New RAM issue

eurotrash

Hi guys (again),
I just bought some new RAM for my laptop, (ASUS K52F), and am greeted by the following error, Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. My BIOS recognizes the RAM, (8GB), but Windows doesn't boot. I re-inserted the old RAM (3GB) and all is well. Any ideas? Thx in advance!

Here is a link to the RAM I bought:

https://www.amazon.it/Crucial-CT51264BF160BJ-Memoria-PC3L-12800-204-Pin/dp/B009RBN6I6/ref=pd_cp_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V2BTT2P9F6T375JPQEK1

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us know the following details:

1. Windows version?
  2. OS is OEM/Retail/VL?

Try booting with Linux USB Installer and try booting. If it works, then the fault is Windows OS or its licensing & not hardware.

15 minutes ago, vissha said:

Let us know the following details:

1. Windows version?
  2. OS is OEM/Retail/VL?

Try booting with Linux USB Installer and try booting. If it works, then the fault is Windows OS or its licensing & not hardware.

1. Windows 10 Enterprise Anniversary Edition

2. OS should be VL, activated via KMSPico

I will try booting with Linux, just need to dl it... :)

Israeli_Eagle
5 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Windows 32 or 64 Bit?!?

32-Bit can only use max 3.2 GB RAM!

On 8/11/2016 at 5:07 PM, eurotrash said:

Read here for compatible Crucial SoDIMM for K52F:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//k52f

Hence, the model of SoDIMM you bought is not compatible for your laptop.

FYI: Most DDR3L SoDIMM supports DDR3 Slots. However, some like this one doesn't support.

Please check compatibility first before opting for any hardware or its components. This applies to s/w too. The flow below will help anyone buy things without future issues at-least for years.

1. Ask friends[trusted]/ known people[trusted] and gather ideas and options with pricing. Note it down with where to get and pricing.
  2. Visit the best benchmarking sites to get the complete truthful review of the supported products, their compatibility, test results/comparison, pricing, warranty .... Don't just stop with one site/person.
  3. Ask/Search for similar questions that you have or anything about the suitable products in good sites like Toms hardware/Techspot/
  4. Visit the suitable product sites and its forums. Research deeply to know more of it and make of of any issues reported using it.
  5. Create your list of suitable products within your budget from the above collective research.
  6. Now, buying online should have all these and you've to choose the best yourself: Privacy[Should not track you like Amazon does, should not ask for more personal and bank/card info, should not spam your mails], Better Support for Returns and Refund, Security, Cheaper Pricing, Good Sellers with Faster and Genuine product shipping. Note: Don't just go with the site listing of top sellers. Top Sellers are always not good sellers. Read seller reviews and their replies to know the deeper info.
  7. Check Payment System is Secure and Trustworthy. Don't get cheated with cashback offers. Read T&C carefully.
  8. Mostly buy using Debit/Online Wallet/Cash instead of Credit cards. If Credit card is the only option, then check with other trusted shopping sites for a better offer. Otherwise, opt for it and buy.
  9. Once delivered, check for authenticity and make sure you got the right one undamaged product. Test the product repeatedly, if possible on more than one device to ensure reliability.
  10. If you are buying in shops, then check if it is genuine, warranty, new or old, bargaining is the best to buy cheaper but not too much bargaining necessary.

41 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Thanks for the info. Oh well, better luck next time.

Does amazon accept returns?

Yes, Since it is a new one, you can just return & get refund or you could replace with supported RAM.

57 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Windows 32 or 64 Bit?!?

32-Bit can only use max 3.2 GB RAM!

It doesn't matter for his problem. Even though you boot on a 32bit windows OS, even if you have more than 4Gig properly inserted in the MB, you will boot normally and windows will see only 3.5Gig useable.

In it's case it can be incompatible RAM, RAM stick not inserted properly, or a defective RAM slot, try interchanging RAM slots and check carefully the plastic holders.

