Windows 7 Tips

box

I'm thinking that we should post good tips and tricks we discovered and post them here. Please link to the original source if possible. Also let us know if you have tried them and whether or not they work. One last criteria, the tips and tricks should be FREE!

• Replies 108
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 7 Quicky v1.1-Beta

This program is a BETA. It is not a tweaking/optimization program. I made this program to make Windows a tad easier to manage. All it does is put shortcuts in the context menus. This program was made for Windows 7, but it also works on Vista and XP with limitations. All of the shortcuts use only programs that are native to Windows. This program doesn't add any feature to your computer that your computer is not capable of. For example, if you disabled hibernation, then having a [Hibernate] shortcut would not make your computer go into hibernation when you click it.

If you have inputs, please post them in the thread below. Thanks!

Change Log:

v1.1 Beta

Removed: Aero (Enable/Disable)

Added: Windows Update

** WARNING **

Use Antivirus programs to scan and make sure that it is not infected with malware.

http://www.virustotal.com/

Installation:

1. Make sure that you use the old version (v1.0 Beta) to remove all the shortcuts first.

2. Execute the program.

3. To [Enable], select only those items that you want, then click [ENABLE]. To [Disable], just select only those items, then click [DISABLE].

4. Click on your Desktop and press F5 to refresh Windows. If necessary, please LOG OFF.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zwgdwokzjek/Win7 Quicky.zip

I have a great tip!

Have you noticed that Aero Peek is too slow to show the thumbnail previews of your programs?

aero_peek_03.jpg

It's slow because Microsoft made the time to display the thumbnails to 400ms, in my opinion this is too much. I have changed mine to 40ms, this is just right. It gives enough time for you to see the animation (when the thumbnails pop up from bottom), but is very quick at the same time.

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the white line (Start Search) area, type regedit and press Enter.

3. If prompted by UAC, click on Yes to allow.

4. In regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse

5. In the right pane, right click MouseHoverTime and click on Modify.

6. Type in a number between 0 to 4000 (400 is default) for how many milliseconds, and click on OK.

7. Close regedit.

8. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply the changes.

Source: Brink @ Sevenforums

Here are some tweak, copy to notepad and save it as a .reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

"AutoEndTasks"="1"

"HungAppTimeout"="1000"

"MenuShowDelay"="8"

"WaitToKillAppTimeout"="2000"

"LowLevelHooksTimeout"="1000"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"NoLowDiskSpaceChecks"=dword:00000001

"LinkResolveIgnoreLinkInfo"=dword:00000001

"NoResolveSearch"=dword:00000001

"NoResolveTrack"=dword:00000001

"NoInternetOpenWith"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]

"WaitToKillServiceTimeout"="2000"

Then double click to merge.

• Administrator

In order for Microsoft to verify legitimate versions of Windows 7, users must activate their copies of the operating system within a finite time limit. On first inspection, that time limit appears to be 30 days, but as was the case with Windows Vista, there is a way to stretch that limit to nearly four months.

Like Windows Vista, the upcoming Windows 7 comes with a command line utility called the Software License Manager (slmgr.exe) that allows the user to issue "-rearm" switch that will reset the countdown timer back to 30 days. This command may be issued a maximum of three times. If a user issues this command at the end of each 30-day period for three times, he or she would be able to use Windows 7 unrestricted for up to 120 days.

* Start the command line by clicking Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt (Run As Administrator) – or for a shortcut, hit the Windows Key + R and type "cmd".

* At the command line, enter in "slmgr –rearm" without the quotations.

* Restart Windows 7.

Interestingly enough, the Microsoft representative said that extending the activation grace period using the slmgr is not a violation of the EULA.

Source: Toms Hardware

A little registry tweaks :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"ExtendedUIHoverTime"=dword:00000064

This will Adjust Taskbar Thumbnail Delay Time in Windows 7

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"ThumbnailLivePreviewHoverTime"=dword:000003e8

This will Adjust Taskbar Thumbnail Live Preview Delay Time in Windows 7

• 3 weeks later...

Not much tips and tricks...isn't it?

Well....here are some:

How to remove unwanted items in Customization Box

=======================================

You can enable/disable this feature using Taskbar Properties. You can also customize which icons should be always visible or hidden.But how do you remove the icons after you have already uninstalled the program.

