shows the current song cover in a customizable skin.
  • SPlayer - Fully functional HD Video Player... great option and features...

Internet

Communication

• Miranda IM
    - Open-source multi protocol instant messenger client for Microsoft Windows. Do everything from run a webserver to check your mail.. Compatible with all protocols including Facebook..

• Windows Live Essentials 2011
    - Do more with Windows on your PC with free programs from Microsoft for photos, movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more.

Client

Browser

• Firefox
    - Your web, the way you like it.

• Iron
    - Use all of the features of Google Chrome without worrying about your privacy.

• Opera
    - Surf the Web with lightning speed, using the fastest browser ever. Slogans who needs them..

Media Dev

• Traktor Studio
    - Mix digital files on four decks, using the high-quality internal mixer or external hardware, and the best effects suite around.

• Sony Sound Forge
    - Digital audio editing software includes a powerful set of audio processes, tools, and effects for manipulating audio.

Codec

• K-Lite Full
    - The K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of DirectShow filters, VFW/ACM codecs, and tools. Include Media Player Classic..

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No eBoostr? and ProcessLasso?

For defrag, I prefer DK or PD

Burning.....Ashampoo

Tweaking...Windows 7 Manager

Registry....jv16

PDF....Nitro

No eBoostr? and ProcessLasso?

While eBoostr is great and I stood behind it for years even on my XP system, I found the caching ability of Windows 7 to be good enough.. and technically a waste if you don't have enough RAM, or only applicable if you have an older system which does not have enough RAM or only supports upgrading to a low number like 1.5 GB or something.. and at that .. then you would only have USB 1.0 ports.. rare for systems to have one without the other.. so I stopped using it.. Plus if you use the RAM side of it on boot it can actually slow down system startup without any visible speed increases... When it does increase response times it is very rare for the cost to other areas.. BUT like I said I have always said that it was a good program and seemed to help in some small ways on XP systems... I use like no cache accentuating tools.. I big help I got was optimizing my system.. BUT if it really is a must have and you think to be the best.. and really does make a difference.. I will gladly add it in.. Added Diskeeper BTW...

what the useful for apache for home user ?

it's for developer.

An HTTP server can be useful to everyone.. I mean IMO.. you do not have to be a developer to run a server, or set it up.. So even a Novice can use it and run/start a website.. Was one of the first things I learned... on a computer... NOW when t comes to implementing some of the other projects on Apache.org into the server itself.. or in conjunction with .. that would definitely be for a developer... some of it can be pretty bad .. Much of it I don't get.. Apache was self-taught.. the others I don't know where to start exactly.. or what to use them for .. ( even with their description.. ). You should see Plone.. WebDav and FTP .. versioning... written in Python.. Baffling but somehow I use it quite well..

It took me three days to finally post this up because I had second thoughts and I am not for sure why... I still feel 'ODD' posting it and may have this deleted... Don't know why I feel that way but usually when I do there is a reason for it.. Weird.. like i can't put my finger on it just yet.. Its not about the community or replies either .. I just.. I don't know.. Sounds stupid I know...

very well written post, i prefer EasyPHP for dev, and home users, comes with Apache and MySQL

I actually have been using IIS 7.5 for a simple server to front door.. to my other servers and resources... Problem .. is trying to run PHP.. For WAMP or Apache while on a system running IIS or vice versa.. Two different versions have to be used... else one or the other will not run..

There are a lot of options that come into play with IIS 7.5 but I am not really currently able to use it freely... It has a specific needs.. you start messing with it.. without knowing it and it quits running...so I need to be more knowledgeable with it before I can truly expand it.. BUT again it comes with Windows... and has a great Web Platform Installer that you can get to download and install some cool things.. Helps to know .NET though.. ( which I don't .. LOL )

EasyPHP looks like a good package though.. may add it in.. look into it as much as I can.. The only PHP based thing I have rght now is the mBot serve I have running out of MirandaIM which is portable... problem is it uses an old version and development for mBot has stopped..I also had Webi running out of it which is an online version of MirandaIM sort of like eBuddy or something.. but cool nevertheless.. I have the capability to run several server types with MirandaIM... seems to be the one I choose for full time.. serves pages and I can upload as well... spent some time with it...

You use nice softwares (Those are the same as me :tease: )

Thanks for "NoSleep HD", I didn't know and I just had some sleeping problems with my WD NAS these days...(I had to unplug/plug power AC to switch on it !)

