Traffic Limiter

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

Hey Readers,

Sorry to ask but what is a good program for traffic limiting?

I used to use NetLimiter 2, and now that the new version 3, is out, I tried that, but hte version I have, the crack/serial doesn't properly work.

So I was thinking if anyone could help me out on that or recommend a different program that does the same, as I'm mainly only limiting 2 programs and don'tuse any other features from Netlimiter.

Thanks.

Oh yeah, using Win7 64-bit.

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out NetBalancer on this page.. http://seriousbit.com/

Found this on Cnet.. completely free edition.. Besides this I would go with cFos.. All others I have found are actually going to cost.. and be quite robust compared to what your doing.. I have several that all do different things in archive.. but some of them get to be a little more than what you need...

Direct Link to Free Version as its seems to be a little odd .. plus I got a server error.. LOL This worked though..

Site: http://seriousbit.com/
Code: download?file=NetBalancerFreeSetup.exe

Sharecoded JIC..

SacredCultivator

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

@henz: That's actualyl what I ended up doing.

Seems that V3, the patch works for 32bit only and not 64-bit.

@Lite: Tested that one as well.

@heath28: As for NetBalancer, checked it out, but didn't quite like it.

I guess I've just grown too accustomed to using NetLimiter.

But definitely appreciate the feedback on this issue ^^

Take a look at DUMeter.

isnt this just a bandwith monitoring usage soft, cfos have this already and i believe cfos can do also traffic limiter

I have the same problem, I'm a big fan of NetLimiter2 but it doesn't support Windows7 and I use x64 which makes matter worse. I been looking for a viable alternative but so far I found none as good and easy as netlimiter :(

Edit: I found this link for NetLimiter3, I don't know whether it will work in x64 or not and I can't test it till I get home but I thought I'd post it here in case you wanted to try it.

It's on Hotfile.com and the rest is dl/66894183/c1d9d5a/NetLimiterPro3.0.0.10x32x64.rar.html

SacredCultivator

^I'll give it a shot on my Laptop and report back if it works.

EDIT:

Nope doens't work on 64-bit.

Same one that I had actually =P

It works for 32-bit.

^I'll give it a shot on my Laptop and report back if it works.

EDIT:

Nope doens't work on 64-bit.

Same one that I had actually =P

It works for 32-bit.

That sucks :(

Well, if you happen to find a working solution I'd appreciate it you'd lemme know.

@Longherin - The one I linked to above.. that Sacred sad she didn't like is actually made to work on 64 Bit systems and allows you to traffic shape up to 5 programs or free.. Really though if you want good traffic shaping I would use cFos.. much better for system wide applications..

SacredCultivator

@heath28m: For the record, He* =P, anyway, I was never too sure with cFos. If it does have a traffic shaper, then I'm all up for trying it. As I always thought of it as just re-priortizing programs that use bandwidth and sorts it by what's being used the most.

Didn't know if you could actually limit it.

@heath28m: For the record, He* =P, anyway, I was never too sure with cFos. If it does have a traffic shaper, then I'm all up for trying it. As I always thought of it as just re-priortizing programs that use bandwidth and sorts it by what's being used the most.

Didn't know if you could actually limit it.

Well actually your right.. I am not using the most current 6.0 version.. but 5 .. will allow you to limit the bandwidth and do budgeting for the whole connection.. and your right on prioritizing it.. It actually will ramp the bandwidth back up when nothing else is being used and back down when something else with higher priority is.. So your not actually wrong about that and is probably an oversight in your needs, on my behalf.. I think with cFos the only way to do that would be to limit a certain connection.. ( like if you have a connection via LAN and one Wireless ) and then use a little program to bind the program to that..

In fact I am not too sure rather NetBalancer that I suggested above does that or not.. seemed like it did.. but I have slept since then.. and still half awake.. LOL.. Odd I have an old version of NL too.. I mean REALLY old.. I think its 2... not for sure but I have never used it.. becauee I was like.. ' OMG.. I am slow enough already.. ' LOL I also have an old version of Bandwidth Controller Enterprise Server... but I have no idea what version just now..

EDIT: I am curious about why you want/need to limit just a few applications from ever exceeding a certain bandwidth usage.. if you care to explain.. Personally I am thinking that there may be another way.. or a better solution..

@Longherin - The one I linked to above.. that Sacred sad she didn't like is actually made to work on 64 Bit systems and allows you to traffic shape up to 5 programs or free.. Really though if you want good traffic shaping I would use cFos.. much better for system wide applications..

I'm not entirely sure about what "traffic shaping" entails but I doubt that's what I'm looking for. My needs are ( think) pretty similar to Sacred's; I want to be able to manually limit the available bandwidth (up or down) for the entire computer, a single application or sub-process belonging to an application. And that's what NetLimiter does, and it even offers a remote administration and built-in firewall for who needs them.

SacredCultivator

^^Okay this is the part where you'll probably yell at me.

I use NetLimiter 2 to limit 2 Programs

- Share (Japanese P2P)

- BitComet (For DL'ing things from Public trackers)

It's not necessarily that I don't Seed torrents, I use uTorrent for anything that involves Private Trackers. But when it comes to Public Trackers, I switch over to BitComet, because I can limit the Upload rate to basicalyl 1KB so that uTorrent takes highest priority to seed the torrents.

Share, well, I honestly am not 100% sure how the program itself works (In respect to uploading a file / seeding it)

Cause even if I don't have anything downloading... it's sharing stuff, and so I limit that to 5KB, cause it seems anything lower than that causes it to not work at all.

So it's just 2 programs that I limit Upload speeds to.

And NetLimiter does just that and suits my needs.

I'm not entirely sure about what "traffic shaping" entails but I doubt that's what I'm looking for. My needs are ( think) pretty similar to Sacred's; I want to be able to manually limit the available bandwidth (up or down) for the entire computer, a single application or sub-process belonging to an application. And that's what NetLimiter does, and it even offers a remote administration and built-in firewall for who needs them.

Yeah cFos will limit overall.. and you can set scheduling.. and Budgeting limits... but as far as per program or sub process is concerned I haven't seen it... The privatization does this..Per Protocol.. per EXE.. per network connection..but there is not a fixed limit, like what your speaking off..per exe and subproces as in number... If will use what is alloted and available.. can work with a shared connection/bandwidth.. and always maintains it on a percentage regardless of what available..I like it for that factor.. I can use all of my available.. but a Torrent program will not be able to take too much bandwidth so I can also surf.. with the same speed I always have.. and watch listen to media without drop outs and interruptions..So on that note you may be better of with NetLimiter.. I actually went looking for some registry tweaks and found out some things about some Group Policies.. and others but nothing looked as though it was going to be as for specific usage..

^^Okay this is the part where you'll probably yell at me.

I use NetLimiter 2 to limit 2 Programs

- Share (Japanese P2P)

- BitComet (For DL'ing things from Public trackers)

It's not necessarily that I don't Seed torrents, I use uTorrent for anything that involves Private Trackers. But when it comes to Public Trackers, I switch over to BitComet, because I can limit the Upload rate to basicalyl 1KB so that uTorrent takes highest priority to seed the torrents.

Share, well, I honestly am not 100% sure how the program itself works (In respect to uploading a file / seeding it)

Cause even if I don't have anything downloading... it's sharing stuff, and so I limit that to 5KB, cause it seems anything lower than that causes it to not work at all.

So it's just 2 programs that I limit Upload speeds to.

And NetLimiter does just that and suits my needs.

No .. no yelling .. LOL.. When I shut something off.. or stop a torrent file.. that means stop.. I have seen what your talking about.. some of it is the program reaching out to peers, checking connections and with DHT its is going to keep available nodes alive.. or make new ones as connections are lost... But this will probably go on as long as you have a torrent in your Program of any kind.. or ave made a connection of any sort... pile that on top of traffic filtering like PeerBlock..and your getting quite a bit of resources usage sometimes.. ( probably can't really tell though sometimes ).

Have you tried making sure that all torrents have been stopped first? then deleted and removed when done? Or do you keep them all in your program and allow them to continue to share the files after.. or atleast available? - That will keep it going... Plus when verifying/connecting to the trackers that is more bandwidth as well... and have you tried just closing the program when done or does it continue.. ( should be resolved by hitting stop first.. and never using the pause button ) and have you ever had abrupt program termination.. Sometimes bandwidth can be consumed while the programs verify the files.. as well.. I would (if you don't have too many ) Empty all of the torrents out and clear out all user files for the programs.. and start fresh.... IMO... I think that this is going to happen to some extent because of the way they operate.. something you can't totally get around.. BUT.. it should not be excessive.. SO possibly clearing out those files cold clear any old entries or corruption.. that could be causing some of it..

Yeah.. I do to.. or I close it.. its more specific.. to the program itself.. and changeable on the go.. I still traffic shape just in case usage spikes because of other activities.. In some cases though I open PeerBlock and watch my traffic logging.. sometimes thousands of connections still come in unless you hit the stop.. Or the availability is logged as dead.. sometimes it take a minute.. running through Vidalia though.. when you hit the Stop there.. all gone.. :)

Actually while reading this and seeing my seedbox pumping out that Manchester United vs. Liverpool match (it was a great match btw) I had the upload speed adjusted (since already 7.3 GB uploaded vs the total download of 1.27 GB). It being a neutral torrent, means that I will have to seed it for 24 hours on that private tracker. But I had the rtorrent tracker adjusted to only seed 16kb/s now.

SacredCultivator

@fl0ppy: It doesn't matter of your connection, since the Seedbox is its own thing and your Internet Connection does not affect it. (To my knowledge)

@heath8m: Share isn't a torrent client. So it's not like if I stop / delete the downloaded files, all connections are cut. Only if I shutdown the program. But with the way it works, it runs pretty much 24/7 since I have many search queries.

@jalaffa: As for Per Torrent limiting, when I do that, it also limits the Download speed greatly on it. Which is why I don't use uTorrent as my only client. Cause if I did a limit per torrent, it'll stack up on upload speed.

Example:

If I have 10 Torrents downloading in uTorrent, and limit to 1KB, the DL is crippled, and that's already 10KB used.

Whereas if I use BitComet with those same 10 Torrents, I can use NetLimiter to only allow BitComet to use 1KB TOTAL for upload, instead of 10KB, so that spare "9KB" can go towards uTorrent.

Not toos ure if that makes sense.

I used to use NetLimiter 2, and now that the new version 3, is out, I tried that, but hte version I have, the crack/serial doesn't properly work.

NetLimiter Pro 3.0.0.10 Final x64 is just out with a fix that is reported to be working. ;)

NetLimiter Pro 3.0.0.10 Final x64 is just out with a fix that is reported to be working. ;)

Where is it exactly? Care to elaborate? 'Coz I been looking for it for a while now.

SacredCultivator

^Yes please, and hopefully it does properly work for 64-bit.

---

EDIT:

dcs18: THanks, it works! ^_^

Archived