Winbindex - Download individual binaries (exe, dll, sys) from Microsoft

zoran

We know how to download an ISO. Michael Maltsev has now created the possibility to provide this for individual files. So you can download a certain (at the moment) dll, exe or sys file of different versions without the whole ISO.

He explained his motivation for this in a post. He had a research project by finding a bug Microsoft fixed in one of the drivers.

I indexed all Windows files which appear in Windows update packages, and created a website which allows to quickly view information about the files and download some of them from Microsoft servers. The files that can be downloaded are executable files (currently exe, dll and sys files). Read on for further information.

winbindex-001.jpgwinbindex-002.jpg

“I had to find out which update had fixed the bug. I knew the bug existed on an unpatched RTM build and was fixed on a fully patched system. All I needed was the dozens of file versions of this driver, so I could look at them manually until I found the version that fixed the bug. ”

By not finding a place to download individual files to check them, he got the idea from Winbindex. Here you can enter a specific file. Example here is the explorer.exe. All possible (and existing) files are displayed. These can be displayed directly as an update (KB version), as file information, or downloaded directly from MS.

So if, for whatever reason, you only need a single dll or other file, it is very interesting. The file is then downloaded as a salad of numbers and letters with the ending * .blob. You only have to rename it. We also know from the UUP side when it comes to preview updates. The contribution itself is also worth reading.

Winbindex-Website.png

Motivation

During a recent research project, I had to track down a bug that Microsoft fixed in one of the drivers. I needed to find out which update fixed the bug. I knew that the bug exists on an unpatched RTM build, and is fixed on a fully patched system. All I needed was the dozens of file versions of that driver, so that I could look at them manually until I find the version that introduced the fix. Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge there was no place where one could get just these dozens of files without downloading extra GBs of data, be it ISOs or update packages. While searching for the simplest solution, these are the options I considered:

1. Install an unpatched RTM build with automatic updates disabled, and install each update manually. Get the driver file after each installed update. A more efficient option would be to do a binary search, installing the middle update first, and then continuing with the relevant half of the updates depending on whether that update fixed the bug.
  2. Extract each version of the file from a Windows package, such as an update package that can be download from the Microsoft Update Catalog or an archive from the Unified Update Platform.
  3. Look for the driver files on the internet. There are various fishy “dll fixer” websites that claim to provide versions of system files. Unfortunately, not only that these websites are mostly loaded with ads and the files are sometimes wrapped with a suspicious exe, they also don’t provide any variety of versions for a given file, usually having only one, seemingly randomly selected version. There are also potentially useful services like VirusTotal, but I didn’t find any such service which allows to freely download the files.

The Result:

After building the index of files, I created a simple website which displays the data in a table. Here it is: Winbindex - the Windows Binaries Index

All the files that were found in the update packages are listed, but currently only exe, dll and sys files have download links, except for those that weren’t submitted to VirusTotal.

Click Link: https://m417z.com/winbindex/

Homepage: https://m417z.com/Introducing-Winbindex-the-Windows-Binaries-Index/

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know Windows 10 unstable crap so we searched for solutions on the web. We didn't have better idea than others because their program "suspicious". Ours copy paste better than them. No we provide downloading dll files for the public that other do for years but our solution is free.

source rough Machine translation 😝

FWIW, have just posted a Guide/Review here...

Archived