What are the these black circles for on WD HDDs

Sylence

What are the these black circles for on WD HDDs? 

15acf7.jpg

and some WD Black edition HDDs with exactly the same model as those having black circles, don't have these circles on them. is it something to be worried about?

5f0d91.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first one is a dalmatian.

no, seriously, those are pressure pads. where the robots are supposed to touch the disk while assembling it

3 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

fist one is a dalmatian.

no, seriously, those are pressure pads. where the robots are supposed to touch the disk while assembling it

:lmao:

Oh i see, thanks

3 minutes ago, davmil said:

Not to worry.  Difference in production batches between countries. 

Yes thanks so i won't send it back 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2016 at 2:22 PM, VileTouch said:

first one is a dalmatian.

Do you have any proof for your statements? because I have some that says something else

This PDF by western digital: http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/WDVMISPEC.pdf

it specifies what constitutes a tampered drive for warranty purposes, specifically page 7, the image in the bottom right corner.

5 hours ago, saeed_dc said:

Do you have any proof for your statements? because I have some that says something else

This PDF by western digital: http://support.wdc.com/Warranty/WDVMISPEC.pdf

it specifies what constitutes a tampered drive for warranty purposes, specifically page 7, the image in the bottom right corner.

the ones in the video are different color, but it's the same function.

anyway, is there anything wrong with the disk, other than the stickers?  s.m.a.r.t. show any problems?. if not i don't see a reason to return it.

51 minutes ago, VileTouch said:

the ones in the video are different color, but it's the same function.

anyway, is there anything wrong with the disk, other than the stickers?  s.m.a.r.t. show any problems?. if not i don't see a reason to return it.

SMART shows no problem

so you're saying that WD company in Thailand doesn't use robots to assemble hard disks! which is weird because these workers shown in the video seem to be Asian too

the plot thickens...

14 minutes ago, saeed_dc said:

SMART shows no problem

so you're saying that WD company in Thailand doesn't use robots to assemble hard disks! which is weird because these workers shown in the video seem to be Asian too

the plot thickens...

the word "robot" is used 9 times in the video. it might or might not mean that at least some of those workers aren't really human O.o

1 minute ago, VileTouch said:

the word "robot" is used 9 times in the video. it might or might not mean that at least some of those workers aren't really human O.o

Yes that's what i'm saying. my hard disk is made in Thailand and this company and its human workers and robots seem to be in Thailand as well :doh:

Reach out to support at WD, at the least have a supervisor confirm your questions, remembering to get their name and employee number, ask if the conversation can be Tran scripted and mailed to you.

One good way is to check the warranty status.

Although very unlikely, it is possible to buy a FAKE hard disk. It happened to me. I spotted the fake and got a refund.

8 hours ago, SURbit said:

Reach out to support at WD, at the least have a supervisor confirm your questions, remembering to get their name and employee number, ask if the conversation can be Tran scripted and mailed to you.

Okay I will do that, it's the only way to find out what's going on I guess but I'm worried that will be too much to ask

5 hours ago, vibranium said:

Although very unlikely, it is possible to buy a FAKE hard disk. It happened to me. I spotted the fake and got a refund.

I checked its guarantee status with the company and it was good, let me check the warranty status as well :)

14 hours ago, vibranium said:

it identifies the serial number but i don't understand the out of region part ??

Cddpture.PNG

Out of region = the warranty is covered in a different country or region.

This usually means that the disk you bought was not imported by an official country distributor.

1 hour ago, vibranium said:

Out of region = the warranty is covered in a different country or region.

This usually means that the disk you bought was not imported by an official country distributor.

Well that's not surprising. so nothing fake then

Archived