Otherwise test with memtest before OS boot using liveusb or livecd

• Administrator

Cannot think of anything else other than the voltage. All the suggested RAMs are of 1.35v, instead of your 1.5v.

However, other than that, even if a RAM runs at 1600MHz, the computer underclocks it to 1066MHz, should be of no problem. Even 8GB of total RAM should be of no problem.

I think either there is some problem in BIOS config, or bad RAM slot, or most likely, faulty RAM.

I suggest you check everything. If still does not work, then search for - K52F RAM - on that site. I found a few results. No sure of their quality though. You laptop seems to have two RAM slots, just add 4GB to current 4GB I think.

5 hours ago, rajeesh said:

looks like FSB mismatch ???

whats the FSB of old and new RAM

The FSB of the old RAM is 4:16 according to CPU-Z. Since I cannot boot with the new RAM, I do not know how to check the FSB

3 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Specs: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K52F/specifications/

So....... 8 GB are the maximum, but only DDR3-1066 !!

ASUS and Crucial seem to disagree on this. ASUS says 1066 MHz while Crucial says 1600 MHz.

CPU-Z Screenshots of old RAM:

SEcCcY.jpg       TN97xE.jpg

Israeli_Eagle

A weird size because 3 is no power of 2 (simple math).

Anyway... Check voltage for your new RAM (if you have a full BIOS and full settings)! Either use only 1.5V RAM or change the BIOS settings to 1.35V. They are not always detected automatically and hopefully not burnt them already...

12 hours ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

A weird size because 3 is no power of 2 (simple math).

Anyway... Check voltage for your new RAM (if you have a full BIOS and full settings)! Either use only 1.5V RAM or change the BIOS settings to 1.35V. They are not always detected automatically and hopefully not burnt them already...

How do I change BIOS voltage?

Israeli_Eagle
1 hour ago, eurotrash said:

How do I change BIOS voltage?

In a normal motherboard BIOS it's quite easy to change all voltages, but mobile devices are most often very limited.

Maybe you should also update your BIOS if possible, newer versions can detect more DRAM types automatically.

On 8/12/2016 at 4:12 PM, rajeesh said:

ok post pics of both the RAMs (where it mentions the speed, type etc.). 

i cannot boot the laptop with the new RAM, so I am unable to post pics of the specs. Here is the amazon link, which gives the specs. The one I bought is the 8GB kit (2x4GB) which is 1.35v instead of the single 4GB which is 1.5v. (maybe I should have bought two of those) 

https://www.amazon.it/Crucial-CT51264BF160BJ-Memoria-PC3L-12800-204-Pin/dp/B009RBN6I6/ref=pd_cp_147_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V2BTT2P9F6T375JPQEK1

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ram density.  If your memory controller doesn't support high density ram this could be your problem.

Unfortunately this kind of information is not readily available when you buy ram. You will have to contact the laptop manufacturer to know what is supported.

Once you have that knowledge you will have to do the same with the ram manufacturers to learn what's the density of the ram they are selling.

I'm not speaking out of experience here. I got that info from tomshardware.com.

• Administrator

Just checked the model number. It leads to this. The RAM you have bought is DDR3L, your laptop only allows DDR3. Get it replaced by a DDR3 RAM instead.

On 14/8/2016 at 6:10 PM, lurch234 said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the ram density.  If your memory controller doesn't support high density ram this could be your problem.

Unfortunately this kind of information is not readily available when you buy ram. You will have to contact the laptop manufacturer to know what is supported.

Once you have that knowledge you will have to do the same with the ram manufacturers to learn what's the density of the ram they are selling.

I'm not speaking out of experience here. I got that info from tomshardware.com.

Indeed. I was once going to go for a powerful, high clocked, big sized RAM, then I came to know that my chipset if I'm correct, allows max 256MB or 512MB, either of those, max, per chip. So had to go for double, small sized, normal clocked RAMs instead of them.

Archived