Ways to Stay Calm and Relax During Quarantine

Karlston

Ways to Stay Calm and Relax During Quarantine

It's hard to keep calm and carry on when we've entered not-losing-your-mind territory. Here are a few ideas and things to help you cope.
Gear-Keep-Calm-1162712148.jpg
Photograph: Getty Images 

I like to think of myself as a well-rounded anxious person. I have situational anxiety—like with public speaking and flying—as well as general anxiety about everything else. What if the elevator I’m in breaks down? What if the subway gets stuck underground? What if the giant rock we’re living on decides to suddenly spin out into the depths of space?

Even if you aren’t anxious in normal circumstances, the pandemic we’re living in is not normal. Staying indoors for such a long time, away from family and friends, and only hearing bad news week after week can take a toll on the mind. I've curated some suggestions to help you feel some semblance of calm during this difficult time. Note: These are not meant to treat serious anxiety disorders—that should be discussed with your doctor or therapist.

If you're more in need of traditional self-care, we've got you covered with our Ultimate Quarantine Self-Care Guide, and our manuals on How to Cut and How to Dye Your Hair at home. We also have a handpicked selection of gadgets under $20 the WIRED Gear team loves. Hopefully, they keep you entertained.

Create a Sanctuary

While it might be especially obvious right now, your surroundings affect your mood. If I'm feeling bad about myself or the world and I let my apartment get messy, it only amplifies those emotions and makes me feel more overwhelmed. No matter how much you meditate, exercise, or pick up a new hobby, if your sink is full of dirty dishes and you're stepping over last week's clothes to get to bed, you aren't setting yourself up for much success.

Start with a clean state and then fill your space with things that make you calm just by looking at them. For me, that’s candles, plants, crystals, and cozy blankets (plus my two cats).

Add Fresh Scents

Candles are especially calming to look at, and scented candles can help with your overall mood. Here are some of my favorites.

Oil diffusers are another great way to turn your home into a sanctuary, and you won't have to worry about an open flame. (Just be careful if you have pets.) Senior associate editor Julian Chokkattu says that watching a stream of mist shoot out of MUJI's diffuser is "as calming as the scents it brings to the room." Its design is simple, and it's easy to use, plus it lights up for added effect. Most diffusers are designed similarly, some with faux wood and modern shapes if that's more your style.

Diffusers are generally simple to operate. Pour water in the main chamber, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, then choose the desired run time. MUJI's can run up to three hours, and its whirs aren't very audible. It's recommended for spaces around 100 to 133 square feet, but the Japanese brand has a larger version for bigger rooms.

Let Greenery Grow

Plants can transform any living space, making it feel like your own oasis. I tend to lean toward the artificial kind, eliminating my unwavering ability to kill plants with even the lowest amount of maintenance. Target and West Elm have a lot of great faux options.

If you want the real deal, Lula's Garden has excellent succulents that are easy to take care of, including this Glow Garden that I am currently attempting to keep alive. Everything comes in a pretty gift box that doubles as a planter, so you don't have to repot them until they grow out of it; they also come with plastic droppers for easy watering.

The Sill also has a beautiful selection, including this snake plant that is easy for beginner plant parents. If you have pets and aren't sure what plants you can have around them, the company has a pet-friendly subscription box, too.

Learn to Knit
Gear-Quarantine-Knitting-Kit-2-SOURCE-Sh
Photograph: Shit That I Knit

Now is a good time to pick up a hobby. That doesn't mean you need to be an expert overnight. Take it slow. Hobbies should be fun, not stressful. I've found knitting to be relaxing (and it takes up a lot of time), perfect for the present moment. I’m not sure if the rectangle I’m knitting will turn into anything wearable, but the repetitive motions have kept my mind occupied and my hands off my phone.

It’s easier to learn than it might seem. All you need to get started is yarn, knitting needles, and a darning needle to sew completed projects together. Plus your phone or TV to watch how-to videos on YouTube. There’s are a ton of good tutorials on the web. I’ve found Kristen Mangus of GoodKnit Kisses to be an exceptional guide.

The company Shit That I Knit also has Quarantine Knitting Kits that make jumping in really simple when you don’t know where to begin. Each kit includes 100 percent merino wool yarn in beautiful colors and all the tools you need, plus access to a private Facebook group and weekly Zoom classes. It’s pricey, but given that it’s a small business with every member of the team acting as a fulfillment center (they’re putting together kits and shipping within two days), it might be justified if you can afford it.

Color Outside the Lines

Creating art is soothing and rewarding, but it can be daunting when you don't feel like an artist, and expensive if you need supplies. No one expects you to emerge from quarantine as the next Jean-Michel Basquiat, but if you want to get out some creative energy, consider coloring to reduce stress.

