[SOLVED] TuneUp Utilities 2011 service crashes

toyo

You must open the program window from the systray icon, then close it. This should crash the background service too, generating two events in Event Viewer>Custom Views>Administrative Events.

Maybe it is something related to my specific config. I won't bother with this any more - it makes me want to reinstall Windows, and I promised myself that a new, clean install will only happen when SP1 appears.

Fell free to hit me with any new piece of info, I'll be following this topic.

Thank you!

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
unknownasphyxiated

You must open the program window from the systray icon, then close it. This should crash the background service too, generating two events in Event Viewer>Custom Views>Administrative Events.

Maybe it is something related to my specific config. I won't bother with this any more - it makes me want to reinstall Windows, and I promised myself that a new, clean install will only happen when SP1 appears.

Fell free to hit me with any new piece of info, I'll be following this topic.

Thank you!

i did both right click and left click plus double click the shortcut

nothing

or you can try uninstall with revo

then reboot

clean registry and reinstall

right click run as admin

Damn, I'll try Revo, and clean again. By the way, I already did the clean/uninstall routine, even deleted what remained in the registry manually when everything else failed. I don't have Revo (yet) but I do have Ccleaner and JV16.

Will let you guys know what happened...

well,i don't think Tune Up not compatible with Win 7

installed in my friend laptop and no error happen

gonna report if something happen

Trouble Shooting Compatibility isn't necessarily if it is designed to be compatible or not.. Especially in differences between Home Editions and Ultimate editions.. and changes to LSP and others settings which can alter how some programs install and run.. as well as may be other things relative to the hardware setup itself.. When you run this check it can trigger the app to run as an administrator.. depending on what resources it is trying to access, and where they are... It can actually repair th functionality by allowing the Run as Administrator to be triggered and allowing the application permissions.. Some programs will actually break normal operation when this is done and the settings have to be reverted.. and go back.. Even Winamp which states it is Windows 7 Compatible runs best when Compatibility for Vista SP2 is applied.. and you don't have to run it as Admin.. unless in the admin account.. even at that the settings will allow it run on its own..

The reason I suggested it was for it to be tried on the particular system in question.. as it will allow you to check it out before applying them.. and see if it helps in anyway... BUT yeah even basic installation settings .. One more thing.. when you run install.. for some programs I have seen where an application will fail or run oddly if you right-click and Run the installer as Admin.. where if you allow to run by itself and trigger the UAC window on its own it will install correctly.. seems odd but tried and tested.. time after time I have seen this occur.. Not for sure why or what .. that would be getting into the installer settings and possibly even others.. from the original dev.. ( seen this scenario flipped as well )

Nah it didn't work. Revo doesn't do anything spectacular by the way. It uninstalls from the uninstaller than it uses the Windows Install Clean Up logs to search for remains. jv16 does it better. But nonetheless I tried it... just to see TuneUp crash the first damn time I closed the window. By the way, this is a silent crash, for the normal user... you don't see anything at all. You have to open a process manager like procexp and see that the resident service quits together with the Integrator, resulting in those entries in the Event Viewer. But the user does not get any error messages at all.

Restarting a Integrator instance will again start the service.

You bet I'm tired of troubleshooting this unessential app. I sent 2 emails to support. Hope they'll manage to see what's going wrong.

unknownasphyxiated

Nah it didn't work. Revo doesn't do anything spectacular by the way. It uninstalls from the uninstaller than it uses the Windows Install Clean Up logs to search for remains. jv16 does it better. But nonetheless I tried it... just to see TuneUp crash the first damn time I closed the window. By the way, this is a silent crash, for the normal user... you don't see anything at all. You have to open a process manager like procexp and see that the resident service quits together with the Integrator, resulting in those entries in the Event Viewer. But the user does not get any error messages at all.

Restarting a Integrator instance will again start the service.

You bet I'm tired of troubleshooting this unessential app. I sent 2 emails to support. Hope they'll manage to see what's going wrong.

hope you can post here if you get the solution

dunno what happen but i think the problem come from your OS

tried every possible way to make it crash but nothing happen

even on my friend's laptop which use Tune Up from version 2009 doesn't have this problem, he use XP

i upgrade it till the latest version, 3 times being asked for serial before i use the method posted here "How To Prevent TuneUp Utilities From Calling Home"

Yeah I'll post the eventual solution here. Most probably a Windows or TuneUp update will solve the issue silently without me even realizing it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my OS settings or the other services/apps that run in the background, like Kaspersky or PDAgent. Even Corel's Protexis PsiService or Avid's audio/MIDI stuff could be the cause.

