The most pirated software in the world might just surprise you

Karlston

dpnvLZuYef6xLpgAsUYt3c-320-80.jpg

(Image credit: Pixabay)

Research looking into the most pirated software in the UK has found that creative solutions are the most likely to be downloaded illegally. However, even relatively cheap tools, like WinRAR, have still proved popular among pirates.

IT disposal firm Computer Disposal Limited (CDL) analyzed Google search data by matching hundreds of software names to the terms “torrent” and “download free” in order to discover which applications are most commonly being pirated.

CDL found that Adobe software made up the majority of the top 20 most downloaded solutions in the UK, with only two creative platforms in the top 20 not developed by Adobe. This isn’t all that surprising given that Adobe software can be expensive.

A pirate's life for me

What is a little unexpected is that when CDL repeated their investigation by looking at worldwide search data, WinRAR came out on top. That’s right, the humble data compression tool that comes with a 40-day free trial that seems to continue indefinitely is apparently the most pirated piece of software in the world.

WinRAR taking the top spot was not the only unusual finding to come out of CDL’s research. Free tools, including Malwarebytes and Kaspersky Security Cloud, also scored highly when paired with piracy-related terms. The other irony is that many pirated versions of legitimate software may come packaged with malware, so instead of protecting your device, that illegal download may be leaving you vulnerable to future cyberattacks.

Looking at the list of pirated software, it’s clear that price is often a factor. However, even cheap or free tools can’t escape the piracy treatment. Perhaps, some individuals have simply gotten used to taking the illegitimate route to acquire their favorite software, regardless of the security risk involved.

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nuclear Fallout

WINZIP????

There USED to be times when Winzip ruled the world.

Then came Winrar, and everything changed!!!

The developers of WinRAR,  One of whom I personally know, gave up a long time ago on this software.

They know this, but they opted for a donation, if possible.

So please go there and make a small donation, they will be happy about it ☺️

Unbelievable 😀

will have passed about 20 or 25 years.... when i go to high school i remember i have payed a license of winzip. If i remember it's a license name and his code. As I got older then I lost everything....i have vague memories of closing my email address or somethings similar and could not retrieve it.

Maybe my current rarreg.key dates back to a few years later and it's working also at today.........

zanderthunder

my WinRAR key which are used from version 4, still works in version 6 (the very latest one). and the best part, no online activation required.

What fascinates me the most about the Adobe case is that the vast majority of folks who pirate Adobe stuff are after Photoshop, and all they want are a small set of Photoshop features that Adobe already offers for free in the form of a different software called Photoshop Express. Either some miscommunication between Adobe and users is at work here, or people resort to the pirated version of Photoshop because the paid version has a superior and more intuitive UI. Probably tutorials too.

I don't know if pros do pirate adobe stuff as well but if they do, man that'd be really, really cheap of them. Even if I loathe the whole subscription thing, and the sabotaging of the old perpetually licensed products on newer versions of operating systems.

well i'm too old. i used pkunzip then i wagely remember a dos version of rar. however back then .zip was pretty much standard.

used winrar until the early version of 7zip came but it had no support for winrar recovery packaged files so i stayed switched back to winrar.

let me say later versions of 7zip may handle the recovery packaged files but i prefer to run winrar since it works.

35 minutes ago, BimBamSmash said:

What fascinates me the most about the Adobe case is that the vast majority of folks who pirate Adobe stuff are after Photoshop, and all they want are a small set of Photoshop features that Adobe already offers for free in the form of a different software called Photoshop Express. Either some miscommunication between Adobe and users is at work here, or people resort to the pirated version of Photoshop because the paid version has a superior and more intuitive UI. Probably tutorials too.

I don't know if pros do pirate adobe stuff as well but if they do, man that'd be really, really cheap of them. Even if I loathe the whole subscription thing, and the sabotaging of the old perpetually licensed produ.cts on newer versions of operating systems.

i agree adobe has clearly missed the mark on Photoshop Express. then again there is possibly 1.000 on how to's on youtube.

i guess independent artists run pirated software until they doesn't struggle any more. then there is benefits to subscribe to it.

if microsoft had office 365 only with no storage plans for 15 usd a year i'm certainly the ones who can afford it will pay for it.

1 hour ago, BimBamSmash said:

I don't know if pros do pirate adobe stuff as well but if they do, man that'd be really, really cheap of them. Even if I loathe the whole subscription thing, and the sabotaging of the old perpetually licensed products on newer versions of operating systems.

Could it be simply that using the latest (pirated) version is a lot more 'cool' than using an old version, even if the used features have been there (for free) for a while. Not speaking about fixes.

As the above post is also about office365; was using office2003 simply because it had what was needed and the extra features were of no use for me.

The opposite situation here.

Winrar was installed by default to deal with archives/iso files years ago, then moved to 7-zip. Winrar is kept in case in a remote folder, not in use anymore.

Archived