There is Green Screen of Death in Windows 10 build 14997

Jordan

There is Green Screen of Death in Windows 10 build 14997

A new discovery was made regarding the recently leaked Windows 10 Build 14997. Instead of a blue screen of death (BSOD), it shows errors on a green background. Here's the story behind it.

Personally, I haven't faced any system faults or BSODs in Windows 10 build 14997. So, to see the BSOD in action, I will invoke it manually.

If you are a regular Winaero reader, you might remember that you can enable a System Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows 10.

It allows the user to initiate the Blue Screen of Death (BSoD). The option is present for debugging purposes and is not enabled by default.

You can enable this feature with a simple Registry tweak as described in the following article:

Enable Crash on Ctrl+Scroll Lock in Windows 10

To save my time, I will use my Winaero Tweaker freeware and enable the feature using it.

enable-crash-on-scroll-lock-600x393.png

Now, I need to disable the Automatic Restart option.

Press Win + R keys together on the keyboard. The Run dialog will appear. Type the following in the Run box:

SystemPropertiesAdvanced

Windows 10 run advacned system properties

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. Ensure that you have the Automatic memory dump enabled under the Write Debugging Information section.

Uncheck the Automatic Restart option.

windows-10-disable-automatic-restart

Finally, I can use the following hotkey sequence: Hold down the right CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice.

This will cause a user-initiated BSOD.

Notice how it has a green background color now:

Windows-10-green-bsod-600x465.png

According to Microsoft employee Rich Turner, the green BSOD (or GSOD) was implemented intentionally for Insider Preview builds

However, the leaked build is not from the Insider Preview branch. So, we guess the green error screen will be added to the next Insider Preview build. This change is interesting.

SOURCE

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my good intentions for 2017 is ; never face this screen , bleu or green............:D !

On 29/12/2016 at 4:31 PM, Pete 12 said:

One of my good intentions for 2017 is ; never face this screen , bleu or green............:D !

Me too:P

On 29/12/2016 at 9:01 PM, Pete 12 said:

green is considered as safe color and working properly (in terms of electric devices) :P microsft is playing with your mind :P

truefriend-cz

Windows have 4 colors (in old logo). And "Lets start..." screens have many colors change transformation on background.

Why have Dead screen one color? This is racism! :D I want RAINBOW on Dead screen!!! This is not racism and everyone not sad if Dead showing.

Archived