But for the moment, I decided I lost too much time on the issue. I won't bother much with this as a clean install is coming soon when SP1 is released. I'd do a fresh install more often, but I have big apps and some audio VSTs that have 50+ GB sample libraries on DVDs that take ages to install. Only thinking about spending that much time just installing stuff makes me lose my appetite.

unknownasphyxiated

Yeah I'll post the eventual solution here. Most probably a Windows or TuneUp update will solve the issue silently without me even realizing it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my OS settings or the other services/apps that run in the background, like Kaspersky or PDAgent. Even Corel's Protexis PsiService or Avid's audio/MIDI stuff could be the cause.

But for the moment, I decided I lost too much time on the issue. I won't bother much with this as a clean install is coming soon when SP1 is released. I'd do a fresh install more often, but I have big apps and some audio VSTs that have 50+ GB sample libraries on DVDs that take ages to install. Only thinking about spending that much time just installing stuff makes me lose my appetite.

don't think kaspersky because my friend use KIS 2011 cf2 :frusty:

waiting for the solution :lol:

Small update: received mail from Support:

Response Nr. 1:

Dear Customer,

thank you for your inquiry.

We need a dump file of the crash.

http://download.tune...oreMiniDump.reg

Please donwload this tool and run it , when the crash occurs, this tool

creates a dumpf file on your computer.

Folder: C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/AppData/Roaming/TuneUp Software/TuneUp

Utilities/CrashDumps

Note!: You need to see hidden files and folders on your system.

Please attach the dump file to your reply.

Thank you

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by email.

To avoid delays in processing your request, please do not change the subject

field of your email, and use the reply function in your email program.

Best regards,

Daniel Takahashi - Schwarz

Software Support

TuneUp Distribution GmbH

Rheinstrasse 97

64295 Darmstadt

Germany

The reg file supplied doesn't work though... it doesn't create the dump. As it has been days since I told them about it and they didn't reply, it seems this is the way their Support works, you will have to wait for weeks for a reply. So don't buy it... such Support does not deserve that you spend money on it.

Will be back with further developments, if it's the case...

So I got another mail... and yes, it took them a few days to give such an answer:

Response Nr. 2

Dear Customer,

thank you for your inquiry.

Is it maybe possible to sent us a copy of the eventlog and also a msinfo32 ?

You can observe the professionalism of the content. Now imagine you are an average user. Did you even know what those "eventlog and msinfo32" things are? How about exporting the content from them?

I sent them the stuff with the mention that it can only be used for TuneUp debug. No personal info was inside it... but I would have liked to not send those. I also removed the address info from the mail since it is the same as in the 1st response.

In the true spirit of a South-American telenovela, please stand by for the 3rd episode...

• 3 months later...

By the way, this saga still continues, I'm still exchanging emails with support; they are so incompetent it's hard to describe, suggesting same steps again and again.

Also, there's a very large distance between emails (more than a month sometimes), only to get another mail with STUPID instructions. I'll just keep on going until I reach a conclusion.

you can get get ice water anywhere but you don't anyways get it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Latest episode in the TuneUp telenovela, after they sent me non-functional tools together with wrong information for the 6th time in a row, I responded:

Dear Support,

I'm giving up on this. Again, the tool did not found any dumps, again I did search on all HDD for "crashdumps", again there are no such folder or files. You can't get your application to properly create a dump in MONTHS?!? I'm just uninstalling this and will use CCleaner/JV16 only when needed.

The very large time intervals between emails (few weeks) and the incompetence is just too much. I have been patient on this matter for months with no results. Do I have to mention that you don't even know exactly what your apps do?

Hopefully you guys can get your stuff together and start acting like professionals.

• 5 months later...

I think it is fair that I mention this crash was solved - by a Windows or TuneUP update, dunno.

I never used this app before and I started using it maybe a month ago when that license giveaway was active recently.

Must say that I'm very pleased with it and how it works.

I'm still using TuneUp 2010. With legal license.

I never used this app before and I started using it maybe a month ago when that license giveaway was active recently.

Must say that I'm very pleased with it and how it works.

Yeah, it was a constant part of my "arsenal" for the last 5 years or so, I think. The customer support experience was horrifying though. I had the "pleasure" to work with some guys that kept on telling me the same template-born useless data and couldn't do anything meaningful for a whole year, I think. Not to mention they respond to emails (even those not requiring technical expertise or analysis) after 2-6 weeks or so.

Archived