Buying an IEM headphone

rudrax

I am going to buy a IEM next month. My budget is 1200 rupees (indian currency) tight. After a whole lot of research I am stuck between Audio Technica ATH-COR150iS and Brainwavz Omega.

Brainwavz has noise isolation which is a premium thing at that price range. I have also never owned a headphone with noise isolation. So I have no idea about how a headphone having noise isolation sounds.

The Audio Technica one has clarity and great bass output at that price range. I am a bit of bass head.

What do you guys think? Which one should I buy? 

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lemonforest

If I'm not mistaken, it's passive noise isolation.  The rubber plunger looking thing makes a a seal with your ear canal which can cause some people discomfort as that's also how it's meant to stay in place. 

While it is a simple method of doing noise isolation it is also fairly effective but I, personally, wouldn't buy another set like that since they do hurt my ears after a while just from the pressure.

Even if you are going to buy your headphones online you should find the (physical) store where you can try them and compare BY YOURSELF.

Sound reception and sound preferences vary from one person to another so any potential advices are subjective and of a little value.

8 minutes ago, mona said:

Sound reception and sound preferences vary from one person to another

+1

2 hours ago, lemonforest said:

If I'm not mistaken, it's passive noise isolation.  The rubber plunger looking thing makes a a seal with your ear canal which can cause some people discomfort as that's also how it's meant to stay in place. 

While it is a simple method of doing noise isolation it is also fairly effective but I, personally, wouldn't buy another set like that since they do hurt my ears after a while just from the pressure.

So you are suggesting to go with Audio Technica. 

2 hours ago, mona said:

Even if you are going to buy your headphones online you should find the (physical) store where you can try them and compare BY YOURSELF.

Sound reception and sound preferences vary from one person to another so any potential advices are subjective and of a little value.

I wish, stores near me have kept those kind of brands. Here people gets shocked when I tell them I have a 1000 rupee headphone. Lol. I have to go to the city to buy those kind of brands which is 200 km away. Also in local stores the headphone will cost 500 bucks more due to added local taxes. 

Please note :

Even if you are going to buy your headphones ONLINE ...

I was advising TESTING headphones in the (physical) store only.

Buying ONLINE is obviously more cost-effective and definitely the way to go.  :D

41 minutes ago, rudrax said:

I wish, stores near me have kept those kind of brands. Here people gets shocked when I tell them I have a 1000 rupee headphone. Lol. I have to go to the city to buy those kind of brands which is 200 km away. Also in local stores the headphone will cost 500 bucks more due to added local taxes. 

I see.... Looks like physical testing might be really difficult for you.

Most important you are aware of the risk.  Then you can make a more knowledgeable decision.

BTW

If you finally decide to go for testing - find a place where you can test both headphones one by one, and take your favorite music with you for those tests (the kind of music matters a lot too).

lemonforest
1 hour ago, rudrax said:

So you are suggesting to go with Audio Technica. 

Without being able to try out anything, I would not choose headphones that suction into my ear simply because I know they bother me.  That said, you would hear more background noise but that's handy when trying to cross a road.  The perceived sound would most likely be lower from headphones that do not restrict outside noise.  Perhaps, if buying from Amazon, check to see if it is a returnable item.  Not really sure what else you can do if trying out at a physical location isn't an option.

Is my conversion right? 1200 = £13 or $17 US.

Normally i'd suggest heading over to http://www.head-fi.org/

But you'll possibly end up wanting to spend a LOT more if you read too much there. I remember when I was looking for iem's years ago, a brand that was way better than anything else under $50 was SoundMagic.

They became popular and prices went up. I've not looked for years now though as i've been happy with my Sennheisers (expensive). Maybe you can find some good deals for them still. I think PL30 was the one I bought, actually bought 3 or 4 they were so good. (Under £10 each back then)  Sound quality was amazing but build quality wasn't the best.  Once you hear decent headphones/earphones you could get the audiophile bug, and it's a very expensive hobby. I went from spending £10 to spending £200 on a pair. Then there's portable amps etc etc.