Glad you know SPlayer. it's great, isn't it ?

Too bad that it's not well known (even on nsane ^^). I'm testing these days to look for the best video players and it is on the podium for the moment...

++

Yeah SPlayer is nice.. ( hard to read the Chinese though.. Had to fix that in the last update.. easier than I thought ) would be better if I had a better system for it.. but even on my laptop its good.. On a newer/better system I would probably check out Corel WinDVD.. I use MPC a lot still though seems to have a little less resource usage.. but on my system its a big difference between running other programs or solely watching video... ( still a good player though )

NoSleepHD actually is one of the necessities.. My Seagate would be fine until I did some browsing.. then tried to save a file.. FF would lock up and sit there for like ever.. I would have to unplug the USB and then back in and restart the download in some cases.. Really crap they have put this into EHD's without any control over it.. The old Iomega with the other Seagate drive.. doesn't do this.. Oh and there is another one called xSleep but I didn't much like it.. only has the ability for four drives I think and will allow you to set a timer or schedule.. got some errors though during a few options and processes.. and I haven't used it all year.. so..

EDIT: Question how many of you would suggest that I split up Adobe Master Collection CS5 into the necessary categories? Keep thinking I should as its the way I have it in my Start Menu..

EDIT2: Modified my previous replies as well.. so may want to rescan.. LOL .. sorry I wasn't awake this morning.. :P

Yep.. LOL.. not all of us get to have Windows Aero.. AND it also allows for more customization.. and options..You can have a style in use for instance on your Windows such as APPOWS Lite ( or even plain default Aero Blue/Basic - even at that its ice as an extra to having aero ) on mine which changes various characteristics.. but has an ugly bar min/max button area... Then you can use TT to change it to any skin you desire..mix and match something that is individual or make your own.. Plus you get Winroll.. and still get to use AeroShake and AeroSnap capabilities.. Next this would be using something like WindowsBlinds .. which is nice if you can avoid Pulse... and have the extra resources to devote to it.. this way your using about 1.6 MB of extra memory.. by patching the system to use a style which requires nothing more.. and using the little extra skin.. and you can turn it on and off as needed.. There are also programs that will allow you to patch the Background images for folders, and Panels in Windows as well.. ( and StartButton ) .. none of which tax your system anymore than it is needed to apply it..no extra services .. nothing..

Why I chose to setup the way I did.. and you can change system styles by using themes or w/e of the Style you have downloaded and dropped into WINDOWS\Resources\Themes..

• Administrator

Nice list. Trying Nessus again. :)

You should add secunia to the list. Dropbox became quite famous in 2010. AIDA64 made a return and replaced Everest. Main devs of OpenOffice left Oracle and released LibreOffice. Nitro Free PDF Reader is another great one released in 2010. Some of the things I've seen. :)

EDIT: Hashtab is also a nice addition. Also love Minilyrics.

• Administrator

Well, tried Nessus, it's service is taking quite high amount of RAM. About 400MB. I don't think I'll be able to use it on this 2GB RAM. Will have to wait for another 2GB to come back. This literally hangs my PC. :(

Thats odd.. Mine has 2 GB.. I run it fine.. now when its is downloading and updating its plugins.. it seems like it hangs but doesn't... You did get a license for it ? Configuring it for a proper scan can be a bit too.. Seems really odd though that it would hang you whole system.. I usually can go on ahead and run everything I am doing browser and all with it running and scanning my system and router..

Might be something else.. or your already operating using quite a few resources.. or something..

Yep.. LOL.. not all of us get to have Windows Aero.. AND it also allows for more customization.. and options..You can have a style in use for instance on your Windows such as APPOWS Lite ( or even plain default Aero Blue/Basic - even at that its ice as an extra to having aero ) on mine which changes various characteristics.. but has an ugly bar min/max button area... Then you can use TT to change it to any skin you desire..mix and match something that is individual or make your own.. Plus you get Winroll.. and still get to use AeroShake and AeroSnap capabilities.. Next this would be using something like WindowsBlinds .. which is nice if you can avoid Pulse... and have the extra resources to devote to it.. this way your using about 1.6 MB of extra memory.. by patching the system to use a style which requires nothing more.. and using the little extra skin.. and you can turn it on and off as needed.. There are also programs that will allow you to patch the Background images for folders, and Panels in Windows as well.. ( and StartButton ) .. none of which tax your system anymore than it is needed to apply it..no extra services .. nothing..

