Another dumb block: MS induced “VMware Workstation Pro can’t run on Windows”

Karlston

Another dumb block: MS induced “VMware Workstation Pro can’t run on Windows”

I just heard about this from Office Watch, but checking around, it’s also described on Tenforums and on the VMWare blog.

When you install any of the recent cumulative updates for Win10 1903 (the third cumulative update for September, or any of the three cumulative updates in October, including the most recent one), Windows starts blocking older versions of VMWare.

VMWare-Pro-cant-run.png

The reason? MS removed VMWare from the Windows Application Compatibility database.

Apparently VMWare version 15.5 — the latest version — gets around the block. But if you aren’t willing to pay for the latest version, you’re up the ol’ creek.

The solution is so utterly trivial it boggles even my pre-boggled mind. You rename the program that runs VMWare, C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe. The renamed file passes the Application Compatibility block, and you’re free to use the old version. Stupid.

Does anybody know if there’s a reason why VMWare versions prior to 15.5 are prohibited from running on post-September-updated versions of Win10 1903?

Source: Another dumb block: MS induced “VMware Workstation Pro can’t run on Windows” (AskWoody - Woody Leonhard)

• Replies 1
  • Views 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had that problem today and the workaround solved the issue and VMWare works again. Do MS only blocked the name "vmware.exe"?

Archived