If you don't mind ordering from China there's an interesting thread about earphones from under $10 to $100. I haven't read it as I'd end up wanting to buy more. http://www.head-fi.org/t/805930/best-sub-100-chinese-brands-earphones-thread-hidden-gems-personal-favorite-best-deals-and-impressions-sharing-for-audiophile-on-budget-include-best-chinese-headphones-dap-section

I've no experience of the 2 you posted sorry, but make sure they come with an assortment of tip sizes to get the best fit. I like to use Comply tips but yeah, they're expensive, but oh so comfy.

The problem with trying in a shop is many iem's need burning in before sounding their best. (although some argue against this) ime it's very true. It may take anywhere from 10 to 100 hours of burning in before they reach their optimum sound. Maybe even more. Even my cheap SoundMagics got better with age. (about 30 hours I think)

1 hour ago, mona said:

There are discs created particularly for audio testing purposes.

You'll find some of them HERE.

Great music in this site.

19 minutes ago, avmad said:

The problem with trying in a shop is many iem's need burning in before sounding their best. (although some argue against this) ime it's very true. It may take anywhere from 10 to 100 hours of burning in before they reach their optimum sound. Even my cheap SoundMagics got better with age.

Just because burning improves sound quality indeed - shops (bigger retailers) usually offer already "burned" head(ear)phones for testing purposes. Or at least that's how it works in my country.   :rolleyes:

True, but they're usually the expensive ones. :D

One thing I hate is hearing other peoples earphones leaking sound. Please buy something only you can hear :ph34r:

49 minutes ago, vitorio said:

Great music in this site.

@vitorio , here is another "headphones topic" that was intended to be "music sources topic".

However people kept posting various stuff there :  music sources (you gonna find some more good links for music there) mixed with some headphones technical topics. Finally half of the thread was deleted due to ridiculous arguments.

Nonetheless you still might find there some interesting details if you are looking for music.

12 hours ago, rudrax said:

I am going to buy a IEM next month. My budget is 1200 rupees (indian currency) tight. After a whole lot of research I am stuck between Audio Technica ATH-COR150iS and Brainwavz Omega.

Brainwavz has noise isolation which is a premium thing at that price range. I have also never owned a headphone with noise isolation. So I have no idea about how a headphone having noise isolation sounds.

The Audio Technica one has clarity and great bass output at that price range. I am a bit of bass head.

What do you guys think? Which one should I buy? 

go for the Audio Technica ATH-COR150iS 

All IEMS should be noise isolating due to the fact that they plug out your ear canal from ouside noise... unless you have a VERY noisy environment (i.e. playing music in front a jackhammer)... 

and yes it is good to test a sample unit before you buy...

Thanks you guys for replying. I think, I will go with the Audio Technica. Amazon provides a 10 day return policy in case I am not satisfied. The IEM has good rating from the buyers.

Thank you all. 

On 16/07/2016 at 6:44 PM, mona said:

they do let you try them? well I don't think so..it's not very healthy to let each person try and put the In-ear headphone in their ears just for testing purposes..

1 hour ago, saeed_dc said:

they do let you try them? well I don't think so..it's not very healthy to let each person try and put the In-ear headphone in their ears just for testing purposes..

My experience is limited to headphoes - and yes they would let you try them.

Unfortunately I'm not sure about earphones. You are right, there  might be a hygienic problem with testing them.

Maybe someone else could give us more info particularly about earphones.....

earphones..... ? like earbuds used by apple?

They are cheap.. mileage varies acc to brand and model ...

one thing i dont like about earphones is they tend to make my ears itch from hours of use...

but they are best for outdoor use because they are light .. and they don't block outside noise

(the last thing you want is to get hit by a train or bus because you couldn't hear the ambient noise)

Best for indoor are the over the ear cup ones .. if you dont mind the weight..

Archived