Here is a registry tweak to remove past icons in customization box:

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now goto following key:

For Windows XP:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

For Windows Vista and 7:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 2 Binary values:

• IconStreams
  • PastIconsStream

Remove_Notification_Area_Icons_H-1.png

4. Delete both of them and log off or restart your system. It'll clear the "Hide Inactive Icons" history and all those unwanted icons from uninstalled programs.

Not much tips and tricks...isn't it?

Well....here are some:

How to remove unwanted items in Customization Box

=======================================

You can enable/disable this feature using Taskbar Properties. You can also customize which icons should be always visible or hidden.But how do you remove the icons after you have already uninstalled the program.

Here is a registry tweak to remove past icons in customization box:

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now goto following key:

For Windows XP:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify

For Windows Vista and 7:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 2 Binary values:

• IconStreams
  • PastIconsStream

Remove_Notification_Area_Icons_H-1.png

4. Delete both of them and log off or restart your system. It'll clear the "Hide Inactive Icons" history and all those unwanted icons from uninstalled programs.

I was looking for this. I will test it out. If it works, I will add it to my Win7Quicky.

How to disable taskbar thumbnail live preview? I tried several guides which I found in Google... I will include the links to the guides, maybe it will help you. But is there a way to disable the live previews which actually works (except for disabling aero) ? I would like to keep it simple with labels, because I don't look at the thumbnails.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-live-previews-in-windows-7/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/

http://www.vista123.net/content/how-disable-taskbar-live-thumb-preview-windows-7

http://www.webtlk.com/2009/07/23/how-to-disable-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7/

• Administrator

Place a Fully Functional Recycle Bin on your Windows 7 Taskbar (Also pretty much tells you how to enable the old "Quick Launch" ;) )

Link

Enable Windows Firewall for only selected network adaptors

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Advanced Settings\Properties

Place a Fully Functional Recycle Bin on your Windows 7 Taskbar (Also pretty much tells you how to enable the old "Quick Launch" ;) )

Link

Enable Windows Firewall for only selected network adaptors

Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Advanced Settings\Properties

TY, will use it when my pc gets back :)

How to disable taskbar thumbnail live preview? I tried several guides which I found in Google... I will include the links to the guides, maybe it will help you. But is there a way to disable the live previews which actually works (except for disabling aero) ? I would like to keep it simple with labels, because I don't look at the thumbnails.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-live-previews-in-windows-7/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/15/disable-and-turn-off-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7-switch-to-list-view/

http://www.vista123.net/content/how-disable-taskbar-live-thumb-preview-windows-7

http://www.webtlk.com/2009/07/23/how-to-disable-taskbar-thumbnail-preview-in-windows-7/

Increase mouse hover time (to effectively disable thumbnail preview):

Type regedit in your start menu. Open it up, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then to

Control Panel, then to where it says Mouse, then go to MouseHoverTime to the

right, it will have a value of 400. double click on MouseHoverTime, increase

the 400 to a ridiculously high number. Log off, then log on or restart computer

to take effect.

Increase mouse hover time (to effectively disable thumbnail preview):

Type regedit in your start menu. Open it up, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then to

Control Panel, then to where it says Mouse, then go to MouseHoverTime to the

right, it will have a value of 400. double click on MouseHoverTime, increase

the 400 to a ridiculously high number. Log off, then log on or restart computer

to take effect.

Not the thing I'm looking for... it will not show me anything then. I would like a list of simple lables to appear after hovering over with mouse... like in non-aero theme.

Not the thing I'm looking for... it will not show me anything then. I would like a list of simple lables to appear after hovering over with mouse... like in non-aero theme.

This approach does present a list of simple labels rather than the thumbnails - at least it did for me. Have you tried it? I, too, was looking for a more elegant solution but settled for the mouse hover mod.

How can it present anything if it will wait for a ridiculously long time to show anything? Can you make a screenshot of what it will show and after how long time?

How can it present anything if it will wait for a ridiculously long time to show anything? Can you make a screenshot of what it will show and after how long time?

It does. When you hover over a minimized program, say Word, you'll quickly see a textual representation of what's been minimized.

Testing it will take you about one minute of your time rather than wondering if "it works." If it's not what you're looking for - if I've misunderstood your need...ok. Just give it a shot. Nothing to lose but one minute.