There are adult coloring books that might appeal to how you're feeling right now. Might I suggest coloring in curse words? Or how about This Annoying Life, which features frustrating scenes we can all surely relate to, like going to get ice only to find the trays empty.

Write It Down

If coloring in a picture of the F-word doesn't do it for you, try writing it down instead. There are many ways you can go about journaling. You can write about what happened in a day, try gratitude journaling to remind yourself about the good things in your life, write poems or short stories, or jot down profanities for five entire pages—whatever it is, journaling can really help you deal with difficult days.

It's easy enough to start a digital journal, but I recommend pen and paper. Miquelrius notebooks are my favorite for everything from journaling to to-do lists because the paper is so delightfully soft.

Sip Some Tea
Gear-Sips-by-subscription-box-SOURCE-Sip
Photograph: Sips By

I set my coffee pot on a timer so the smell gets me out of bed in the morning, because coffee is my lifeline. My brain has associated it with getting my day started and therefore I can never be without it. Tea, on the other hand, I associate with relaxing at the end of the day, maybe while curled up in a robe or soaking in a warm bath. So when I brew myself a cup, I know it's time to wind down.

But being a more prolific coffee drinker, I never know what tea to get. That’s where a Sips By subscription comes in. First, you take a quiz to figure out the types of tea you might be interested in—pick your favorite flavor profiles, select caffeinated or caffeine-free, loose leaves or bagged—and then you'll receive a curated selection of four teas (I chose bagged tea and got four bags of each, equaling about 16 cups altogether). If you choose loose leaves, you'll get filters as well.

After trying them, you can rate the teas so the next month's box will be more in line with your preferences. It's not the best option for experienced tea lovers, but now's a good time to try out some calming brews if you haven't before.

Try an Epsom Salt Bath

There is nothing else that makes me feel as good as a warm bath. If everyone took two baths a day, I'm pretty sure we'd achieve world peace.

If you're feeling overwhelmed and have a bathtub, fill it with warm water and Epsom salts (Dr. Teal's with lavender is my favorite). Light some candles and pour yourself a glass of wine or cup of tea. Now close your eyes and try to turn your brain off for a few minutes.

Work Out

Some people work out to relieve stress and feel calm. I am not one of those people, but I do take their word for it. WIRED senior writer Adrienne So put together a guide on How to Work Out From Home that will help even the laziest and out of shape of us (me) to get moving.

If working out sounds more stress-inducing than stress-relieving, but you still want to stay somewhat active, try yoga. It keeps me centered, focused, and melts away my stress. And while some practices are harder than others, yoga helps build muscle. I use a half-inch thick mat that helps with my back pain, but any mat or comfortable spot in your home will do. If you need some assistance, Yoga With Adriene is my favorite YouTube channel for practicing at home.

Clear Your Mind

Meditation is an extremely beneficial tool to feel calm. We are constantly plugged-in with what's going on in the world, and right now it's weighing on us. Setting aside time to meditate, with your phone on silent, will give you at least a few minutes of peace.

All you need to effectively meditate is yourself and a quiet place. But it can be hard to turn off your thoughts and focus on the task at hand, so there are tools to help you get started. The Headspace app (available on iOS and Android) has an easy-to-follow beginner's course and a decent free library of guided meditations, plus more if you subscribe. Unplug (also available on iOS and Android) doesn't have a free version, but there is a seven-day trial. Both have super short courses, which are perfect for when you're in desperate need of a cooldown.

I've been using the Core Meditation Trainer, which is a small device that uses vibrations to help focus your mind and breath as its connected app walks you through practices. (The app also analyzes your practices and heart rate to show your improvement in reaching calm and focus levels over time.) I especially like the vibrations that sync to your breath as you breathe in and out along with the teacher's cues. Unfortunately, it's expensive at $169, especially for an activity that doesn't really need accessories.

Use a Weighted Blanket
Gear-Yaasa-weighted-blanket-SOURCE-Yaasa
Photograph: Yaasa

When all else fails, crawl into bed and pull 20 or so pounds over your body and breathe. Scream into your pillow if necessary.

I've been testing weighted blankets (our full guide is on the way), but so far the Yaasa ($249) has been a godsend. It feels sufficiently weighty, even compared to blankets I tested that weigh more, and because it's open-knit it doesn't get as hot underneath. It's also just plain pretty to have out. We also like the Casper Weighted Blanket ($161) if you're looking for a slightly more affordable option.

WIRED is providing free access to stories about public health and how to protect yourself during the coronavirus pandemic. Sign up for our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the latest updates, and subscribe to support our journalism.

Source: Ways to Stay Calm and Relax During Quarantine (Wired)

• Views 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived