Microsoft Security Essentials – Week One

Lite

• Administrator

Now that Microsoft Security Essentials is generally available to consumers in 19 countries, we've had a chance to go over the data, and there are some very interesting results. Just in the first week we saw well over 1.5 million downloads of Microsoft Security Essentials, but the price (free to Windows users) is hard to beat!

Computers reporting detections up to October 6: almost four million detections on 535,752 distinct machines. The detections are eight times the machine count because many computers are infected with multiple threats.

Microsoft Security Essentials is available in 8 languages and 19 markets at RTM, which covers a lot of the PC using world. The geographic distribution of detections so far still closely follows the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta countries, and is ramping up in other countries that use the 8 languages.

msetelm3.png

Looking at counts of computers reporting detections by threat categories, we see that the order is different in each of the top three countries. Trojans are the top detected category in the US, China has lots of potentially unwanted software threats, and worms (particularly Conficker) are very active in Brazil. There are also many exploits being encountered in China, which may mean these PCs do not have the latest security updates.

msetelm4.png

Continues at source...

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

China is 1/6 of the world or even more, no wonder they get so many different hits. The bigger you are, the bigger is the chance of getting hit.

• Administrator

I cannot see my country in here. :P

Well it's expected, if you believe the reports, China is one of the countries from where malware come from, forget they being hit.

In-spite the problems I had when I installed MSSE for the first time, I will try it again.

Archived