I changed the control panel > mouse registry setting but nothing changed anyway... I think it's because I set the hovertime in several different places (yeah I know, you can change it in like 3-4 different places and then wonder which one is the one which actually affects it).

But I'm getting the idea about the labels you mean. They are just the title indicators or something.... try non-Aero theme, you will then see what I'm chasing.

Found this Program for Win7 :--» Win7 Tunning 1.01.

Mine is WinXP and of course I can`t test this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Download ....................... Mediafire.com

ShareCode .........................................../download.php?2mnmztwingm

WinTuning 7 v1.01 13,0 MBs

1. What is WinTuning 7?

With WinTuning 7 you can easily customize, optimize, tweak and enhance your Windows 7. WinTuning 7 is the most powerful tweaking and customizing All-In-One utility designed for Windows 7 exclusively.

WinTuning 7 bundles more than 10 different utilities in one! Get access to hundreds of hidden options to improve system's performance and security, erase junk files, optimize network to speed connection, turn off a computer by a timer, and many other miscellaneous utilities.

2. Why WinTuning 7?

+ Checkboxes, edit areas etc - the simplest way to tweak and optimize Windows 7. No more long-path keys of the Registry Editor! No more keeping in memory a lot of difficult system commands.

+ A lot of image tips for tweaks. It will help you to understand what will happen in Windows 7 after the tweak is applied.

+ System Restore will allow not to worry for the actions made by the program and users. All changes can be cancelled.

+ The support of language files. You can translate this software to your native language by editing one text file in Notepad, for example. If you email us your translation you'll get free license key of WinTuning 7.

=================

WinTuning 7 v1.01 released (16-09)! Added new module WinTuning 7 Clients Control Center (WT7 3C). WT7 3C is a new function, based on client-server technology, for tweak and optimize a lot of network computers by one click. You can launch WT7 3C by clicking on "Open WinTuning 7 Clients Control Center (WT7 3C)" link on bottom-left corner of a WinTuning 7 main window. WT7 3C is in beta testing now. If you will found any error, please report us about it. Also you can change appearance of the main window by choosing a theme from a Settings window.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps

Cheers

jofre

Found this Program for Win7 :--» Win7 Tunning 1.01.

Mine is WinXP and of course I can`t test this.

Download ....................... Mediafire.com

ShareCode .........................................../download.php?2mnmztwingm

WinTuning 7 v1.01 13,0 MBs

1. What is WinTuning 7?

With WinTuning 7 you can easily customize, optimize, tweak and enhance your Windows 7. WinTuning 7 is the most powerful tweaking and customizing All-In-One utility designed for Windows 7 exclusively.

WinTuning 7 bundles more than 10 different utilities in one! Get access to hundreds of hidden options to improve system's performance and security, erase junk files, optimize network to speed connection, turn off a computer by a timer, and many other miscellaneous utilities.

2. Why WinTuning 7?

+ Checkboxes, edit areas etc - the simplest way to tweak and optimize Windows 7. No more long-path keys of the Registry Editor! No more keeping in memory a lot of difficult system commands.

+ A lot of image tips for tweaks. It will help you to understand what will happen in Windows 7 after the tweak is applied.

+ System Restore will allow not to worry for the actions made by the program and users. All changes can be cancelled.

+ The support of language files. You can translate this software to your native language by editing one text file in Notepad, for example. If you email us your translation you'll get free license key of WinTuning 7.

=================

WinTuning 7 v1.01 released (16-09)! Added new module WinTuning 7 Clients Control Center (WT7 3C). WT7 3C is a new function, based on client-server technology, for tweak and optimize a lot of network computers by one click. You can launch WT7 3C by clicking on "Open WinTuning 7 Clients Control Center (WT7 3C)" link on bottom-left corner of a WinTuning 7 main window. WT7 3C is in beta testing now. If you will found any error, please report us about it. Also you can change appearance of the main window by choosing a theme from a Settings window.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps

Cheers

jofre

After applying patch still says not registered with 30 days use remaining?

As jofre does not use Win 7 (Pity), he can't verify whether the patch is working.

If you are interested in 3rd party tweak, here is Windows Manager which you might like to try...I am using it and can confirm it is working.<_<

There is a x64 and x86 version, just install the correct version.

Site: ziddu.com

Sharecode: /download/6554494/Windows7Managerv.1.1.2Final.rar.html

Archived