Microsoft updates not responsible for "Black Screen of Death"

DKT27

• Administrator

Microsoft: November security updates are fine

Microsoft said Tuesday that its investigation has turned up no evidence that anything in its November security updates should be causing users to encounter a so-called "black screen of death."

"Microsoft has investigated reports that its November security updates made changes to permissions in the registry that that are resulting in system issues for some customers," Microsoft security response communications lead Christopher Budd said in a statement. "The company has found those reports to be inaccurate and our comprehensive investigation has shown that none of the recently released updates are related to the behavior described in the reports."

Microsoft said it was not contacted by British security firm Prevx before that company went public with its claims. Microsoft said it has reached out to them to let them know the results of its investigation.

The company said on Monday that it would look into the matter, but issued an update later in the day saying it could not verify any issues.

"Our support organization is also not seeing this as an issue," Budd said on Tuesday. "The claims also do not match any known issues that have been documented in the security bulletins or (knowledge base) articles.

Update, 3:15 p.m. PT: Prevx posted an updated blog saying that it has done additional testing.

"Having narrowed down a specific trigger for this condition we've done quite a bit of testing and re-testing on the recent Windows patches," the comapny said. "Since more specifically narrowing down the cause we have been able to exonerate these patches from being a contributory factor."

The company also offered up a mea culpa to Redmond and said it also recommends users keep patching their systems promptly. "We apologize to Microsoft for any inconvenience our blog may have caused."

Source - CNET

• Replies 4
  • Views 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microsoft has denied claims that the November updates cause problems on Windows computers. According to Prevx, affected users reportedly only saw a "Black Screen of Death" after logging in

view.gif View: Original Article

Does this replace the BLUE screen of death or is this about the same? No words or letter I assume...

Does this replace the BLUE screen of death or is this about the same? No words or letter I assume...

:lmao: OMG an update for BSOD.. :lmao: .. LOL.. Black is sooo the new blue.. all da' rage dese dayz..( to be honest I do like that part better ) .. and there is whole part of seven which is dedicated to logging and diagnosing problems.. much more helpful than some of the old school ways of finding out and discovering issues.. I actually haven't had a BSOD on 7.. the only error I did have of this kind was a black screen with white text.. and it was when I was screwing around with the boot loader.. I haven't overloaded the system yet.. and usually when something like that happens it strips itself of all extras and doesn't crash..Kind of looks like NT when it does.. it will end programs before they really become much of a problem.. The new updates.. I don't know about yet.. I do have to update the other system though soon..

Archived