Why I chose to setup the way I did.. and you can change system styles by using themes or w/e of the Style you have downloaded and dropped into WINDOWS\Resources\Themes..

lol, forgot some don't have aero.. used TT before on xp, it's really light on resources.. (and know my way around uxtheme as well, but still liking 7's aero)

and i'll add (now that i got the half-assed comment out of the way :D) that you've written a great list, some good wares up there.. ;)

this will be useful to many peeps..

anyway, about the aero more, i know an author who made an aero enabler for home basic with an option to disable hw check as well, if interested.. or maybe u'll take ur ram instead... :P

Well yeah I actually have a few little programs that will glass up everything... I do mean glass EVERYTHING.. the issue on my system isn't version.. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.. BUT.. the problem here is that my tiny little 64 MB chip is only DirectX 6 and partial 9 compatible... Even enabling for lesser version will not work on these..

BTW feel free to post up anything you feel should be added!..

Well, tried Nessus, it's service is taking quite high amount of RAM. About 400MB. I don't think I'll be able to use it on this 2GB RAM. Will have to wait for another 2GB to come back. This literally hangs my PC. :(

Okay so I did a startup and what happened on mine was this.. Started up started low around 16 then climbed to 44.. then decided to keep going.. it made it to 55 then jumped directly to 450... Stayed that way until I signed in to the Web UI, selected a Policy which included all Plugins...initiated a scan, and immediately dropped back down to 16 MB.. The Controller uses 0.4 MB.. so no change there at all.. I didn't run an update or anything.. and I think what may be taking so much RAM is loading all of the compiled plugins into memory.. To me this isn't a problem.. because you don't just leave it running or run the service all of the time.. ( changing it to manual ).. The only time I use it is when I am ready to do n assessment.. after which I take the report either in the UI or saved and make changes accordingly on my system to comply with proper security and updates/patches.. Then I stop the server... and close the controller.. While scanning it used between 40 and 8 Percent CPU..( 1.7 GHz single core Celeron ) and about 80 MB RAM.. running ALL tests.. Still was able t browse and use my system..

But I didn't notice any drop in the performance of my system during any of this.. now loading a page in FF at the same time did seem to lag a bit but that was it.. I would check it out and see if yours does the same thing..

• Administrator

I see. Well, my computer almost crashes due to full RAM when I try to open localhost thingy. Didn't go ahead after that.

Well I am not for sure on your setup.. but sounds like you have something else taking up some massive memory somewhere... or CPU.. odd.. I can run his thing on my Mom and Dad system is why I am so inquisitive about it.. it only has a 1.6 GHz Athlon AMD Single Core and 512 RAM ..256 KB L2, 64 KB L1.. Sounds like you have something wrong somewhere.. maybe with a setting or something. Did you do anything with Windows 7 Manager, in the System Speed section, ever?

May try switching localhost in the URL to 127.0.0.1 .. sometimes is a problem loading in FF.. Plus you have ad an exception to get past the Security warning because the certificate for Nessus does not match the local system it is being run on.. LOL

But yeah something doesn't seem right..

Here are some alternatives and extras. Most are free.

File Manager

-SpeedCommander (64bit) (Shareware)

System Cleaner

-CCleaner

Registry Cleaner

-Auslogics Registry Cleaner

Uninstaller

-Revo Uninstaller

Picture Organizer

-Picasa

Picture Viewer

-Zoner Photo Studio or

-Fastone Image Viewer or

-Irfanview

CD/DVD Burning

-Ashampoo Burning Studio Elements or

-Burnaware

Image Create/Burn

-ImgBurn

Image Emulation

-Daemon Tools Lite or

-Alcohol 52%

Computer Imaging

-Shadow Protect (Shareware) or

-Macrium Reflect Free

Screen Capture

-PicPick

Ipod Management

-iTunes

PDF Reader

-Adobe Reader Lite

Antivirus

-avast! Free

DVD Copy

-1 Click DVD Copy (Shareware)

...others

-Autoruns

-Process Explorer

• 5 weeks later...

There's lot up there I would never use but overall a good list.

I'd say some things missing are..

XAMPP for developers

Putty too

and Instant Color Picker

and Notepad++

and Filezilla

and firebug

Temp File Cleaner by Oldtimer is the sweetest little program.

For IM I like Trillian

Jdownloader

VMware

Archived