Video card question

bruinator

Guys, I have this mobo   Motherboard     Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  and I have an ATI AMD radeon HD 5450 laying around. Could I use this on this mobo? If yes, is it better than the integrated card on the mobo? Plz let me know.

thx

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That motherboard supports pci express three point zero and your video card is pci express two point zero if Im not mistaken it should work.  I think the radeon is better as the radeon has GDDRFive memory I dont think the integrated video card has GDDRFive memory.

2 hours ago, bruinator said:

is it better than the integrated card on the mobo?

since 2010 the integrated GPU has migrated to the CPU.

your CPU should hosts an "HD 530". according to here, it is much better than Radeon HD 5450.

2 hours ago, Holmes said:

I think the radeon is better as the radeon has GDDRFive memory

here's a catch, HD5450 is an entry model which uses GDDR3.

The integrated video uses shared memory.  Maximum shared memory of 512MB.  Before inserting the Raedon run a speed test using a program like AIDA64, 3DMark or SISoftware.  Just do a search for benchmark on this site.  If you are using Win7 you could also try using the Windows experience Index.

18 minutes ago, mp3it said:

The integrated video uses shared memory.  Maximum shared memory of 512MB.

according to the official spec, it has a maximum shared memory of 1024 MB.

3 hours ago, bruinator said:

Guys, I have this mobo   Motherboard     Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  and I have an ATI AMD radeon HD 5450 laying around. Could I use this on this mobo? If yes, is it better than the integrated card on the mobo? Plz let me know.

thx

For what purpose do you need a discrete GPU? The "HD 530" that comes with the i5-6500 can do basic gaming. If you are not playing Hardcore games or editing videos, I won't recommend a discrete GPU. Build your primary deskrop first. Other addon components like the GPU, you can add later. And for your choice, the AMD HD 5450 is not a GPU to complement a 6th gen core i5. 

• Administrator

As I had mentioned earlier, as per the benchmarks, the build-in graphics of your CPU is more powerful than the AMD 5450. Now, unless somehow you manage to run dual graphics, which I think is only possible in the latest DirectX or maybe not possible at all, AMD 5450 will not be any use for you I think.

7 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

unless somehow you manage to run dual graphics, which I think is only possible in the latest DirectX or maybe not possible at all, AMD 5450 will not be any use for you I think.

HD5450 don't support DX12 so that's out of the question.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, player said:

HD5450 don't support DX12 so that's out of the question.

Forgot about that. So out of question to do that. :P

I couldnt find what the integrated video card name was my bad and I was thinking after I posted that the fiftyfourfifty was not really as good thank you for the correction.

20 hours ago, bruinator said:

on board best so thx.

use your 5450, it's better than your CPU's integrated GPU in every possible way because you have a less than average i5 CPU

• Administrator

I have owned AMD 5450, it's absolute BS. It is one of the most useless card I have used and I have used cards from the time AMD used to make their own cards.

The reason I say the build-in is better because, while there are not many benchmarks available, I think this suggests that the build-in GPU is better here.

1 hour ago, DKT27 said:

I have owned AMD 5450, it's absolute BS. It is one of the most useless card I have used and I have used cards from the time AMD used to make their own cards.

The reason I say the build-in is better because, while there are not many benchmarks available, I think this suggests that the build-in GPU is better here.

You could not have been more perfect in word choice...

When we observe that the link leads to "ordinary users benchmarks", with different configurations, poorly done or not, it should not take that into account ... at least not by me...

Play the games you have in both configurations, with and without the HD5450, and your satisfaction will give you the answer you seek. 

The reason for which intel HD 530 will be preferred is being with Skylake it will use DDR4 memory where the AMD HD 5450 uses DDR3. This will show major performance improvements over HD 5450 while used higher bandwidth DDR4 sticks. HD 5450 is just an old entry level card and HD 530 a latest thing. Although it is integrated, it does hold enough firepower to beat HD 5450.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, WALLONN7 said:

You could not have been more perfect in word choice...

When we observe that the link leads to "ordinary users benchmarks", with different configurations, poorly done or not, it should not take that into account ... at least not by me...

Play the games you have in both configurations, with and without the HD5450, and your satisfaction will give you the answer you seek. 

As you say, we can never be sure unless we test ourselves. All this is also limited by the lack of proper benchmarks or comparisons available.

TH did a benchmark, with 6450, which is a faster than 5450. See the last chart. While we can say they are testing processors quite powerful than mentioned here and the GPU speed is slightly higher, 1050 vs 1150 MHz, it does give us some idea about the performance of 5450, if, that is, they have tested that card with a powerful / same CPU.

Here are some more specifications of putting them in a though competition. :P

I would not be saying this, but I have personally used XFX Radeon HD 5450 1GB for couple of years, I am well aware of it's lack of power. While using it, I found a graphics card made a few years ago was beating it by a long way. Infact, I can go onto say that it is one of the rare graphics cards which can be beaten by a build-in GPU of a processor I think.

Israeli_Eagle
4 hours ago, DKT27 said:

As you say, we can never be sure unless we test ourselves. All this is also limited by the lack of proper benchmarks or comparisons available.

TH did a benchmark, with 6450, which is a faster than 5450. See the last chart. While we can say they are testing processors quite powerful than mentioned here and the GPU speed is slightly higher, 1050 vs 1150 MHz, it does give us some idea about the performance of 5450, if, that is, they have tested that card with a powerful / same CPU.

Here are some more specifications of putting them in a though competition. :P

I would not be saying this, but I have personally used XFX Radeon HD 5450 1GB for couple of years, I am well aware of it's lack of power. While using it, I found a graphics card made a few years ago was beating it by a long way. Infact, I can go onto say that it is one of the rare graphics cards which can be beaten by a build-in GPU of a processor I think.

The worst is shared memory! Half time CPU vs GPU are only waiting... That remembers me automatically the old Amiga ChipRAM. B)

too many opinions for a informative answer. Right now, intel and MS cant get the correct driver for the damn on board.

16 minutes ago, bruinator said:

too many opinions for a informative answer. Right now, intel and MS cant get the correct driver for the damn on board.

Forget Windows 10!!! My last tip...

Israeli_Eagle
52 minutes ago, WALLONN7 said:

Forget Windows 10!!! My last tip...

Maybe the board is not spyware compatible. ^_^

Archived