Windows 7 Tips

box

I tried the jofre's suggested tweaker... it seemed to do its tricks. Although I can't feel any significant difference in performance. Will also try Kotaxor's tweaker.

• Replies 108
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How to Disable Window Border's Blur in Windows 7

=================================

How To Instructions:

1. Extract downloaded ZIP file and run "Patch Blur x86.bat" file. If you are using x64 bit version, run "Patch Blur x64.bat" file.

2. It'll take a few seconds and you'll see window without blur.

3. If you want to put the blur back, run "Enable Blur.bat" file. And if again you decide to remove the blur, run "Disable Blur.bat" file.

4. Although you would not need to run "Unpatch Blur.bat" ever, but in case you want to restore the default system files back, run it.

Site: ziddu.com

Sharecode: /download/6597615/DisableBlureffect.zip.html

Just to be clear... what is this "window border's blur" ?

LOL.....You know the border of Windows Explorer, its blurish???

This will make it true transparent.

Try it, you can revert it back without problem.

I did, but finally revert it back to blurish...and now I know why windows 7 make it blur instead of full transparency as in the RC version.

There's another cool free tweaker for W7 that I like a lot. Recommend checking it out. It runs as a portable .exe so doesn't have to be installed to do and undo it's tweaks. It's available at http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista

Here's a screen shot of one of it's screens:

2009-09-20_122611.png

Just to be clear... what is this "window border's blur" ?

LOL.....You know the border of Windows Explorer, its blurish???

This will make it true transparent.

Try it, you can revert it back without problem.

I did, but finally revert it back to blurish...and now I know why windows 7 make it blur instead of full transparency as in the RC version.

Ah THAT blurry border :D Well, having it transparent would be quite ugly I agree. It's better the way it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,there !

Found the following Program that I can`t verify because I do not use Windows 7 yet :

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Windows 7 Manager v1.1.3 (x86 & x64) | 8.68 Mb

Windows 7 is the newest Operating System for home users and professionals alike. Windows 7 brings clarity to your world, so you can more safely and easily accomplish everyday tasks and instantly find what you want on your PC.

Windows 7 Manager is the powerful software tool to tweak and optimize your Windows 7, it bundles more than 30 different utilities in one and help your system faster and more stable, secure and personal.

Homepage: Yamicsoft Software

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7

Features and Benefits of Windows 7 Manager:

Information

Get detailed system and all hardware information on your system; help you find out the installation key of Windows, Office products; show all detailed information of running processes and threads on your machine; Windows 7 Manager offers 1-clicking cleans your system automatically.

Optimizer

Tweak your system to improve windows startup and shutdown speed; tweak your hardware to increase system speed and performance; Optimize Task Schedule to turn off unnecessary system tasks.

Cleaner

Find out which files or folders engross your disk space and shown with chart; Find and clean junk files to increase Hard Disk space; Duplicate Files Finder can scan your computer for files with the same size, name and modification time; Registry Cleaner can easily checks your registry and repair incorrectly linked registry entries, automatically remove invalid entries; Registry Defrag rebuilds and re-indexs your registry to reduce application response time and registry access time.

Customization

Control what is started on Windows startup; tune up Windows 7 boot menu; edit context menus of mouse Right-Clicking; customize system desktop, menus, toolbar and notifications settings; automatically change your desktop wallpaper on background.

Security

You can improve desktop, menus, Windows logon securities, and enable numerous hidden performance options of system, disable system updates and error reports; hide and restrict to access drives, specify which applications are not allowed to be executed on your computer; encrypt/decrypt and shred files, change the location of system folders; Privacy Protector can maintain your personal privacy by eliminating the tracks that you leave behind; create lots of randomization password once.

Network

Optimize your Internet connection speed, manage all shares items; tweak your Internet Explorer easily.

Misc. Utilities

Show the collection of Windows utilities; split and merge any file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download ............... hotfile.com

Sharecode ............................. /links/14074841/ea0b541/Windows_7_Manager_v1.1.3__Key.rar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope it helps !

Cheers

Jofre

jofre... Windows 7 Manager has already been posted before by Kotaxor (check a few posts above) and in the downloads section.

jofre... Windows 7 Manager has already been posted before by Kotaxor (check a few posts above) and in the downloads section.

--------------------------------------

So...It seems it`s time to go to :sleep:

see you ...

Hey ! Mine is v.1.1.3 and @kotaxor is v.1.1.2 . Is it true ? I don`t know...

Jofre

It's true but 1.1.3 was posted separately in a topic. But it doesn't matter ;) Thank you for the input, since you didn't know it... appreciate it.

Dear jofre, Thanks for the new version of Windows 7 Manager. Doesn't matter where you post it....it's still a Tweak for Windows 7.

As said before I do not have Win7 installed yet.

The Application " WinTuning7 - v.1.01" was posted here before. Now found " WinTuning 7- v.1.02 " with a patch.

Download from here :-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download ........................ Hotfile.com

Sharecode ....................................... /links/14218973/f600724/WinTuning.7.v1.02.incl.patch.rar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope it helps .

