My possible build

bruinator

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The specs looks good for mid-range build. If you are planning to use a dedicated GPU in future or if you already have then I will suggest a 500W PSU. For boot drive use a good SSD like samsung 850 EVO. This might increase your budget by around $120 but the performance gain really worth it. 

8 hours ago, rudrax said:

The specs looks good for mid-range build. If you are planning to use a dedicated GPU in future or if you already have then I will suggest a 500W PSU. For boot drive use a good SSD like samsung 850 EVO. This might increase your budget by around $120 but the performance gain really worth it. 

Cool, but would it fit in the case of the tower like i asked?

thx

I dont think you can use that Asus Motherboard in your current HP case.

motherboard's dimensions are:  9.20" W - 7.60" L

HP case: 6.5" W - 14" H 

3 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

I dont think you can use that Asus Motherboard in your current HP case.

motherboard's dimensions are:  9.20" W - 7.60" L

HP case: 6.5" W - 14" H 

Thx my friend. It looks like a new tower as well then.

11 hours ago, bruinator said:

Cool, but would it fit in the case of the tower like i asked?

thx

Of course it will fit into the tower. A desktop tower is generally comes configured for multiple HDDs. You can look before buying towers. I would suggest to look into Cooler Master and Corsair ranges. Modern towers are familiar with SSDs. Even if they are not, you can buy clamps for the SSDs to fit inside of any incompatible tower. That will cost you as low as $5.

Also,  for the selection of RAM, I think your CPU (i5-4440) supports 1600 Mhz frequency out of the box. So you can use a step higher frequency i.e. 1800 Mhz as the chipset generally supports greater frequency than the CPU. So it will be beneficial. Frequency won't make any compatibility issue as long as the configurations are compatible. 

Thats a proprietary tower the motherboard in it now was made exclusively for that tower and you could try to line of the dimensions I dont think its going to work the way you want it to your better off buying a new tower..

4 hours ago, bruinator said:

Thx my friend. It looks like a new tower as well then.

Yeah, btw the hardware you're buying are a bit old unless you have a good reason for choosing them. honestly I bought a slightly better system 3 years ago from the same generation (Haswell) and right now in 2016 it needs a full upgrade. so what i'm saying is that you can buy the newest generation of that CPU, RAM and MB with the same prices (or a few $ more or less) from market. 

for instance, you can buy this CPU (Skylake gen) for only 5$ more and save more than 15$ each year due to lower power consumption :tehe:

Spoiler

comparison of i5 6500 (left one) vs. i5 4440 (right one)

Significantly newer manufacturing process 14 nm vs 22 nm A newer manufacturing process allows for a more powerful, yet cooler running processor
Higher turbo clock speed 3.6 GHz vs 3.3 GHz Around 10% higher turbo clock speed
Supports trusted computing Yes vs No Somewhat common; Allows for safer, more reliable computing
Better CompuBench 1.5 bitcoin mining score 29.18 mHash/s vs 13.95 mHash/s More than 2x better CompuBench 1.5 bitcoin mining score
Lower typical power consumption 52.81W vs 68.25W Around 25% lower typical power consumption
Newer Jul, 2015 vs Jul, 2013 Release date over 2 years later
Better overclocked clock speed (Air) 4.02 GHz vs 3.31 GHz More than 20% better overclocked clock speed (Air)
Lower annual home energy cost 15.66 $/year vs 20.24 $/year Around 25% lower annual home energy cost
Lower annual commercial energy cost 56.94 $/year vs 73.58 $/year Around 25% lower annual commercial energy cost
Better overclocked clock speed (Water) 4.12 GHz vs 3.34 GHz Around 25% better overclocked clock speed (Water)

8 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Yeah, btw the hardware you're buying are a bit old unless you have a good reason for choosing them. honestly I bought a slightly better system 3 years ago from the same generation (Haswell) and right now in 2016 it needs a full upgrade. so what i'm saying is that you can buy the newest generation of that CPU, RAM and MB with the same prices (or a few $ more or less) from market. 

for instance, you can buy this CPU (Skylake gen) for only 5$ more and save more than 15$ each year due to lower power consumption :tehe:

Reveal hidden contents

comparison of i5 6500 (left one) vs. i5 4440 (right one)

Significantly newer manufacturing process 14 nm vs 22 nm A newer manufacturing process allows for a more powerful, yet cooler running processor
Higher turbo clock speed 3.6 GHz vs 3.3 GHz Around 10% higher turbo clock speed
Supports trusted computing Yes vs No Somewhat common; Allows for safer, more reliable computing
Better CompuBench 1.5 bitcoin mining score 29.18 mHash/s vs 13.95 mHash/s More than 2x better CompuBench 1.5 bitcoin mining score
Lower typical power consumption 52.81W vs 68.25W Around 25% lower typical power consumption
Newer Jul, 2015 vs Jul, 2013 Release date over 2 years later
Better overclocked clock speed (Air) 4.02 GHz vs 3.31 GHz More than 20% better overclocked clock speed (Air)
Lower annual home energy cost 15.66 $/year vs 20.24 $/year Around 25% lower annual home energy cost
Lower annual commercial energy cost 56.94 $/year vs 73.58 $/year Around 25% lower annual commercial energy cost
Better overclocked clock speed (Water) 4.12 GHz vs 3.34 GHz Around 25% better overclocked clock speed (Water)

