Windows 7 Tips

box

i got a question about the language packs in windows update and on m$ website of course.... what is the benefit of downloading 1 gig worth of language files.... what type of applications use these...? thanks in advance... ! :)

go this link You can Download Queue to use IDM

• Replies 108
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i got a question about the language packs in windows update and on m$ website of course.... what is the benefit of downloading 1 gig worth of language files.... what type of applications use these...? thanks in advance... ! :)

Language files are for people who use Windows but need additional languages. An example would be someone who share a single computer with another person who needs that specific language (English/Japanese). After installing different languages, you also need to add and configure the keyboard for that language.

The one reason for downloading additional language packs is if you install Windows frequently.

• 1 month later...

I have the same question about this.

These are language packs relative to your native language in Windows... Where you would change your regional settings or pick your language nothing more.. and all extra packs may be hidden and ignored... They are in Windows Update so that you can choose a language and download it on install if needed... or download it after install and change your settings.. Usually the installer or disc will be in your language depending on how and where you get it..

• 5 months later...

I have a registry hack to share that I use and find appealing.. I use the Drop Shadow.. This is found in several places around.. but I hate the Sprocket borders on Video files in Windows 7.. What I have found allows for no border, a drop shadow, white picture border, and sprocket.. There are two different places in the registry for each type of image or video...

Open RegEdit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image for images and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\video for video

Next you will change the value to:

0 = No Borders - stated to make thumbnails load faster..

1 = Drop Shadow

2 = Photo Border

3 = Sprocket

Next you can log off then back in, or Start Task Manager and right-click on Explorer.exe and End Process ( End Process Tree will kill everything which relied on explorer or components and you will need to log out which will require Ctrl+Alt+Del beforehand ) Next go to File > New Task and type n explorer.exe and press OK or Hit Enter.. This will restart Windows Explorer.. ( using this method as TSKILL EXPLORER command may not restart Explorer on some machines.. )

Anyway enjoy... :)

EDIT: You may also use a Registry file to Merge this in... in this format.. in Notepad and saved as a .reg file..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image]
"Treatment"=dword:00000000

You change the last number in the dword to match your selection and of course image for images video for video..Then Double-Click the file when ready to Merge...

• 2 months later...

I have an interesting tip to post that is open source and free. QTTabBar is a add-on for windows explorer which adds tabbed browsing for managing your files. Works on XP through windows 7. It is currently hosted at sourceforge here

I have used it for quite a few years now and can't live without it. Maybe someone else will find it useful.

I have an interesting tip to post that is open source and free. QTTabBar is a add-on for windows explorer which adds tabbed browsing for managing your files. Works on XP through windows 7. It is currently hosted at sourceforge here

I have used it for quite a few years now and can't live without it. Maybe someone else will find it useful.

Tried this about an month ago and it totally messed up my Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate.

Good to hear if it works on you,no go on me.

• 4 months later...

Archived