Problem Merging Partions - SOLVED

eurotrash

Hi all, 
I am having problems merging two partitions. The drive in question is the old hd from my laptop. I went into Disk Management, deleted both partitions, recreated one, and attempted to merge with the unallocated space. I recieved this popup,

Untitled2.jpg 

selected yes, and got the following error,

Untitled.jpg 

Does anyone know what I did wrong? I have Windows 10 Enterprise x64 anniversary edition.

Thanks in advance, eurotrash

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Use third party programs...

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Suite

EASEUS Partition Master

Gnome Partition Editor (GPartEd) Live

Also, can you post a screenshot of your config (disk management)?

i don't see anything wrong in your config

Note that recently, some users reported problems with Windows 10 Anniversary Update when dealing with partitions

Just use one of the above mentionned programs and see if it can solve your problem

If not, then you have to modify your partitions using a different OS

You can also hook up your hdd in another machine with other OS installed and perform actions

The hard drive partions is/are not in any way related to the operating system. 
You can create, edit, change size, rename, split or join, etc., whatever, even if there is no operating system at all. Simply must have for example boot disk or USB and partition manager tool.

Thus, there can be no relation with the partition and the Windows 10 upgrading or updating.

3 hours ago, eurotrash said:

Untitled2.jpg 

This error is because you have a MBR partition layout which supports 4 primary partitions OR 3 primary and one extended partition. These 4 partitions (all 4 primary OR 3 primary+ 1 extended) can be on a single hard drive or many hard drives (as in your case).

To create more than 4 primary partitions with an MBR partition table the Basic disk is converted to Dynamic disk.

Just create the new partition as extended and your problem is solved.

I would recommend to take all your data of this drive and repartition it. Also check it with Crystal Disk Info to see it has bad sectors or not.

Thanks for replying everyone. I installed EASUS, here is the screenshot 

smdPml.jpg

I selected merge, and here is the result

Ati3SB.jpg

should I convert the partitions to logical?

Why so much primary partitions? One or maximum two is enough. The other (s) may be logical partitions for example.

If don't want to instal, here is two portables, pro versions, med is in Other folder.

File: MacroritPartitionExpertProPortable 3.9.8.0 English.paf.exe
Size: 4.1 MB

Site: https://www.datafilehost.com
Sharecode[?]: /d/bc49d59e

File: PartitionWizard 9.1 Pro English.paf.exe
Size: 25.81 MB

Sharecode[?]: /d/62a6dd23

NB! Do not make many partitions, min is two, best is three, maximum is four. This is my recommendation.
Main (primary), where is OS and which is bootable, let it be no more, then 200-300 GB. It is more important, if You have HDD drive and less important, if is SSD.

10 minutes ago, eurotrash said:

Thanks for replying everyone. I installed EASUS, here is the screenshot 

should I convert the partitions to logical?

Not, but may, but one must stay as primary - this one, where is the booting data.

5 hours ago, Kalju said:

Why so much primary partitions? One or maximum two is enough. The other (s) may be logical partitions for example.

If don't want to instal, here is two portables, pro versions, med is in Other folder.

File: MacroritPartitionExpertProPortable 3.9.8.0 English.paf.exe
Size: 4.1 MB

Sharecode[?]: /d/bc49d59e

File: PartitionWizard 9.1 Pro English.paf.exe
Size: 25.81 MB

Sharecode[?]: /d/62a6dd23

NB! Do not make many partitions, min is two, best is three, maximum is four. This is my recommendation.
Main (primary), where is OS and which is bootable, let it be no more, then 200-300 GB. It is more important, if You have HDD drive and less important, if is SSD.

I converted the two primary partitions to logical, and it still will not allow me to merge. (greyed out). I tried the app u gave me, PartitionWizard 9.1 Pro, and that will not allow me to merge either.

I think, that You must read, how to do it for example on homepage, because it is a bit long story for teaching here.
Only one question, did you marked these partitions, what You need to join and then clicked Merge, then Next,... and the if all is done, then on top left Apply. (The first big button)

12 minutes ago, Kalju said:

I think, that You must read, how to do it for example on homepage, because it is a bit long story for teaching here.
Only one question, did you marked these partitions, what You need to join and then clicked Merge, then Next,... and the if all is done, then on top left Apply. (The first big button)

Finally it worked! Had to use Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Premium, it was the only app that let me select both partitions. Thank you for all ur help!:)

Archived