Windows 7 installing new usb devices very slow?

dcbakkk

I'm find an issue on some machines I administer where, upon plugging in a USB device, Windows takes forever 'searching preconfigured driver folders' for the device driver. This includes USB disks, which I would imaging should be quite fast. I have configured the machines not to use Windows Update to look for the drivers, which sped things up on some machines, but it still seems to be taking way too long to recognise a simple USB device. Once installed, re-plugging the same device into the same USB port is very fast, but plugging it into a different port on the same machine gets the same issue. The C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore directory weighs in at almost 1 GB - not too much bigger than a clean install on that machine type (830 MB) (a clean windows install on this hardware installs devices super-fast).

Any ideas/pointers?

764866_12920669314D8r.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1- before unplugging anything- safely remove hardware

Hardware installing, disabled update, might be quicker, but since some of update components (like framework) missing it could be made worse

1- before unplugging anything- safely remove hardware

Hardware installing, disabled update, might be quicker, but since some of update components (like framework) missing it could be made worse

Thanks ,but the situation is the same...

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem. My Win7 x64 install was humming along fine for almost 18 months when suddenly I noticed that new USB devices were taking minutes to install. This was true for flash drives, card readers, USB hard drives, etc. I even uninstalled the ALL drivers for unattached devices via device manager (using the environment variable trick) and the issue persisted.

Finally, I re-installed the latest INF/Chipset drivers for my motherboard as well as the USB drivers (in my case, they were USB 3.0 drivers although all of my issues were via my USB 2.0 ports). This immediately fixed the problem. I was holding my breath thinking it might break again after I rebooted but everything is still working perfectly. I hope this helps as I was unable to find this solution after days of searching online.

Archived