Saeed, Can you do me a favor plz or whoever call help put together a new desktop where i can get a cpu with I5 with best generation, asus mobo with or without 500 gb hd coz i already have one but want the ability to upgrade to an SSD, 8GB of RAM with the ability to add more and some expansion slots to upgrade other things. I am just an internet user, no gamer, no video editing and what not. If possible, i prefer not to spend more than $450.  thx

PS, if no one wants to help plz let me know so i can try another forum.

The Following build is fully compatible. Price should be around $450. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($66.49 @ OutletPC)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

1 minute ago, saeed_dc said:

There's no compatibility issues, you're good ^_^

Thx Saeed. someone suggested i purchase DDR3 1600 and 850 watt psu. I am not a gamer or editor. Do u agree with him?

@bruinator Better buy a motherboard which supports ddr4 ram as ddr3 era is gone. After 2 years you can upgrade ram and it will be compatible with softwares evolved over time

1 hour ago, Ghazi said:

@bruinator Better buy a motherboard which supports ddr4 ram as ddr3 era is gone. After 2 years you can upgrade ram and it will be compatible with softwares evolved over time

DDR3 will be around for another 5 to 10 yrs so I am not sure y u say that.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, bruinator said:

DDR3 will be around for another 5 to 10 yrs so I am not sure y u say that.

Not true. DRR3 will stop being supported in a year or two. Infact, motherboards with DDR3 might already have been stopped manufacturing by the companies if not now than sooner. DDR3, on top of that, will be more expensive than DDR4 by then.

I again say you are choosing a 2 gen ago build. I really think you have no use going for i5 if you do not game or have any editing or encoding work. New gen i3 Skylake, with DDR4 will still be a better choice here. Not only you may save some money, but make it long lasting.

Also, if you go for i3, without any external graphics card, then you can run your computer even on a 350W PSU, even calculated to check that.

6 hours ago, bruinator said:

Thx Saeed. someone suggested i purchase DDR3 1600 and 850 watt psu. I am not a gamer or editor. Do u agree with him?

You are already buying DDR3 1600 RAM, that PSU only comes in handy for you if you're planning to buy a high-end graphic card in the future. but you said you're not a gamer

On 3/30/2016 at 0:15 AM, rudrax said:

The Following build is fully compatible. Price should be around $450. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($66.49 @ OutletPC)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Rudrax, If it is not too much trouble can you search these again and come out with the cheapest figures I get $600. The only things I did was use amazon for mostly similar prices except a tower which I got from newegg and I added the price for a PSU. I would really appreciate you doing this for me.

2 hours ago, bruinator said:

Rudrax, If it is not too much trouble can you search these again and come out with the cheapest figures I get $600. The only things I did was use amazon for mostly similar prices except a tower which I got from newegg and I added the price for a PSU. I would really appreciate you doing this for me.

This is the latest possible build around your budget. Relying on one online merchant you can not get all the parts at your expected budget. So try looking from all the major vendors available. Also you can visit local retailers. Sometimes their prices are lower than online price. I will do the search for you and see what I get. 

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-I5-6500-FC-LGA14C-Processor-BX80662I56500/dp/B010T6CWI2 $194.99

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157636 $79.99

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820231886 $35.99

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820147371 $68.99

The above 4 components will cost you around $375. Now the remainings are PSU and the Cabinet under $75. Look for a cabinet with PSU included. This way the cost will be less. As you are not using a discrete GPU, PSU doesn't need to come with the best specification. Moreover the build is highly power efficient. It will hardly put any thottle one the PSU. Look for brands like Corsair, CoolerMaster, Circle, Thermaltake. 

55 minutes ago, bruinator said:

Yep, these two are completely compatible. The motherboard comes with a ATX form factor and the cabinet supports it. 

5 minutes ago, bruinator said:

also, is rudrax components and a 500 watt psu enough?  thx

For your current hardwares, a 350W PSU will be enough. A 450W enables the scope of adding a discrete GPU in future. 500W is overkill if you are not a gamer. 

18 minutes ago, rudrax said:

Yep, these two are completely compatible. The motherboard comes with a ATX form factor and the cabinet supports it. 

For your current hardwares, a 350W PSU will be enough. A 450W enables the scope of adding a discrete GPU in future. 500W is overkill if you are not a gamer. 

Thank you for all you have done. Now I just have to sell my tablet so i can order it.  lol

Archived