Cheers

Jofre

Imo, Win 7 is one OS that really doesn't need the kind of tuning that OS's used to need. Most things are already optimized right OOTB and it just runs very well in most cases. Just needs to be defragged, although it even has that preconfigured, iirc. But I prefer to use a 3rd party app for that anyway.

That is not to say that some customization is still probably desirable. For example, Win 7 Manager made it easy for me to get rid of some annoying entries in some right click context menus. And I added a bunch of items I wanted to certain context menus using other apps. For example, I made my "Computer" right click context menu look like this. (Note: "run cleanup" is disk cleanup and "programs" is add/remove programs.)

post-13696-12547831131_thumb.png

Nice....I, too use Windows 7 Manager to revamp by Context Menu, especially removing some Office 2007's item. LOL

I also used it to hide certain Drive, eg usb thumbdrive which I use for ReadyBoost (Don't want it be remove accidently)

Imo, Win 7 is one OS that really doesn't need the kind of tuning that OS's used to need. Most things are already optimized right OOTB and it just runs very well in most cases. Just needs to be defragged, although it even has that preconfigured, iirc. But I prefer to use a 3rd party app for that anyway.

That is not to say that some customization is still probably desirable. For example, Win 7 Manager made it easy for me to get rid of some annoying entries in some right click context menus. And I added a bunch of items I wanted to certain context menus using other apps. For example, I made my "Computer" right click context menu look like this. (Note: "run cleanup" is disk cleanup and "programs" is add/remove programs.)

Nice! Similar to my Win7Quicky on Post #3. I think I will change the icons on mine though.

So Ive been testing the RTM. I dont like the Aero skin. Anyone using a much more minimalist skin? In XP I always used a skin called "521" it had a small up arrow for the start menu, the task bar was only a few dozen pixels high(the same size as Firefoxes bottom bar that reads "done" after it is done loading a page), everything was small and stayed out of my work area.

SacredCultivator

Just wondering, as I know i loved this little thing from XP/Vista.

For example, as I like to look at the contents of my Recycle Bin before usign CCleaner to delete things.

I remember for both XP/Vista, you are able to see the Filesize of the contents (Ctrl+A / Select all) including both files/folders.

But for Win7, I notice that if you have folders in the Recycle Bin, and select all, you get the 'Show more details', and even then you don't see the filesize.

So was wondering if it's possible to change a setting to make it show, or did Win7 completely remove that?

It's nothing 'major' but just an annoyance to me if anything.

Thanks.

Just wondering, as I know i loved this little thing from XP/Vista.

For example, as I like to look at the contents of my Recycle Bin before usign CCleaner to delete things.

I remember for both XP/Vista, you are able to see the Filesize of the contents (Ctrl+A / Select all) including both files/folders.

But for Win7, I notice that if you have folders in the Recycle Bin, and select all, you get the 'Show more details', and even then you don't see the filesize.

So was wondering if it's possible to change a setting to make it show, or did Win7 completely remove that?

It's nothing 'major' but just an annoyance to me if anything.

Thanks.

On my WIn 7 RTM, if you "select all," at the bottom of the explorer box it has a link that says "show more details." If you click that, it shows you the total file size. I just checked and this works in the recycle bin the same way.

If yours isn't doing this, you probably need to change something under the "organize" "layout" options. Probably need to check/enable the "show details pane."

SacredCultivator

Hmm, it works if allt he files aren't folders, but if there are multiple folders then the size isn't shown...

Here is a picture of the Details Panel

94984945.th.jpg

All items are .exe EXCEPT for one FOlder, and just that folder alone throws off the selection and doesn't show the filesize

And that's after I clicked on "Show more details"

And enabling Status Bar is just pointless as that doesn't really do much.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard this from Leo. I have not used it but just want to mention it here. It seems like a good idea.

This is a new service from Secure by Design Inc. that allows you to select from a slew of popular (and free) software, and then have it all installed at once – in the background.

http://ninite.com/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4774/getvolery-makes-installing-software-incredibly-simple/

Volery (Now Ninite) Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple

GetVolery Ninite is a cool new service created by two programmers in San Francisco who believe that installing software shouldn’t require work. It’s simple to use and has a large selection of popular freeware and open source applications. Just pick the apps you want to install, download the Ninite installer, then walk away and do something fun while it does all the work for you. The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in. Ninite isn’t even installed on your system, you just use a stand alone executable to begin the install process.

I tried it the other day. Worked pretty well. Would be really convenient for installing a lot of commonly used free apps after clean installing a new OS. They cut out the stuff like Ask toolbar, yahoo toolbar etc. so you don't have to worry about that.

• 2 weeks later...
SacredCultivator

Thanks for hte link, found out that TCP Optimizer doesn't work with Win7 =P, so had to get the new one for Vista, to test.

Was planning to ask of an alternative to tweaking network opposed to TCP Optimizer ^^, but seems they already have a Vista version.

---

EDIT:

Bah if anything jsut restoring all to default and trusting that Windows 7 Manager does a decent job at optimizing the connection since it is designed specifically for Win 7

Archived