Google Public DNS Introduced

jalaffa

Thanks for all the info folks....i really appreciate it. My questions is this, and please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question...if time warner is my provider, and is my dns server provider, but i use opendns or google as i am as of late(i love trying new tech stuff...i think im addicted...lol)...why do we have to pay for internet service at all...if we are using an open source dns server? i was almost to scared to ask this out of fear of revealing my ignorance, so please don't make fun of me to bad...lol. im learning something new every day, and thats a good thing i think. thanks again. peace :)

Well you pay for the internet service itself. The ISP is obligated to provide dns servers else they would not be able to call themselves an ISP. Why we choose to use a free DNS such as OpenDNS is because they have the biggest most advanced DNS cache in the world and offer top quality features like botnet protection etc. It's just a choice. Alot of the times your ISP dns servers will query other dns caches ever so often to update their own records but OpenDNS is always the fastest to be up to date.

• Replies 33
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you have to realize that DNS and ISP are different.. think of DNS being a thing that harvest site names, locations and addresses.. while this may seem connected to telling your PC where to look for connections.. it is but not like you may think.. Because of the fact that someone still has to provide the Internet service for you to connect.. So while you may have the car.. and can program the location in GPS you may not have a road to get there..

EDIT: one more note too is that its like a BIG router.. routing traffic here and there using things recognizable by human interface.. in other words a .com is a 'nick name' of sorts.. so this processed and linked to a real address.. which is tracked recorded and used through a DNS..

( Starting to get detailed hope that gets it before I go on for paragraphs.. )

thank you for the fast reply. it helped to clarify. peace :)

The ISP is comparable to the postal service, it includes the trucks, the postmen, pretty much everything.

A DNS is comparable to a distributing center, where the postcards/packets are labeled and stuff.

(I know it's not a proper analogy, but it'll help him understand nevertheless)

@moneyfarmer:

If you want free internet connection, try using a wireless connection.

You must have a neighborhood full of wireless connections though ^_^

No joke.. you would be surprised how many places you can walk right into the home networks of people.. not even trying.. be all up in the router.. no passwords, no encryption nothing... I could walk in to any random neighborhood and look like a Security Professional.. and PWN those networks.. But I had rather be the one just showing people how to configure their router not just hook it up.. ( and people act surprised when something goes wrong ) I mean look at all the money spent to techs when things like this go wrong... ridiculous. ( I mean its like okay lets pull up and grab some shared media.. LOL )

( oh and lets not forget how many people either give out the access point encryption key..and leave it open so their friends can use it..)

• Administrator

Speakin of wireless, I don't exactly know about it, but one of my friend had mentioned to use WPA for it.

Atleast.. I mean like that is the first step and never use the symbols they give you as a default encryption key.. make your own.. that way it can't be harvested off the bottom of some models.. admin passwords.. and accounts need to be changed.. always.. If WPA gets hacked.. you then still have the password or key.. for the router/device. Keeps settings from being changed.. and you having to reset your device and start all over.. and people from stealing your bandwidth..

I use WPA2-Personal security with AES encryption. As far as I know, that's the best protection right now for personal wireless networks.

I was at my friend's apartment this weekend. There were 17 wireless networks showing up on my computer. 4 of them were unsecured, about 11 had WEP (not too secure because it has been cracked now), and about 2 had WPA.

Archived