[HELP] Identifying chip/capacitor of Motherboard.

Dr. Blythe™

Dr. Blythe™

I got burned chip/capacitor on my motherboard last month due to sudden electricity spike. Surprisingly it's still working. I just want to replace it to be safe.

Due to its size I cannot upload it directly on this post so here is the external link: http://www.anonymz.com/?http://i63.tinypic.com/wlq8wp.jpg

Gigabyte seems no help for now. They don't have service center here in my country and the merchant where I bought it refused to take it for repair since it's out of warranty. Though, Gigabyte support suggested to me to bring it on a local repair shop. Now the local repair shop can't repair it unless I provided what kind of chip/capacitor is that. Surprisingly Gigabyte refused to tell me the details about the burned part! :s

Spoiler
Question: Good morning,<br /><br />Do you have service center here in the Philippines? My motherboard sparks and I don't know what to do. Do you think I need to buy a new one or this can be repair through RMA? Thanks. Please see attachment for the burnt marks. Its under or related to the 12v chip.<br /><br />This happened after the power went back because of a blackout.  

Answer:

Dear bjayetnap,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, we are sorry to inform you that we do not have service center for motherboard products in Philippines. If the product has physical damage like burned issue, it is not cover by warranty. We are afraid that you will have to contact your supplier for further assistance and see if they can arrange further service for you with service charge.

From your mail, the product is out of warranty. If your supplier can not help, we suggest you to see if local computer store can help you repair it with service charge.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

---------------------------------

Question: Gigabyte,<br /><br />Can you help me identify the type of the burned chip/capacitor encircled on the attached file? Thanks.2/21/2016 6:16 AM

Answer:

Dear bjayetnap,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. Since we do not sell the components individually and we do not suggest users to replace the components manually, in this case, we suggest you to contact your supplier (where you bought this product) and let them help you to arrange the repair service.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the model number of your motherboard?
Without it we can not help.

first of all-r u sure it is the only one problem with your mobo?

second-f*ck Gigabyte official,just replace it via fen & buy same one  in nearest pc shop.

all above imo as usually.

Dr. Blythe™
1 hour ago, tigertje said:

What is the model number of your motherboard?
Without it we can not help.

Model is Gigabye H61M DS2 rev 2.1

Thanks!

@gipsy

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure since I don't see any abnormalities since the incident. The board is still working like nothing happen.

I got burned chip/capacitor on my motherboard last month due to sudden electricity spike. Surprisingly it's still working. I just want to replace it to be safe.

Due to its size I cannot upload it directly on this post so here is the external link: http://www.anonymz.com/?http://i63.tinypic.com/wlq8wp.jp

Your techincian should understand this.

Most likely that is just filter capacitor for the power supply. I look through the schematics and from what I can see i's a 1 uF surface mount capacitor. If the previous poster can provide your with a board layout of that board. you can verify the part number through the schematic.

1 hour ago, nuthut said:

Most likely that is just filter capacitor for the power supply. I look through the schematics and from what I can see i's a 1 uF surface mount capacitor. If the previous poster can provide your with a board layout of that board. you can verify the part number through the schematic.

It was hard enough to find the schematics... :s

Archived